Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

Jimi Jazz. He plays for G-love and special sauce. I saw them support Jack Johnson. Didnt think much of JJ's bassist, he did the whole root and 5th things all the way through every song. Yeh Jimi Jazz is an amazing upright bass player. Everyone should check him out.

Also Stuart Zender (former jamiroquai). He currently playing for Mark Ronson

[quote name='Normanbiscuit' post='97288' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:15 PM']Barry Adamson from Magazine who alas is probably overshadowed by the Best Lyricist and best Guitarist of that era.[/quote]

Personally I don't think anyone was overshadowed in Magazine. To me they're the epitome of a band of equals. McGeoch was fantastic though, such a loss!

[quote name='jmccabe' post='242790' date='Jul 18 2008, 03:20 PM']Personally I don't think anyone was overshadowed in Magazine. To me they're the epitome of a band of equals. McGeoch was fantastic though, such a loss![/quote]

Heard a Radio2 documentary about McGeoch and Steve Severin from the Banshees still reckons nobody can mimic the opening chord to 'Christine'...lol

[quote name='Master blaster' post='242789' date='Jul 18 2008, 03:16 PM']Jimi Jazz. He plays for G-love and special sauce. I saw them support Jack Johnson. Didnt think much of JJ's bassist, he did the whole root and 5th things all the way through every song. Yeh Jimi Jazz is an amazing upright bass player. Everyone should check him out.[/quote]

I've got their first CD (had some others - don't any more, don't miss them!) and it's great. Some really funky stuff going on, nice airy-sounding recordings. Win. Funnily enough I recommended them to someone who was listening to Jack Johnson a year or two ago.

Here are their [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x6kGSN0P8HA"]two[/url] [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mUH4zPdpbug"]hits[/url].

[quote name='Waldo' post='6556' date='May 25 2007, 03:07 PM']I say this each time one of these theads comes up: Andy Rourke, of The Smiths. Fantastic player.[/quote]
+1
Andrew Levy - Brand New Heavies
Michele Stodart - Magic Numbers
Mark Stoermer - The Killers
Mark Bedford - Madness

Edited by stingrayfan

There was a band a few years back called Rootjoose from Cornwall. I was completely obsessed with them and musically and technically they were brilliant. Their bass player Harry Collier inspired me to play (and buy a natural stingray) check out their debut album if you can it is brilliant music and more importantly the bass playing is absolutely superb, extremely clever and musical and he finds places betweeen the two guitarists you would never think of. great rock pop bass player and his lines 8 years after i bought the album still make me smile and inspire me.

please note Harry Collier was also the frontman and bass player for Cubb, DO NOT JUDGE HIM ON THIS! they were sh*t but rootjoose are awesome.

[quote name='Alun' post='12000' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:13 PM']+1. His lines are great fun to play.

Ewan Vernal (spelling?) from Deacon Blue - lots of great playing, especially on lesser known tracks
Graham Maby with Joe Jackson - especially the live version of "Fools In Love"
Winston Blissett - UK session player
Steve Pearce - another great sessioner

and from the upright jazz world, some great UK players - Paul Morgan, Jeff Clyne and Roy Babbington - all worth investigating.
Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

You can add Trevor Barry and Andy Pask to the Uk list.

Garry

Stan Stammers, Spear of Destiny

Alan Anton ; Cowboy Junkies

Robert Vickers; The Go-betweens

Martin Casey; The Triffids and the Bad Seeds

Tracey Pew; The Birthday Party

Warwick Gilbert ; Radio Birdman , original lineup.

....and many, many other obscure bassists that appear in my Cd collection :)

[quote name='JJTee' post='11739' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:34 AM']Don't hate me, but I think [b]Rutger Gunnarsson[/b], the chap who played most of the ABBA bass lines, is a superb player...

Go on, force yourself to listen to stuff like Money Money Money, Dancing Queen, One of Us...

Some great melodic lines.[/quote]

+1...one of my all-time faves (also best pop band ever IMHO).

I'd also add Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow. Very inventive and melodic, good chops, and utterly unique; to this day I've never heard anyone who sounds anything like him.

[quote name='gilmour' post='45149' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:28 AM']What ????

Duff is a terrible player, an insult to Bassists everywhere

If memory serves me right he was a guitar player who couldn't get a gig as a guitarist so started to play bass.

Thas hardly does our beloved bottom end justice[/quote]

Doesn't that go for half of us? :)

Actually, I think Duff's ok. But then I tend to like quite twangy, guitaristic players (The Ox, Chris Squire, Joey DeMaio, Lemmy, Stan Clarke, Mark King, JJ Burnel etc etc). Although I also love Aston and Mr Wobble...(hey! a new bass-related Mr Man!)

Kyle Eastwood, saw him live a few years back and I was just expecting a decent player with a really good backing band. Hes actually a spectacular bassist, probably had the best live bass tone on double bass (bowed and pizz), fretless and fretted that I've ever heard, really interesting soloist and great all round player who doesn't need to rely on his dads name at all. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZg2kpPB0Cg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZg2kpPB0Cg[/url]

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='64825' date='Sep 24 2007, 04:05 PM']He gets overshadowed by Justin Chancellor but I've always thought that Paul D'Amour was ace on Opiate and Undertow by Tool.[/quote]

Yeah. D'Amour played an in-your-face style, his basslines were more traditional than Chancellors, but they rocked more away from the guitar. Chancellor generally plays what seem like guitar parts on his bass, though this is because of the massive array of pitch-shifting pedals he uses in songs :).

Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) is under-rated in my humble opinion. Most people don't know he plays most of the bass lines for Fatboy Slim and some of them are amazing.

Rutger Gunnarson was pretty good on Summer Night City, although Abba really isnt my thing.

I'd like to add Kirsty Newton who plays bass for Mitch Benn, and of course second/third/etc John Taylor, if I end sounding a quarter as good as him, I'd be happy.

[quote name='Exile252' post='248742' date='Jul 27 2008, 01:55 AM']Chancellor generally plays what seem like guitar parts on his bass[/quote]

Some of his basslines definitely sound guitar-influenced but I think he uses those effects/pitch shifters/delays/chords/melodic weirdness to fill in the sonic gaps in Tool's 'four piece'.