Why become a member? ×

Ever have one of those moments....

Bottle

Well, had an interesting weekend :)

I'd lent my 5-string Ibanez bass out to friend so she could practice with it and play live Friday and over the weekend at church. Now, I'd picked this bass up second-hand off BC, and had restrung it as well, and it had become my main gigging bass, but wasn't too worried as I've hit a bit of a playing slump at the moment :rolleyes:

Was really impressed with how quickly she had taken to it - unfamiliar bass, never really played a 5'er before, new songs to learn etc.

So as an altruistic gesture, gave her the bass to keep at the end of Saturdays' afternoon set. 'Must be mad', I hear you say. Well, no, because I felt I wasn't getting the most from this bass - couldn't get on with the string spacing, and I could see how much she enjoyed playing it. So, yes, it's a sacrifice, and I can't believe I've done it, but I feel the bass has gone to a good home, and will be played by someone who will really appreciate it.

Ramble over and to the point I've been labouring to reach - have any of my fellow BC'ers been led to do something like this?

Ian

Never done it but I certainly would under the right circumstances. I've made some silly profits from my pikey-esque antics so I wouldn't begrudge the loss of revenue, and I find I don't really miss instruments when they're gone, no matter how much I liked them or how long I've had them.

And sometimes it's nice to be nice. :)

Jon.

I was asked to get hold of a cheap starter bass for someone's son, I knew they didn't have a lot of money so I managed to get hold of something surprisingly playable for < £50, set it up so it played even better and passed it on. He said he's pay me back but I knew he couldn't so I said nothing more about it. I also gave my niece a nice old Harmony acoustic guitar which I had fixed up - she was about to move up from a 3/4 size nylon strung guitar to the full size so it made for a nice present.

I don't know if I could do it with instruments of greater value though - I'm a kind person generally, but there's a limit :)

Very interesting thread this, and one close to my heart, I have done this sort of thing many times, I believe in acts of random kindness, and have given away kit over the years, if I see someone who really wants to learn/play but simply cant afford it. I always think back to when I was starting out and how I would have felt if someone had made the gesture to me.

When all said and done if you can do it every now and again you should, it cant all be about money, and the hope is they will repeat this later in their lives.

So, well done mate!

Not my best bass,you gotta be kidding,BUT

I had a guy around to build some retaining walls for me,friend of a friend

He quoted me rediculousley low,and he's kinda skinny,so he worked bloody hard,he saw all my basses and said he was learning to play on a borrowed bass,but he had an arguement with the owner and feared he would come back for it

So,I decided,if he did a good job,I would give him a N.J.series B.C.Rich Warlock bass I had,I rewired it with DiMarzios,and had it checked out by our mutual friend to make sure he thought it was ok,he thought the bass was great

I gave it to the builder and he was dumbfounded,but he deserved the bass

Kinda sucked,that the same bloody week I decide to give it to him,I had 2 guys try to buy it from me for £350!!!!,but once my mind is made up,that's the way it stays,don't regret it at all :)

Edited by Lorne

I lent a guitar to a friend of mine years ago, since his was broken and he had a gig coming up. Didn't see him for several weeks afterwards, turned out he flogged it to Cash Converters so he could buy weed. :) I think I learned my lesson there... altruism doesn't always mean good karma.

[quote name='Russ' post='598330' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:59 PM']I lent a guitar to a friend of mine years ago, since his was broken and he had a gig coming up. Didn't see him for several weeks afterwards, turned out he flogged it to Cash Converters so he could buy weed. :) I think I learned my lesson there... altruism doesn't always mean good karma.[/quote]
That's lower than low dude, take it your not mates anymore? :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago, I gave my little nephew an Epiphone SG that I had, it played really nice, and he had been messing around with this cheap nylon stringed thing...You should have seen the little lads face on Christmas day! Looked like all his Christmas' had come at once! I think what really made it for him, is that he is a massive AC/DC fan :lol:

Many years ago I was going to sell a decent acoustic guitar to a young guy at my church who seemed to have some genuine songwriting talent. He was off to Bible college and didn't have a ton of money to his name. I turned up at his house and it just seemed like the right thing at the time to just give it away instead.

It's a bit different with family, but my 13 year old nephew is keen on music and so far I have given him a guitar, a tiny amp, a medium amp (yesterday!) and a Pandora 4.

[quote name='RhysP' post='598478' date='Sep 14 2009, 06:18 PM']Come on, own up - you must have at least been hoping to get a shag out of it........... :rolleyes:[/quote]
:)

Is it not possible in this day and age for me to have no ulterior motive, that I would like to do something nice for a friend?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='598537' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:06 PM']All the way to reply #19 before this came up? Sometimes this forum disappoints me.[/quote]
+lots

Really thought that starting this thread would be uplifting, and inspire us all to be better people.