Why become a member? ×

Faked live albums

iamapirate

Two crap live albums:

Queen live killers
Van Halen live without a net

Both complete turkeys,and I always hate the way that queen copped out on Bohemian Rhapsody and played a tape.

I think that some fixing is OK.

Best live album ever (well, my favourite!) - Thomas Blug live in Raalte. And it must be genuine as the bass player cocks-up and they didn't fix it!

i'm fairly certain blink 182's live album must have had all of tom delonge's vocals overdubbed, pretty much everything i've heard them play live tom has sounded absolutely terrible on, except that one album!

as for the recording quality being poor, why is that? i guess that theres going to be a lot of reverb, but surely thats the main thing. i mean, if theyre recording each part from a different line you can sort of the mix later, and add effects/tone later, cant you?

oh, and i think its a massive let down when they record over mistakes, too. thats one of my favourite things about seeing a band live, all the little mistakes and little changes in the song because you cant you about 8 guitar tracks or whatever that let you know that youre not just hearing a studio album. it takes that away when you dub over the live recordings.

Edited by Tait

James Taylor 'Live' is 100% live, but then he employs the worlds best musicians, I have had a cyber chat with his bass player, the phenomenal Jimmy Johnson, and he has confirmed to me that he sets out to "play exactly the right note in the right place in every song, every night" and they do. I've heard some people say this seems sterile to them, as someone who has made a living trying my best to get it right for my employers (band leaders) all my working life, I have huge admiration for Jimmy's approach and love the results.
Also most Jazz albums are recorded sort of live in the sense that it is usually an ensemble playing in the moment (mostly without overdubs) it just happens that sometimes (when it's in the studio) there is no audience.

Edited by jakesbass

I have quite strong views on this.
If a band can't produce a totally "live" live album then they shouldn't do one.

It rankles me when bands/artists pull the wool over peoples eyes just so they can pretend to be better than they really are. Mind you, it's not as bad as going to a "live" show and not getting a "live" show...

Here's a LIVE album I played on...and guess what...It's [b]all live. [/b] [url="http://www.manfredmann.co.uk/music/malive.html"]mp3 samples[/url]

Edited by SteveK

FREE Live, fantastic, may not be sonically that good but its so untouched even Paul's guitar lead keeps cutting out on All Right Now :)

Slightly off topic, anybody remember the live shot from the front row looking back through the crowd at a DIO concert, it was actually a Rush concert, they just whited out the banners..

[quote name='SteveK' post='609965' date='Sep 27 2009, 01:12 PM']I have quite strong views on this.

It rankles me when bands/artists pull the wool over peoples eyes just so they can pretend to be better than they really are. Mind you, it's not as bad as going to a "live" show and not getting a "live" show...

Here's a LIVE album I played on...and guess what...It's [b]all live. [/b] [url="http://www.manfredmann.co.uk/music/malive.html"]mp3 samples[/url][/quote]

As a sort of +1 to that, the best band I've been in had some deliberate policies;
Don't put something in at the studio stage that people will miss if you don't do it live.
All the songs "end". No fade outs.

Makes life a LOT easier, and the audience can relate better to a live performance after having heard a recording.

[quote name='SteveK' post='609965' date='Sep 27 2009, 01:12 PM']I have quite strong views on this.

Here's a LIVE album I played on...and guess what...It's [b]all live. [/b] [url="http://www.manfredmann.co.uk/music/malive.html"]mp3 samples[/url][/quote]

Hey Steve, if you don't mind me asking what made a pro player in a pretty well known band come on Basschat.(your the only one on here as far as i know) i've always wondered if they have any interest in what the rest of the bass playing community are doing and playing.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='609429' date='Sep 26 2009, 06:15 PM']Greatest live album ever UFO Strangers in the night - and it makes no difference to me if Michael Schenker played the solo on Rock Bottom 100% live[/quote]
Thats one of my favourite ever guitar solos!

My two-pennorth: while it is clearly a con describing an album as "live" if it isn't, this ploy has resulted in some of the greatest albums ever released IMHO. "Live and Dangerous" is a classic example (if you had to own one Thin Lizzy album, who would choose anything else). Pretty sure my two fave live albums (Metallica "Live Sh*t" and Ramones "Its Alive") are 100% live BTW

The worst offender I've heard, Duran Duran's Arena - everything redone in the studio. The best is Crowded House's Live At The Town And Country Club - a brilliant mix on the night recorded straight to ADAT. What you get on the CD is presented as a single show, although the best takes from the two nights the band performed were selected.

Gotta agree with Clarky and others. Strangers in the night, brill album from one of the most underatted and out of it bands to have come from these shores.

If you want the ultimate live album, try the Grateful dead. They have a series of cd`s called Dicks Picks which were taken from the desk usually. Take Dicks Picks 24. For the 1st song it has only bass, drums and vocals until eventually the sound guys get it right and you hear the full band. What you get is the songs, warts and all. Part of their charm for me.

They were also notorius for forgetting lyrics as well, even when they wrote the songs themselves! Great band but an aquired taste.

The gig was a test of The Wall Of Sound Pa. How many transit vans to shift this lot?

[attachment=33588:gratefulsound.jpg]
Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='609999' date='Sep 27 2009, 02:04 PM']Gotta agree with Clarky and others. Strangers in the night, brill album from one of the most underatted and out of it bands to have come from these shores.

If you want the ultimate live album, try the Grateful dead. They have a series of cd`s called Dicks Picks which were taken from the desk usually. Take Dicks Picks 24. For the 1st song it has only bass, drums and vocals until eventually the sound guys get it right and you hear the full band. What you get is the songs, warts and all. Part of their charm for me.

They were also notorius for forgetting lyrics as well, even when they wrote the songs themselves! Great band but an aquired taste.

The gig was a test of The Wall Of Sound Pa. How many transit vans to shift this lot?

[attachment=33588:gratefulsound.jpg]
Jez[/quote]

I like the dead they are very easy on the ears,dark star is a great tune.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='609987' date='Sep 27 2009, 01:47 PM']Hey Steve, if you don't mind me asking what made a pro player in a pretty well known band come on Basschat.(your the only one on here as far as i know) i've always wondered if they have any interest in what the rest of the bass playing community are doing and playing.[/quote]
Hi beerdragon,
I can't remember how I found BC, probably just stumbled upon it Googling for something or other.
Anyhow, it looked interesting, and initially, I thought, as I've been around the block a few times, that maybe I could offer some advice to anyone new to the business.
The reality is, that I've actually picked up a few bits n bobs myself, and now I try to check in regularly to see who/what's new, and occasionally I'll add my 2 bobsworth to any interesting debate or discussion I have a view on.

BC is a great resource that, unfortunately, wasn't around in my formative years.

BTW I think that there are a few pros here. Jakesbass I know, from reading some of his posts, is a full timer, Who, I think, does quite a lot of session work - on the road and in the studio (sorry Jake if I've got that wrong).

And there are others, whose names I can't remember offhand.