Why become a member? ×

Barefaced T'Vintage Review.

Shockwave

[quote name='alexclaber' post='686427' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:46 PM']but you went from cheery emails to one "haven't received the cab yet" email and then stopped replying to my emails updating you on when it was sorted, when it had been boxed up and when it had been sent. The first I heard from you that you'd even received the cab was when you sent me a link to this thread.[/quote]

By that point you had just told me that you forgot to put into the right screws for the handles, which was a day after i posted the cab back at my cost. If you had remembered beforehand then i wouldnt have had to post it back, saved the money and all i had to do was put in larger screws. I guess i just lost my patience and temper. My way of dealing with it is to go silent on the matter. Rather then go a bit nuts via E-mail.

[quote name='paul h' post='686394' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:12 PM']Thread summary...

Dodgy handles, not satisfied with tone. Speakers need playing in a bit so the jury is out. Took a bit too much effort to sort out. Bit of bad feeling generated.

And in usual basschat style this has been interspersed with people being happy to hear that some body was not happy with a product.(??? Still don't get it.) A few little personal digs here and there and somebody even managed to mention finnbass.

So, no change here then.

:)[/quote]

...and yet ANOTHER account by Bass_Ferret has been uncovered and the fact Finnbass has been brought up again is just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, things have got rather silly and the usual digs have arisen again!

Can I just remind everyone - WERE TALKING ABOUT A BOX WITH SOME SPEAKERS IN IT.

peace

ped

[quote name='ped' post='686531' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:05 PM']...and yet ANOTHER account by Bass_Ferret has been uncovered and the fact Finnbass has been brought up again is just the icing on the cake.

Yeah, things have got rather silly and the usual digs have arisen again!

Can I just remind everyone - WERE TALKING ABOUT A BOX WITH SOME SPEAKERS IN IT.

peace

ped[/quote]

I don't know about anybody else but I thought bass_ferret made some very valid and useful points. The word Finnbass could be subsituted for any site on the internet, rest assured there are no co-ordinated attacks (they are figments of people's imaginations anyway!). The reason that Finnbass was specifically mentioned is because there is a very informative thread on there about cab comparisons that were done at Moffat. I would urge anybody interested in BF to take a look for an informed opinion.

I don't think we are talking about a box with some speakers in it (I don't think Alex would appreciate his work being summed up in such a manner!) - it's a VERY EXPENSIVE box with some speakers in it. People are spending alot of money on these things and I for one, think that people should know about people's experiences of these cabs, postitive or negative.

Peace and love, peace and love.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='ped' post='686554' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:21 PM']Yes yes yes. We all get it, i'm sure.

Go check out [url="http://www.finnbass.com"]www.finnbass.com[/url]

ped[/quote]

Thanks for the link, Ped.

OMG.

OMFG.

Don't think I'll be losing a lot of sleep over Finnbass content in future.

:)

Finbass, dear oh dear. What do they know.

At the Moffat bass bash I was the bassist asked to stand on the 'stage' and demo the gear (including a BF Compact). I used a Precision belonging to Peter (GreenKing) and mainly my Euphonic Audio iAmp800 head. The audience didn't comprise of all the 'usual suspects' wanting to slate BF cabs and make digs at Basschat but some pretty competent, knowledgeable and experienced bass players. I dont want to make any comments about the cab as I feel that the chaps in the audience would have had a better appreciation of tonal quality than me being too close to it. Anyhow I dont hold any axe to grind at Alex, I've had a short correspondence with him and he seems a nice guy plus I would still like to try a BF 'Big One' at some point.

Please dont tar all Finnbassers with the same brush. :)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='686586' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:41 PM']Finbass, dear oh dear. What do they know.

At the Moffat bass bash I was the bassist asked to stand on the 'stage' and demo the gear (including a BF Compact). I used a Precision belonging to Peter (GreenKing) and mainly my Euphonic Audio iAmp800 head. The audience didn't comprise of all the 'usual suspects' wanting to slate BF cabs and make digs at Basschat but some pretty competent, knowledgeable and experienced bass players. I dont want to make any comments about the cab as I feel that the chaps in the audience would have had a better appreciation of tonal quality than me being too close to it. Anyhow I dont hold any axe to grind at Alex, I've had a short correspondence with him and he seems a nice guy plus I would still like to try a BF 'Big One' at some point.

Please dont tar all Finnbassers with the same brush. :)[/quote]

Not my intention at all. I am still friends with may people from that site and long may it continue. Just saying go there and read about these speakers if you think there is a distorted picture over here.

Please - no more digging at one another.

ped

Completely off topic but I had always assumed finnbass was pretty big - just followed link above and found it only has 640 members. As web communities go that is pretty small. For finnbass advocates, that is not a criticism just an observation as I was genuinely surprised.

[quote name='ped' post='686595' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:49 PM']EBS: Not really that interesting to know that people are reading the finnbass forum, especially as I have given a link. move on mate. You should see what's in my other tabs :) :rolleyes:

ped[/quote]

I saw your typo. Don't worry, I wasn't offended.

[quote name='Toasted' post='686339' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:16 PM']The cab IS "colouring your sound". Whatever that means.[/quote]

How can you say it's colouring my sound, if you don't know what it means?

I'll drop the jargon - the Big One doesn't seem to make my sound bassy, middly or trebly. It lets the natural sound of my bass come through with complete clarity. Then I EQ that sound as I see fit.

And I'm sorry if my love of this cab annoys some people. I'm not endorsing Barefaced cabs - just stating what I feel about them.

[quote name='paul h' post='686248' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:55 PM']If you have used them and don't like them then that is a shame,[/quote]
Don't see why its a shame its just a fact.

I've tried the Compact and i am happy to pay the extra £150 for my Bergantino. A much better cab IMO

Having briefly owned a BF Compact and a BF BigOne, I'd like to make a few points based on my experience....

1). Assuming I understand the concept of 'colour':
BF cabs DO colour your sound.... as do all cabs.
The Compact sounds very different to the BigOne.

2). It is therefore important to choose a cab that is 'right for you'
I am sure Alex would agree with this.

3). It felt to me that BF cabs were being touted as the 'Be all and end all' when I joined this forum one year ago.
I tried two of them and.... well they weren't for me!
I honestly believed they would be a miracle, and they weren't.
Loud and light, yes.... but nothing out of the ordinary, and quite honestly (I mean absolutely no offence by this) nothing that couldn't be built in an afternoon in the shed.

4). I found Alex's customer service to be excellent.
Where alse could I have tried two cabs and had a full refund?

From what I gather, Alex is a decent guy trying to make an honest living.
Maybe if some people stopped 'bigging up' his products so much.......?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='686507' date='Dec 16 2009, 04:49 PM']I'm experienced enough to hear when a cab is going to cut it at a gig or not.

No tops in non gig environment = no top at the gig.
No note definition in a non gig environment = no note definition at the gig.
Running a TD650 at 11 o'clock and the cab is not keeping up with a 2x10 = problems at a gig.

Sometimes, you don't need to gig an item to know how its going to perform. Common sense prevails... but then again, I do spend my life gigging and been through a lot of gear to know how things perform.[/quote]

I agree, if something doesn't sound right in any environment, including at home, I wouldn't bother.

[quote name='Toasted' post='686424' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:42 PM']I bet you could buy Musicman20's Bergantino HS410 for around £825. They even use screws to attach the grill - hard to believe but true![/quote]

+1

I think even a new HS410 is around 929 with a cover, but yep if I was gonna sell rob would get it cheaper and have the best 4x10 ever! Covers all ground, awesome build quality, sensitive, loud, clear. It's heavy but really skinny and have 0 problems. Casters make it easy!

[quote name='sk8' post='686759' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:35 PM']Don't see why its a shame its just a fact.

I've tried the Compact and i am happy to pay the extra £150 for my Bergantino. A much better cab IMO[/quote]

See I tried the Compact and was happy to save £100 and still get a much better cab :rolleyes:

Don't interpret this as I bought a compact because it's better than a berg, I bought something cheaper than the compact that is better than the compact and I'll venture the Berg :)