Why become a member? ×

Faked live albums

iamapirate

I've been talking to a lot of record producers/mixers/recorders and the general impression I'm getting is that there is a LOT of post-event stuff that gets recorded and tracked into live albums (ok, duh I knew that already).

One of them sarcastically said 'cos we'd never take a studio track and just put a congregation singing behind it haha'.

hmm, i understand (especially) if the singing wasn't that great on the night, but I don't like buying live albums now, just doesn't seem... right.

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='Bassassin' post='609321' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:50 PM']Or Rush's Exit Stage left, which the band refer to as "live-ish".
Jon.[/quote]
I'm surprised at that, mainly because the sound quality of that album is bloody awful.
Alex Lifeson's guitar is so deeply buried in the mix he may as well not be on there.

[quote name='OldGit' post='609343' date='Sep 26 2009, 04:19 PM']I think an un-improved live album would be pants.
You just can't record atmosphere.[/quote]
I completely agree.
Would you REALLY want an album to sound like it was recorded at the back of Wembley Arena or the NEC?
An unimproved live album would just sound like 99% of bootlegs - absolute sh*te.

[quote name='RhysP' post='609360' date='Sep 26 2009, 04:36 PM']I completely agree.
Would you REALLY want an album to sound like it was recorded at the back of Wembley Arena or the NEC?
An unimproved live album would just sound like 99% of bootlegs - absolute sh*te.[/quote]
A great live album doesn't have to be overdubbed or sound like it was from the back of the NEC. It just needs to be well played, well recorded and well mixed.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='609323' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:52 PM']So what is the 'most live' live album?

I've got to say that I remember [i]Slade Alive[/i] sounded exactly like Slade live.[/quote]

Brilliant live album and I am sure that it is "how it was on the night" as there are many bits left in that would probably be taken out these days :)

I think a lot depends on whether it's a Live Album only, or also a Video/DVD.

What makes The Last Waltz so painful is that you can see what's being played on stage, while hearing something very obviously different through the speakers. If I'd only ever heard the album, I'd think it was great!

It's a difficult one to comment on for me (but I will :)).

At the end of the day I love live albums, I'll always buy live albums in preference to a studio album, but (and here's the hypocrosy of it) I want them to be of the best quality - good mix, good levels, perfect vocals etc. and frankly I don't want to hear the bum notes or whatever. Such a "live" album rarely exists and unless you like your music raw, the sound quality of such albums (whilst pretty damn good nowadays) is not upto the standard of a properly mixed album - so I say keep those "fakes" coming.

Greatest live album ever UFO Strangers in the night - and it makes no difference to me if Michael Schenker played the solo on Rock Bottom 100% live or fixed it in the mix or recorded it later. It's still a brilliant album in my view.

EDIT: I need a spellchecker !

Edited by purpleblob

Judas Priest 'unleashed in the studio' . :) UFO album is awesome, also scorps,worldwide live.
Bizarrely enough ,I think Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo is the best album he's done.
I used to love Space Ritual by Hawkwind,tho' I'd be wondering if they'd be able to be upright if they did overdub in the studio...