Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

From the past, an underated player is Dave Pegg ...Fairport/Tull. He inspired me from the day I heard his wah bass solo on Sloth. I met him 30 years later and told him that me playing bass was all his fault. Saw him gigging recently and he's still inventive, with trade-mark harmonics and 5-string.

From 'now' I'd go for Alonza Bevan of Kula Shaker. Creative, yet complimentary to the rest of the band.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='162127' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:51 AM']From the past, an underated player is Dave Pegg ...Fairport/Tull. He inspired me from the day I heard his wah bass solo on Sloth. I met him 30 years later and told him that me playing bass was all his fault. Saw him gigging recently and he's still inventive, with trade-mark harmonics and 5-string.

From 'now' I'd go for Alonza Bevan of Kula Shaker. Creative, yet complimentary to the rest of the band.[/quote]

+1 for Dave Pegg - he's the reason I started playing too.

And Danny Thompson

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='162127' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:51 AM']From the past, an underated player is Dave Pegg ...Fairport/Tull. He inspired me from the day I heard his wah bass solo on Sloth. I met him 30 years later and told him that me playing bass was all his fault. Saw him gigging recently and he's still inventive, with trade-mark harmonics and 5-string.

From 'now' I'd go for Alonza Bevan of Kula Shaker. Creative, yet complimentary to the rest of the band.[/quote]

Oh, and another not on most pundit's lists, but perfect for mentioning in these here despatches ...Brian Ritchie -bass and other odd objects for the legendary [b]Violent Femmes[/b]

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='162424' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:59 PM']...Brian Ritchie [b]Violent Femmes[/b][/quote]
+1

Would like to add Ibanez Blazer basher Mick Quinn (Supergrass)

Edited by nick

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='nick' post='162016' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:56 AM']Mark Burgess : Chameleons

Julian Phillips : Marion

Lee Belsham : Dr. Phibes & the House of Wax Equations[/quote]

MB1. :)
Wasnt the Chameleons Bass player called Dave?

Joe Lally of Fugazi. Lovely reggae/dub/funk/punk style.
Another +1 for Tony Kanal. Disagree with Ian Grushka from New Found Glory though,saw them a year or so ago, he was lucky if he could get through a whole song without fudging it up.

[quote name='MB1' post='189655' date='May 1 2008, 12:36 PM']MB1. :)
Wasnt the Chameleons Bass player called Dave?[/quote]

No Dave & Reg were the two guitarists, Mark sang & played bass.

Youth - (sometimes) Killing Joke
Not only a top producer...
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQfAv_qBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQfAv_qBQ[/url]

[quote name='Motocross_nick' post='191381' date='May 3 2008, 10:57 PM']Sam Rivers - Limp Bizkit.

very tasty lines i think, especially on the chocolate starfish & the hot dog flavoured water album[/quote]

+1. Rearranged is a tasty line. Actually, everyone in the original LB lineup was ridiculously talented with the exception of that knuckle-dragging twat of a frontman.

dunno if anyone else or i've already said this i've only read to page 6, but who's the guy who plays for rancid? he's great. also ben osmundson of zebrahead, and ian gushka of new found glory can both be quite good. i never hear anyone mention any of these guys, i think they deserve a little more recognition than they get.