Why become a member? ×

Are you a GAS addict?

Rayman

Less than I used to be, and a fall from 20 to 8 probably highlights this.

I dread to think how many basses have passed through my sticky mitts.

Most of my basses now are keepers although due to developments I probably need to sched 2 more before stabilising.

Mint G&L L2000 tribby anyone?

The hard bit is deciding which other one is to go.

90 NT Thumb - no way
P likewise
Harlot - goes without saying
Sadowsky MM, not now its returned to the fold
Warmoth Darkstar ACG Hmm...
Spector - nope
Maruszczcyk Hmm...

Apols for using this thread for musing.

:)

Pedro

Edited by GreeneKing

Hi, name's Matt and I'm a recovering GASoholic - or so I think. Over the last 14 months I have bought/sold 36 basses, but since mid June I've kept myself quite clean.
All I need is a proper Jaydee and I will be completely GAS free. :) :rolleyes:
Oh well - as long as it's enjoyable why fight it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! Some of these posts are really frightening! I'd say I buy a fair bit of gear but I wouldn't say I have a problem - I recycle a lot too so it doesn't build up. That said perhaps not acknowledging a problem could mean I have a problem? I play a few instruments so it probably looks worse than it is. If you play stuff I don't think it is a problem, it's when the collection is just stored that there is a problem.

[quote name='BB3000S' post='596926' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:21 PM']Hi, name's Matt and I'm a recovering GASoholic - or so I think. Over the last 14 months I have bought/sold 36 basses, but since mid June I've kept myself quite clean.
All I need is a proper Jaydee and I will be completely GAS free. :) :rolleyes:
Oh well - as long as it's enjoyable why fight it, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

We can help you ....there's a Series I with a quilted top, saturn inlays, LEDs front and side....! Resistance is futile!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='596947' date='Sep 13 2009, 12:44 AM']We can help you ....there's a Series I with a quilted top, saturn inlays, LEDs front and side....! Resistance is futile![/quote]
What? Where? Lemme have it!

You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

:)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='596460' date='Sep 12 2009, 12:02 PM']I would still like a decent 8-string (octave pairs)[/quote]

I've got 2,both USA B.C.Rich Bich basses,both now strung as 4 stringers,8 string sound is novel,only for about 5 days,I also sold a Hagstrom 8 in the last few years,it was given to me though

My name's Lorne and I had G.A.S.,then my wife got some new kitchen knives and a glint in her Eye,I think I'm cured with 10 BCR's (One doesn't count though as it's a guit)

I have sold 10 basses and guitars though,Inc 6 BCR's,one of which I gave away,so,technically,I'm at the starting point again??

Do you think she will buy that lads???? :)

Edited by Lorne

My name is Jeroen, and I currently own 11 basses and 7 guitars, and have had 7 more basses and 10 more guitars in the past few years. My arsenal is constantly changing, although there are a few constant factors now that are very unlikely to get sold anywhere in the near future. I'm a total addict, I'll happily admit :)

Thinking pragmatically here... I think we all go through stages of wanting a certain sound for a certain scenario (or several scenarios if you do it for a living as I do...)

I'm very happy with my graphite sound now - In fact more than happy, but still working on the wooden side. Nowhere as near as bad as I was, though. Perhaps part of that has to do with giving up my main teaching post earlier this year and having less money? Hmmm...

Really looking forward to my ACG and a new smaller amp.

GAS? Bring it on! :)

My name is Raggy, I too suffer from G.A.S.

Since March I have picked up 2 Trace Elliot 1518c's , an LMIII, a Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine and a Berg NV412.

I also seem to have the need for a black and Maple Stingray, a Bareface Vintage, a black and maple jazz bass and a black and maple P bass.

It's kinda cool getting stuff thought innit??

Hello - my name is David. And I like buying guitars.

They've got to be before 1960 models, they've got to be Gibsons and they've got to be sunburst. They don't even have to be proper guitars as I've been known to buy a 1952 mandolin and a 1953 twin neck Console Grand steel.

Recently I'm only interested if they come with their original case - I'm currently giving serious consideration to a 1959 ES330 with its original case.

Once I buy them I can never sell them, and sometimes I really hate myself for this addiction because I'm a bass player and although I've a few good basses (all Warwick Thumbs 4s and 5s, fretted and fretless - plus a Triumph upright) I have no interest in adding to them,

I'm not a very good guitar player either - but I do have some rather nice guitars though!

Just look at my signature!

However in mitigation m'lud, buying and selling many, many basses has achieved two major thing:

1) I have got to play many varied and interesting instruments
2) Have made sufficient profits (usually) to continue fuelling GAS.

But recently I have slightly overdone it, especially by ordering an ACG bass.

Can I kick it?

Unlikely? I am a hopeless case.

I do think that a swap forum would be a great idea as we all appear to be doing more trades than sales recently, not sure how it would work but it would be a well used forum!

More basses, more basses I tell you.................

I thought I was over it, there's more gone out than come in for the last couple of years. I'm now down to 5 basses, 2 eleccy guitars, one acoustic, a combo, two heads and a giant cab.

And a triangle.

I'm still gassing for Alex's cabs, and although I'm [i]almost[/i] convincing myself that I'm done buying basses, I can't stop getting all pie eyed every time a nice P appears in the for sale forum.

Me: Hi my name's Chris and I'm a GASoholic
BC: Hi Chris

No matter how "sorted" I am bass wise, there is always something new I suddenly have a longing for. Problem is it is often something that I have had in the past and have sold to finance the latest wave of GAS or at least very similar. I know it drives Mrs Ezbass up the wall. Case in point, I discover a huge affection for P basses, nothing wrong there, then I realise that I want a P bass with something in the bridge, no problem buy new P and fit additonal P in bridge position, sorted. Well apparently not as I now have the hankering for something with a P bass width neck (at least I'm consistent there), but with 5 strings and nice and shiny (my current basses are quite worn and tatty). This would be understandable until you realise that I used to have a lovely 5 string 'Ray in teal (my fave colour). No doubt this wave of GAS will pass or be sated, either way I will no doubt offload something in the future and then miss it terribly after a year or so. At least I don't have amp GAS, although an Aguilar 750 and 6x10 cab would be nice............... quick nurse bring the sedatives!

No where's the GAS equivalent of coffee and doughnuts at the back of the meeting hall?