Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

Don't hate me, but I think [b]Rutger Gunnarsson[/b], the chap who played most of the ABBA bass lines, is a superb player...

Go on, force yourself to listen to stuff like Money Money Money, Dancing Queen, One of Us...

Some great melodic lines.

[quote name='JJTee' post='11739' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:34 AM']Don't hate me, but I think [b]Rutger Gunnarsson[/b], the chap who played most of the ABBA bass lines, is a superb player...

Go on, force yourself to listen to stuff like Money Money Money, Dancing Queen, One of Us...

Some great melodic lines.[/quote]

+1. His lines are great fun to play.

Most of the ones I would have mentioned have already been named so I'll add..

Nick Seymour of Crowded House ( "Fall at Your Feet" is one of my favourite lines of all time)
early Gene Simmons ( the 80s stuff is a bit dull but the early albums have loads of great walking lines and melodic parts like "Goin' Blind")
Ewan Vernal (spelling?) from Deacon Blue - lots of great playing, especially on lesser known tracks
Graham Maby with Joe Jackson - especially the live version of "Fools In Love"
Winston Blissett - UK session player
Steve Pearce - another great sessioner

and from the upright jazz world, some great UK players - Paul Morgan, Jeff Clyne and Roy Babbington - all worth investigating.

Cheers,
Alun

And +1 for Graham Maby - saw him on the Joe Jackson tour a couple of weeks ago, and he was excellent

[quote name='Alun' post='12000' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:13 PM']+1. His lines are great fun to play.

Most of the ones I would have mentioned have already been named so I'll add..

Nick Seymour of Crowded House ( "Fall at Your Feet" is one of my favourite lines of all time)
early Gene Simmons ( the 80s stuff is a bit dull but the early albums have loads of great walking lines and melodic parts like "Goin' Blind")
Ewan Vernal (spelling?) from Deacon Blue - lots of great playing, especially on lesser known tracks
Graham Maby with Joe Jackson - especially the live version of "Fools In Love"
Winston Blissett - UK session player
Steve Pearce - another great sessioner

and from the upright jazz world, some great UK players - Paul Morgan, Jeff Clyne and Roy Babbington - all worth investigating.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

[quote name='tombboy' post='9745' date='May 31 2007, 10:29 AM']Cliff Williams - tighter than a gnats you know what!
Chris Childs - Thunder. Great melodic runs.
Pat Badger - Extreme. Great tone and technique.[/quote]

+1 to all of these, good call(s)

[quote name='jacko' post='11677' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:46 AM']Joe Osborn played bass on pretty much all the Mamas and Papas albums.[/quote]

ah, I didn't know that! well you learn something every day eh?

also a +1 for James Leach, absolutely great guy, got to meet him after a gig! Also he uses some exceptionally nice basses (see pic) methinks it's a custom christ macintyre (spelling?) jazz. Could someone give me the correct spelling of that? I think he's based in London, he makes some very nice basses, I'd like to track him down again...

loverly... :)

Ah! Found the bass website on his myspace... [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/[/url]

Gorgeous!

[quote name='BlockInlayMan' post='16270' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:59 PM']Eric Avery (original Jane's Addiction bassist) - a great sense of melody and playing what the songs required.
Check out "Three Days," my favourite song of all time. A good ol' P player.[/quote]

Spot on! I think he plays on the "Deconstruction" album with Navarro, too. Listen to "The wait for History". More of the same!

My 2pence;

Andrew Weiss and Melvin Gibbs (both of The Rollins Band)
Cass Lewis (Skunk Anansie & Terence Trent D'Arby)
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Michael Visceglia (Suzanne Vega)
Alphonso Johnson (Weather Report, Phil Collins) - Just check out "This Must Be Love" from Collins' "Face Value" album. Stunning.

[quote name='Sercet' post='16486' date='Jun 12 2007, 08:37 PM']Paul McCartnet (The Beatles)[/quote]

I'd hardly say he's underrated. many of todays greats cite Maca as being a huge influence. he's also a very good player.

well all the greats and legendary players have been mentioned... i'd go for throwing in:

John Deacon (Queen) - First time I heard the difference between bass and guitar clearly was watching a Queen concert on telly as a kid.

and a few 'contemporary' choices...

Jason Black (Hot Water Music) - I love his playing style and sound.
Nick Harmer (Death Cab For Cutie) - Simple band, simple bass lines... but ALWAYS 100% appropriate.
+ the bassist from The Mercury Program.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='16734' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:04 AM']Spot on! I think he plays on the "Deconstruction" album with Navarro, too. Listen to "The wait for History". More of the same![/quote]

He does. He's also the lead singer on the record.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='17021' date='Jun 13 2007, 04:44 PM']I was never a great Wham fan, but looking back, Deon Estus provided some cool lines[/quote]

MB1. :)
and george took care of the weed!,and andy brought the beer!

MB1.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='13351' date='Jun 6 2007, 10:43 PM']ah, I didn't know that! well you learn something every day eh?

also a +1 for James Leach, absolutely great guy, got to meet him after a gig! Also he uses some exceptionally nice basses (see pic) methinks it's a custom christ macintyre (spelling?) jazz. Could someone give me the correct spelling of that? I think he's based in London, he makes some very nice basses, I'd like to track him down again...

loverly... :)

Ah! Found the bass website on his myspace... [url="http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/"]http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/[/url]

Gorgeous![/quote]

Yea +1 for Leach, don't know whats going to happen to Sikth now though...

[quote name='jamjamjam' post='21065' date='Jun 20 2007, 10:02 PM']Yea +1 for Leach, don't know whats going to happen to Sikth now though...[/quote]

They should be finding new singers but otherwise the future dosen't look to bright, but anyhoo Leach is amazingly versatile he'll probally find another band if Sikth do break up, which will suck.

Andy Billups who plays with The Hamsters :) is a very fluid player. He thought his career was over after being diagnosed with [url="http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/patient_e/dystonia.asp"]focal dystonia[/url] He plays very articulately and with a very light touch - a pleasure to watch.

Hamster

[quote name='dazco' post='21045' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:25 PM']Stuart Morrow - New Model Army

Most entertaining.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTFo-AZysQ&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTFo-AZysQ...ted&search=[/url][/quote]

Yup another seriously good 'forgotten' bassist....add Jamie Stewart from The Cult to the list just for Ressurection Joe if nothing else.