Why become a member? ×

Warwick Adam Clayton Reverso Bass

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Clarky' post='707392' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:47 AM']A bit like the sort of thing Def Leppard would have played in the big hair days[/quote]

which is why I like it, but then again I've got a zebra skin pattern Hamer Blitz that I love :)

[quote name='garethox' post='707809' date='Jan 10 2010, 04:16 PM']he is the bassist in one of the biggest bands in the world so does he want to be known as playing an 'Entwistle bass'? The answer was 'No' by the look of it, so he musta had Warwick rustle up his own version but with a 'nod' to John.[/quote]

Funny how this only applies to bassists. I don't think any guitarists have been bothered about been known as playing Lester William Polsfuss's signature model Gibson?

Re. Adam's bass playing, how many times have we seen threads and posts bemoaning bass pyrotechnics and technical virtuosity, and stating a preference for solid playing and songs? Here we have a bass player who does that, he does the perfect job for the band he is in and the songs he plays.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='708746' date='Jan 11 2010, 12:57 PM']Re. Adam's bass playing, how many times have we seen threads and posts bemoaning bass pyrotechnics and technical virtuosity, and stating a preference for solid playing and songs? Here we have a bass player who does that, he does the perfect job for the band he is in and the songs he plays.[/quote]
But is it the same people moaning?

No frills players seem to get derided a lot.I honestly have no opinion on the guy,i've never cared for U2,but he ca'nt be that bad a player.Any company would be stupid to endorse,or build a signature model for someone that was incompetent,no matter how famous they are.How long have they been going ?Still the original line up i take it ?

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='708767' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:12 PM']No frills players seem to get derided a lot.I honestly have no opinion on the guy,i've never cared for U2,but he ca'nt be that bad a player.Any company would be stupid to endorse,or build a signature model for someone that was incompetent,no matter how famous they are.How long have they been going ?Still the original line up i take it ?[/quote]

Yep, pretty much the original line up apart from the first year when The Edge's brother left the band. Been going for about 34 years which is pretty good going :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='708068' date='Jan 10 2010, 07:53 PM']Not sure that quote has any truth behind it at all. I certainly have never ever seen anything of the sorts quoted anywhere and from the people I know who have worked with him, they say he is one of the most in time reliable bass players around. Yes he plays a lot of eights but I bet you can't play ever single one of those notes dead on time, every time. That something Adam is spot on for doing without any drop in or retakes which is why he is considered a very tight solid bass player. Now, if that quote is about Bono then that makes sense. I have seen quotes like that relating to Bono and even Bono admits he can't play guitar.[/quote]

Linus

This will sound a bit anal retentive but what the heck!

The book u2 by u2, page 102, to quote Bono "He could play really complicated things easily and then be unable to clap in time, and you`d just be left scratching your head"

The other quote about being "able to play out of time in time" is also from the same book but I can`t find it. I`m not that anally retentive!

I actually like the band and I think his bass playing fits the songs perfectly, as it should considering they write the stuff.

Jez :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='708804' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:44 PM']Linus

This will sound a bit anal retentive but what the heck!

The book u2 by u2, page 102, to quote Bono "He could play really complicated things easily and then be unable to clap in time, and you`d just be left scratching your head"

The other quote about being "able to play out of time in time" is also from the same book but I can`t find it. I`m not that anally retentive!

I actually like the band and I think his bass playing fits the songs perfectly, as it should considering they write the stuff.

Jez :)[/quote]

HAHAHA thats quite funny. I have that book and I pass it everyday yet its the one U2 book I have not read. I hate books and reading and really can't get motivated to read it. That will teach me now :rolleyes:

TBH, I've no problem with Mr C's playing or his choice of bass.

Perhaps he's just one of those people whose face, while in repose, has an unconscious and unintentional tendency to form an expression of deep smugness. I'm sure that he is, in actuality, a perfectly nice chap whose simple but effective basslines have shepherded many a wayward tune to a happy conclusion.

While many affect to dislike U2, I found it significant that the gig which I attended had the highest ratio of females to males I'd ever seen at comparable assemblies. I consider this a [i]good[/i] thing, as it gave me something pleasant to look at while Bono was dissecting the shortcomings of Myanmar's military regime.

Edited by skankdelvar

I have a distinct urge to say 'horrible bassist, horrible looking bass' but that would be cruel and untrue. The bass isn't that ugly.

The bass just looks a tad radical looking for what he is going to be doing with it, but that is about it. He is a multi-millionaire and if he wants to play that bass then more power to him. If somebody wants to pay more than 3 grand just so they can play the same bass as the guy from U2, I would be a bit worried, but can't say I would care that much.

I would doubt Warwick are thinking they will sell that many off the guys name and people looking up to his technical skills on the fretboard. Its more the case that Warwick can say 'Adam Clayton could choose to play any bass in world, and he chooses to play Warwick basses'. Regardless of playing ability, having the bassist in one of the biggest bands in the world uses 'Type X' of a bass does mean something.

I seriously don't have a problem with it at all, it will probably be a great bass, albeit expensive. In a few years he will probably be playing something else, and he will probably keep using loads of different basses in the studio anyway.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='708920' date='Jan 11 2010, 03:04 PM']Why the hate? Adam plays the same instrument as you and me, an instrument you love and try to get as many people to play it as you can. I don't understand all the hate and the negative vibe.[/quote]

Not as if he's Bono is it?

Although he's in the same band so he's down as an accomplice.

I would have preferred a more Precision-like model
Can't say a bad thing about Adam Clayton (that tasteful slapsolo on "Gloria", that beautiful riff on "Stories for Boys", that groundshaking tone on "Mysterious Ways" that makes your car-speakers wiggle, that grinding sound on "New year's Day", "Vertigo" and "Sunday bloody Sunday", etc) I wonder how anyone can find these bass-lines boring or uninspired ?
He may look a bit unintrested, his bass-playing surely isn't to me
In my list he stands next to Mick Karn, Palladino, Levin, McCartney and other great bassplayers

[quote name='wombatboter' post='712260' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:19 AM']I would have preferred a more Precision-like model
Can't say a bad thing about Adam Clayton (that tasteful slapsolo on "Gloria", that beautiful riff on "Stories for Boys", that groundshaking tone on "Mysterious Ways" that makes your car-speakers wiggle, that grinding sound on "New year's Day", "Vertigo" and "Sunday bloody Sunday", etc) I wonder how anyone can find these bass-lines boring or uninspired ?
He may look a bit unintrested, his bass-playing surely isn't to me
In my list he stands next to Mick Karn, Palladino, Levin, McCartney and other great bassplayers[/quote]

Good post. I guess it depends where you come from as U2 have had such a long career, people hear about them at different stage. For example, I was talking to a great guitarist who plays in a U2 tribute band and he only got into U2 at the Achtung Baby era which is their 7th album. To me, this is when they started to lose it. The first 5 or 6 album for me are amazing with superb songs like New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Stories For Boys, Fire, Electric Co, Wire, Two Hearts Beat As One, Bullet The Blue Sky, Gloria etc etc. Great bass playing and definately not boring.

U2 was the first live concert I ever saw (in 1981 in Brussels).
You could feel that they would be big, they were special and not like other bands.
I like the way The Edge leaves the chords a bit open so Adam can find his own space.
There's also nothing wrong with playing eighth notes when the song requires this sort of playing...
I still prefer his Ibanez Musician bass, it really fitted him.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='712344' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:47 AM']U2 was the first live concert I ever saw (in 1981 in Brussels).
You could feel that they would be big, they were special and not like other bands.
I like the way The Edge leaves the chords a bit open so Adam can find his own space.
There's also nothing wrong with playing eighth notes when the song requires this sort of playing...
I still prefer his Ibanez Musician bass, it really fitted him.[/quote]

+1

I´m Irish and was pretty much forced into listening to U2 at school by my
friends. But I eventually got into them for a while. The 8th picking was a very simple way of anchoring the song while The Edge went and did his effects-soaked Flashy thing. And thats not a bad thing-no one complains about AC/DC´s sound being the same thing over and over!
I much prefer the earlier stuff as I reckon that the last few records are just U2 trying to sound like whatever Indie band is ´hip with the kids´ these days. The newest one has a serious attempt at sounding like Kings Of Leon and a few others like that
I personally HATE the look of his new Warwick, but I´m not really a fan of the look of any Warwicks (possible exception is the Vampyre). And while I think it just looks silly, I´m sure it´s a great sounding instrument, as Mr Clayton, despite questionable technical ability, always has a great bass sound. :)

PS,
I notice you are in Belgium. A lovely part of the world. I lived in Tervuren for 5 years when I was younger

[quote name='Musicman20' post='712190' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:02 AM']Not a comment just for this bass, but the entire new Warwick range is .... not to my tastes at all. Ive just seen some pics on their new 2010 basses. The Bootsy/Clayton ones are the worst by far hahaha.[/quote]

I dunno, I think the Thumb SC looks ace, and to be fair to the Bootsy bass, it's just a paint job on an Infinity.

Si

[quote name='Musicman20' post='712190' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:02 AM']Not a comment just for this bass, but the entire new Warwick range is .... not to my tastes at all. Ive just seen some pics on their new 2010 basses. The Bootsy/Clayton ones are the worst by far hahaha.[/quote]

The Rockbass 2010 range looks great though, the Corvettes and Fortress look stunning. I already own a German example of each, yet i'm GASsing! :)