Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

[quote name='JoeS' post='191620' date='May 4 2008, 03:15 PM']I think Ian Grushka must have been said already because Jono called it right on the last page. He's not very good.[/quote]

o yeah, and i'd said it on the page before lol. i think he's quite good, he puts a lot of small fills and moves around a lot, even if it is just moving around on the major and pentatonic scales, its more than most in that genre do. i think hes undderated because everyone thinks he just follows roots like all punk bassists, but he really doesnt.

[quote name='lwtait' post='191610' date='May 4 2008, 02:49 PM']dunno if anyone else or i've already said this i've only read to page 6, but who's the guy who plays for rancid? he's great. also ben osmundson of zebrahead, and ian gushka of new found glory can both be quite good. i never hear anyone mention any of these guys, i think they deserve a little more recognition than they get.[/quote]

Matt Freeman from Rancid was mentioned way back. But he's actually brilliant. Maxwell Murder's a 'must hear' track, phenomenal solo. He only plays finger-style too.

[quote name='Linz' post='7435' date='May 27 2007, 01:07 AM']I HAVE to agree with you on this one, have loved ELP ever since I saw them at the Empire Pool in 1974. Greg Lake is CLASS.[/quote]

YEAH, GREG LAKE IS VASTLY UNDERATED , AMAZING BASS LINES AND SOUND !!
LOVE THE BLOKE
:)

[quote name='jono b' post='193598' date='May 7 2008, 07:56 AM']Matt Freeman from Rancid was mentioned way back. But he's actually brilliant. Maxwell Murder's a 'must hear' track, phenomenal solo. He only plays finger-style too.[/quote]
Not with Operation Ivy he didn't, nor [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Freeman#Equipment"]here[/url]. Though I admit the internet often lies like a bitch. And Freeman is jolly good whatever.

[quote name='kevbucket' post='195211' date='May 9 2008, 09:02 AM']YEAH, GREG LAKE IS VASTLY UNDERATED , AMAZING BASS LINES AND SOUND !!
LOVE THE BLOKE
:)[/quote]

Yeah but the worst sound in history - I had a live LP of theirs and the bass sounded dreadful - like a cheap guitar badly miked in a cardboard box full of marbles....

[quote name='johnnylager' post='195222' date='May 9 2008, 09:13 AM']Not with Operation Ivy he didn't, nor [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Freeman#Equipment"]here[/url]. Though I admit the internet often lies like a bitch. And Freeman is jolly good whatever.[/quote]

My info comes from seeing him live and also from an interview he did in a Total Guitar Bass Special. I think he did use a pick early on and progressed onto finger style. Definitely now he's pretty much just fingers, Maxwell Murder solo and all.

[quote name='lwtait' post='193051' date='May 6 2008, 04:30 PM']o yeah, and i'd said it on the page before lol. i think he's quite good, he puts a lot of small fills and moves around a lot, even if it is just moving around on the major and pentatonic scales, its more than most in that genre do. i think hes undderated because everyone thinks he just follows roots like all punk bassists, but he really doesnt.[/quote]

I dunno, he's pretty typical of most pop punk bassists. Pretty much all of them played in the same style using the major and pentatonic scales, it's all dead simle and not very inspired. I dug out my Drive Thru Records box set the other day, it's got NFG, The Starting Line and The Movielife EPs in it and all the bass playing is more or less the same.

Doug Johns, I've been getting shed loads of inspiration from this guy for a good while now, also I'm starting to get a strange liking for Pedullas.

Edited by Josh

• 1 month later...

Beck's bassist Justin Meldal-Johnsen.
Now doing a stint in Nine Inch Nails
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeiFVfyiSiw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeiFVfyiSiw[/url]

[quote name='Fliplowe' post='195461' date='May 9 2008, 02:41 PM']Andy Rourke is a legend, great lines, heres my take on Nowhere fast (Bored on day off), forgotten how funky they were![/quote]

Andy Rourke's Smiths stuff really was great. Pisses me off that Morrissey painted him as "just a session musician" during all that business in court over royalty payments. His contributions to their hits were huge.

I never really spent a lot of time sitting down and working out other peoples' lines, but I had to with The Smiths. Funnily enough I've never played a P-bass with a pick. I should get one. :)

Oh yeah, I should pick a bassist... Ernie McKone doesn't get much love. Played on all Galliano's stuff and for Push before that (anyone remember "Traffic"? That had a killer throb of a bassline).

[quote name='Josh' post='196075' date='May 10 2008, 04:52 PM']Doug Johns, I've been getting shed loads of inspiration from this guy for a good while now, also I'm starting to get a strange liking for Pedullas.[/quote]

When I was a kid they had Pedullas in Musicground in Leeds for the sort of money I didn't have - I always wanted one of those. :)

Have to admit I don't always dig "bass virtuoso" types but Doug Johns has got a great groove. He doesn't play stuff that's just bound to sound awful like, say, Wooten does.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='231735' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:50 AM']Andy Rourke's Smiths stuff really was great. Pisses me off that Morrissey painted him as "just a session musician" during all that business in court over royalty payments. His contributions to their hits were huge.

I never really spent a lot of time sitting down and working out other peoples' lines, but I had to with The Smiths. Funnily enough I've never played a P-bass with a pick. I should get one. :)[/quote]

Years ago through various close contacts (& friends) I came to meet in connection with The Smiths, Rourke wasn't just a session player as far as input was concerned.
No disrepect to Moz or Marr, but I think it's now fairly obvious where basslines for 'This Charming Man' & 'Headmaster Ritual' (and others) originated.
I believe he accepted out of court settlement out of necessity...
IMO one of the most underrated bassists.
[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='231735' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:50 AM']I never really spent a lot of time sitting down and working out other peoples' lines, but I had to with The Smiths. Funnily enough I've never played a P-bass with a pick. I should get one. :huh:[/quote]
On many of the later Smiths tracks Andy plays with fingers too.

Certainly an inspiration to me, probably the reason I took up bass :huh:

Worked my way through this thread and everyone that popped into my head seemed to then get mentioned a few posts later !

Got a few more though:

Bob Babbitt - Motown's number 2 to James Jamerson, everyone assumes all the big hits were Jamerson, not true
[url="http://www.bobbabbitt.com/disc.htm"]http://www.bobbabbitt.com/disc.htm[/url]

Max Bennett - Session player extraordinaire, from Ella Fitzgerald to the Monkees and Zappa !
[url="http://www.united-mutations.com/b/max_bennett.htm"]http://www.united-mutations.com/b/max_bennett.htm[/url]

Richard Searle - Corduroy
Great bass player, really different lines, now with Mother Earth, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='nick' post='6510' date='May 25 2007, 02:19 PM']Barry Adamson (Magazine)[/quote]

Good call - i certainly don't underrate him though :)

Makes me think of Russell Webb as well though (formerly of The Armoury Show - connection to Magazine through John McGeoch and John Doyle)

[quote name='parker_muse' post='26621' date='Jul 3 2007, 06:27 PM']Chris Wolstenhome.

Legend[/quote]

I think he's come out with some of the most interesting lines this side of John Taylor, certainly in a rock band. I don't know if I'd say he's underrated though.

[quote name='markdavid' post='27877' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:40 PM']Duran Durans Bassplayer (listen to rio you'll understand)
The Bassplayer from the Killers[/quote]

Duran Duran - [Nigel] John Taylor
Killers - don't know his name, but he's come out with some good lines.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='67222' date='Sep 29 2007, 01:43 AM']Paul Webb (Talk Talk)[/quote]
Yip - he was good, "It's My Life" has a great little bass line in it.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='67222' date='Sep 29 2007, 01:43 AM']Barry Adamson (Visage)[/quote]
He's been mentioned for what he did in Magazine. FWIW - in case anyone's not aware, he also did loads of stuff with Nick Cave and some soundtrack stuff.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='67222' date='Sep 29 2007, 01:43 AM']Matin Kemp (Spandau Ballet / DFS furniture)[/quote]
Average isn't quite the word I would have though...

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='67222' date='Sep 29 2007, 01:43 AM']Michael Dempsey (The Cure/Associates)[/quote]
Definitely worth a listen to, especially on Sulk.