Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

I'm gonna go with Stefan Lessard from Dave Matthews Band. Reeeeeeally underrated player. Everything he does just seems to be so well thought out.

Miroslav Vitous doesn't seem to get much of a mention anymore. Awesome player.

I love Avishai Cohen as well and again people don't tend to mention him when talking about really good jazz bass players.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='608443' date='Sep 25 2009, 10:19 AM']Miroslav Vitous doesn't seem to get much of a mention anymore. Awesome player.

I love Avishai Cohen as well and again people don't tend to mention him when talking about really good jazz bass players.[/quote]

Mmmmmm - I love Vitous, particularly with Chick Corea and Roy Haynes (on ECM), but Cohen I haven't decided on. I have a Claudia Acuna CD he is on where he plays great on one track but his sound sometimes fails to do it for me. Still, he's got time to get good. Sometimes its just about hearing these guys in the right setting.

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='606762' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:53 PM']Paul left Gary's band in 1981
Pino played on Music For Chameleons which is from 1982.
Paul died in 1984

In my opinion Paul's best work was Gary's Telekon album from 1980[/quote]

Gary Numan is pretty handy with the bass himself. His Jagged album is awesome!

• 6 months later...

I've just been going through my old Elton John records after watching a classic albums DVD where Gus Dudgeon raves about the bass player Davie Johnston? I'm guessing he's heard a few bassists In his time
so I thought I'd check it out. A song called Suzie (dramas) on an album called Honky Chateau is as funky as hell. An underated player indeed!

[quote name='TRadford' post='605494' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:38 PM']Another one for Tony Kanal from No Doubt. Even years ago before I ever though I'd touch a bass, I always listened to him and wished I could play some of the lines he does, especially "Different People" Im making it my goal to learn that song, dont care how long it takes.

Some of the songs from the lesser known first 2 albums are awesome too.[/quote]

[b]+10[/b]

Tony Kanal is totally underrated IMO. I think I mentioned him earlier on in this thread.

Different People is probably one of my favourite basslines ever to play. Closely followed by Spiderwebs.

I highly recommend the Live in the Tragic Kingdom DVD to check out his playing. I was lucky enough to see them on that tour in 1997? at Manchester Apollo and they rocked. Supported by the Vandals if I remember correctly who also brought the house down. Good times!

Edited by Jono

[quote name='rhino' post='44711' date='Aug 13 2007, 09:40 AM']How about:
Gordon Edwards - Atlantic sessions, Steve Gadd Band.,

Joseph "Lucky" Scott - Curtis Mayfield

Rhino[/quote]

Gordon Edwards with Stuff - Gadd, Richard Tee, Cornell Dupree, Eric Gale great live album/DVD from Montreux.
Tommy Cogbill - Dusty Springfield (Dusty in Memphis)
Two classic rock bassists that I've got as far as page 14 without seeing, John McVie and Roger Glover.

[quote name='Matt303' post='793227' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:53 PM']I've just been going through my old Elton John records after watching a classic albums DVD where Gus Dudgeon raves about the bass player Davie Johnston? I'm guessing he's heard a few bassists In his time
so I thought I'd check it out. A song called Suzie (dramas) on an album called Honky Chateau is as funky as hell. An underated player indeed![/quote]

+1 on this - he's got great taste. I guess if you've made your career playing in the support band for one of the biggest stars on the planet you tend to go unnoticed.

[quote name='Jono' post='795537' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:27 AM']Alex James is definitely under-rated.

Girls and Boys is a great line to play.

Just read his autobiography which is pretty good.[/quote]

Crap opera singer though! He seems to have become one of those people that turn up on music related programmes - Orange Next Band competition (channel 4), that conducting show and now the opera show. Probably take over from Simon Cowell on American Idol!

A chap called Sam Bolle for me - plays with Slacktone, Dick Dale and Agent Orange.
Saw him with DD at the Luminaire in Kilburn on Friday night, and the way they both just spontaneously played off each other and the drummer was just f*cking amazing - pure, raw, hi-energy surf rock 'n' roll. Some of the best I've seen, and Dick is 72!
Had a bit of a chat afterwards and he seems like a cool guy too. This is him playing with Slacktone;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdAJ_BtQ8kQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdAJ_BtQ8kQ[/url]

The guitar playing is just different gravy, but the bass aint too shabby either!
Not seen him mentioned on here before.

[quote name='Jono' post='795537' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:27 AM']Alex James is definitely under-rated.

Girls and Boys is a great line to play.

Just read his autobiography which is pretty good.[/quote]
Alex james?

Naa,he's certainly not underrated.......

but he is good at cheese .....

bass Playing? errr.....cant agree with you there old chum!!

But read his book too & and liked him for it,

anyone fancy a Guy Pratt style passit on?with Alex book?
lots of substance abuse stories and the like, but a happy end...PM if you'd like & I'll dig it out

W

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few i would have chosen have been mentioned already so i wont repeat myself,but a definate +2 for Jimmy Lea,for it is he who got me into following the 4 string faith.

Glenn Hughes....maybe better known as the" voice" but his bass playing was a huge influence on me when i started out.

Graeme Murray of Pallas....I like the cut of your jib sir!

Martin Gordon...his Rickenbacker playing on Sparks Kimono My House etc started my love affair with Ricks and over 35 years later i still havent been able to afford one.

Gary Strater of Starcastle (RIP).