Why become a member? ×

Life after a band!

JPS

For the first time in over 5 years I'm shortly to find myself without a band. My function band have decided to call it a day. It was a mutual agreement and although I don't doubt for a second we've made the right decision I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do basswise now. I really, really don't fancy another band as I've had enough of gigging and need a break. I haven't got enough spare cash to pay for lessons etc. I have got a couple of people I can "jam" with but I'm not sure how long that will last.

If anyone's got any tips or ideas that will help keep me motivated and playing I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to see my bassplaying just grind to a halt after 25+ years (although I'm sure my wife would be more than happy) but I'm worried that might happen. I also find it very hard to motivate myself to things just for the sake of it. Unless there's a gig, a session in the studio, an exam etc at the end of it I lose interest quickly. Shallow but true!

Any inspiration mcuh appreciated. Would love to know what others have done in a similar situation.

How about writing and/or recording some stuff on your own?

Do you play any other instruments apart from bass? If not, take one up. If so, get yourself a modest recording set-up and start making your own multi-instrumental music. Doesn't have to be polished or anything, just something you can then lay down your own bass tracks to.

It's always good to have some kind of project on the go, even if it's just for your own satisfaction.

Join a band.

I'm not being facetious.. it's just that not all bands are born equal. I went from playing in a *very* busy function band that played 4 times a week to a very relaxed bunch of wasters (I do not exclude myself!) that plays once a month at most. It's enough to keep me interested but not enough to make me go mental - which was what was happening before.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='598308' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:47 PM']Join a band.

I'm not being facetious.. it's just that not all bands are born equal. I went from playing in a *very* busy function band that played 4 times a week to a very relaxed bunch of wasters (I do not exclude myself!) that plays once a month at most. It's enough to keep me interested but not enough to make me go mental - which was what was happening before.[/quote]

That's what my suggestion would be. I went from playing in a band (of wasters, sadly) which split up. With nothing on the cards, I ended up not playing for about six years. Now, I'm having a very hard time finding other people (who aren't teenagers) or bands to join. I'm making music on my computer to pass the time.

I have some things planned when I get to the stage of not being in a band or want to be in a band anymore. I plan to do the following,

a. Spend a large percentage of time, focusing 100% on double bass. At least a year or two, to get to a standard I am happy with. The plan at the moment though is maybe in around 10 years time or wait until retirement as I just don't have the time right now to fully focus on it.

b. Spend a large percentage of time playing fretless bass. I am actually doing it now a little bit and loving it. However, I would like to sit down with proper training material/instructions etc and focus on getting good at it rather than dabbling in it.

c. Learn to read music.

Not sure any of those interest you.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='598326' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:58 PM']That's what my suggestion would be. I went from playing in a band (of wasters, sadly) which split up. With nothing on the cards, I ended up not playing for about six years. Now, I'm having a very hard time finding other people (who aren't teenagers) or bands to join. I'm making music on my computer to pass the time.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me , although I stopped playing for almost 10 years . I'm lucky, after a year of constant looking and lots of failed auditions I'm back playing in a tribute band and I'm really enjoying it . I suppose its a bit like work - the longer you are out of it the harder it is to get back

[quote name='Linus27' post='598343' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:09 PM']I have some things planned when I get to the stage of not being in a band or want to be in a band anymore. I plan to do the following,

a. Spend a large percentage of time, focusing 100% on double bass. At least a year or two, to get to a standard I am happy with. The plan at the moment though is maybe in around 10 years time or wait until retirement as I just don't have the time right now to fully focus on it.

b. Spend a large percentage of time playing fretless bass. I am actually doing it now a little bit and loving it. However, I would like to sit down with proper training material/instructions etc and focus on getting good at it rather than dabbling in it.

c. Learn to read music.

Not sure any of those interest you.[/quote]

+1

I like this idea.

I am also going to be bandless when I move to London. I DO NOT want a similar type of band now. Im getting a little tired of DIY hardcore punk. It may well be really fun, but it is disorganised, full of rip of promoters, and no one appreciates a good musician of their instruments / setup.

Eg small hardcore band bassist asks me 'mate can I use your amp setup?'

To which I reply, 'what the Bergantino HS410 and Orange AD200b Mk3?'

'Yeah'.

'You do realise its worth about £2300 in total?'

'Is it, can I use it?'

I usually just alow them to use the cab...but to be fair, they usually just take the piss. If I dont take an amp/cab, I take sansamp and DI.

Its different with more pro bands and good musicians, they usually offer to pay if a tube goes, etc etc, or we organise to bring a part of the setup each.

So....Im outta this now as of December.

I also need a new project.

Like many (I suspect) I've been at a loose end for much of this year while the band has had a break. I've kept myself going with jam nights mainly - normally once or twice a week to keep me hand in so to speak. I know it's no substitute for 'the real thing' but it helps pass the time of day.

One nasty side effect though is spending too much time on here which has resulted in far too much buying/selling.......

[quote name='martthebass' post='598557' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:22 PM']Like many (I suspect) I've been at a loose end for much of this year while the band has had a break. I've kept myself going with jam nights mainly - normally once or twice a week to keep me hand in so to speak. I know it's no substitute for 'the real thing' but it helps pass the time of day.

One nasty side effect though is spending too much time on here which has resulted in far too much buying/selling.......[/quote]

I'm always in awe of people who go to jam nights. I wouldn't (and don't) dare play a piece without a good few days notice to learn it. You mean you just turn up and play *anything*? Wow!! :)

Actually... time for a new thread....

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='JPS' post='598223' date='Sep 14 2009, 02:32 PM']....For the first time in over 5 years I'm shortly to find myself without a band. Any inspiration mcuh appreciated. Would love to know what others have done in a similar situation....[/quote]
Don't break up.... just replace the others and keep going.

I fell out of playing for about 4 or 5 years really - I'd pick it p every now and then and widdle thru some bits.

I totally lost track of the scene.

Since I got back into playing I've failed a bunch of auditions (you lose some, you lose some more....)

Now I'm trying to get my own band together.

In all of which I can honestly say that myspace, joinmyband, musofinder, formingbands, bandmix etc are really useful. Myspace is the thing that was missing when I used to play a lot, simply because it allows you to get a taste before you even have to meet up. So trawl through myspace looking for the genre you are interested in, an amazing number of people are there and you can contact them immediately.

Thanks guys. What a brilliant set of replies and suggestions.

I'm trying hard to relearn how to play purely for fun, rather than for any particular end. I'm also teaching a son of a friend which I plan to do more of. I already read music (albeit not brilliantly) and am a complete technophobe so that rules out homestudios/recording etc. As for jam nights I live in Planet Thanet in deepest, darkest Kent so I'm not sure where the nearest one will be. Good idea though and I will look into it. Maybe a band that played a style of music I actualy like and only played live once or twice a month would be good. As I've turned 40 that will obviously have to be a blues band as it's the law!

Anyway thanks again guys. Great advice and interesting to hear your own experiences. Keep em coming.

Earlier this year, I was sacked from my band leaving me without a regular gig for the first time in 15+ years. I was gutted.

Now, I'm busier than ever, and it came from nowhere. I'm playing a genre I've never played before, and it's fun.

Hang about and something will happen. IMO, it's all about playing music with people.

I think your situation can be daunting. My band (& favourite one ever at the time) folded a couple of years ago. I've kept my options open and played with a couple of groups, only to bounce right back. Different bands carry different levels of commitment and you may find a less busy band that allows you to take a breather but keep your hand in. Although it can seem like a lousy time, actually it's quite exciting really

I'm happy enough with my band, i do wish we'd work harder 2008 was a fantastic year, really busy, big festival shows, big sell outs locally and plenty of label interest.

Then 2009, it's like i've had no band.

The singer is an actor, so he disappears on theatre jobs all the time.
The guitarist bought a Pub with the singer.
The Drummer has been arranging his wedding.
The Keyboard player is a bit of a free spirtr (read Lazy)

and I've had baby Ella to get used to.

I really don't know what i'd do without the sporadic Rehearsals and Recording sessions.

It'd be nice to finish the year on a high note, and start 2010 with real conviction.

I won't hold my breath.

I've not had much time to explore the whole forum yet (so forgive me if this has been suggested, or tried and failed, or is already in progress) but reading this thread makes me wonder why someone hasn't started a monthly (or every so often) get together. It doesn't even have to start out as a jam session or anything too serious. It could start out as a meet up to have some food, numerous drinks and get to know people. You never know, it may then turn in to something more and new bands could rise up out of the ashes!!

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='Musicman20' post='598434' date='Sep 14 2009, 05:28 PM']+1

I like this idea.

I am also going to be bandless when I move to London. I DO NOT want a similar type of band now. Im getting a little tired of DIY hardcore punk. It may well be really fun, but it is disorganised, full of rip of promoters, and no one appreciates a good musician of their instruments / setup.

Eg small hardcore band bassist asks me 'mate can I use your amp setup?'

To which I reply, 'what the Bergantino HS410 and Orange AD200b Mk3?'

'Yeah'.

'You do realise its worth about £2300 in total?'

'Is it, can I use it?'

I usually just alow them to use the cab...but to be fair, they usually just take the piss. If I dont take an amp/cab, I take sansamp and DI.

Its different with more pro bands and good musicians, they usually offer to pay if a tube goes, etc etc, or we organise to bring a part of the setup each.

So....Im outta this now as of December.

I also need a new project.[/quote]

I would disagree there mate. I'm in two punk bands at the moment and don't experience this at all. I wouldn't totally give up on punk to be honest, in London its different. The promoters we use are top drawer and don't rip us off at all. You need to get to know who the rip off merchants are and avoid them. Also, can I make a suggestion? If you don't want people using your expensive set-up then buy a cheaper set up that you won't mind people using.