Why become a member? ×

Are you a GAS addict?

Rayman

Hi, my name is Russ, and I'm......addicted to Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

I genuinely believe I'm addicted to the feeling of finding and aquiring new basses. I love the excitement of having a bass to trade, or better still cash in my pocket, and that few days of hunting for, and then choosing a new bass. Then, a few days later, the urge is back, and out goes the new bass, sometimes within [i]days[/i] of getting it.

My problem is I'm skint. All I have is my gear, so if I need to satisfy my cravings, I have to sell or trade out, something I've done endlessly over the last handful of years. It's always been (or so I thought) part of a search for "The One", that perfect bass that you yearn for. Trouble is, I've had some beautiful basses over the years, Overwater, Stingrays, Fenders and now the Kinal, which is the best of them all, and still, I get the urge to let it go to satisfy my craving for GAS, it's madness, and I'm driving myself crazy.

I really believe, that if I was rich, I'd have dozens and dozens and [i]dozens[/i] of basses, guitars etc etc, most of which I'd never touch, because I'd be always on the lookout for something new to satisfy the GAS.

Anyone else want to stand up and confess their addiction too?

In the past three and a half years, I've bought 44 basses and sold 32 of them again.

From a money point of view, this isn't quite as insane as it sounds since I only lost out on four of those sales - or "investments", as I prefer to call them. :)

GAS? I can give it up any time. Any time at all, I tell you. Why are you staring at me like that?

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='596378' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:10 AM']In the past three and a half years, I've bought 44 basses and sold 32 of them again.

From a money point of view, this isn't quite as insane as it sounds since I only lost out on four of those sales - or "investments", as I prefer to call them. :)

GAS? I can give it up any time. Any time at all, I tell you. Why are you staring at me like that?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Blimey Happy Jack, is that more than Beedster?

between 4 years ago and 2 years ago I bought & sold over 50 basses including about 6 stingrays, Warwick Thumb, 3 Rick 4003s & a 4000. More or less everything I had every wanted to try to find 'my' bass.

Ended with having the gold warmoth built.

Until recently - sold my Shuttle & Schroeder 1212L and replaced it with a Trace V-type combo & Trace 2103H. also bought a 80s E series MIJ Precision.

I'm not finished yet - I will buy more - I don't need more - I can't help myself - I've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell

Edited by Delberthot

I've been GAS-free for the last 12 months.

Of course I've achieved that state by buying about 20 basses over the previous years and only selling 2 of them.

I would still like a decent 8-string (octave pairs) and some lighter speakers that sound as good (or better) than my weighty EBS ones, but I'm going to wait for the right gear to turn up rather than go chasing it.

I too am a fellow sufferer. This year I have bought...

Fender US P, Fender MIM Classic Jazz, Fender MIM sunburst Jazz, [color="#FF0000"]Ibanez SRX700, SR700[/color], ARTB 100, SR300M, [color="#FF0000"]EBM Stingray[/color], Epi Thunderbird, Epi Ebo, Squire Affinity P, [color="#FF0000"]Squire Modified P[/color], G&L L2000.

The ones in red I still have. The rest I have bought and sold again at a large loss as I am cr*p at selling things.
And a rather large credit card bill. It would be justifiable if I was a decent player but I am mediocre multiplied. Help!

Jez (Currently residing in ward 3 of the happy hoose)

Im quite pleased to be able to say that I am GAS free and have been for quite some time, not because I found the perfect bass but because I felt like a bit of a pillock chopping and changing basses all the time and to what end? It didnt improve my playing and I never found that perfect bass. So now I just pick up, plug in and play, my wallet thanks me for it too, its an odd feeling having money in your savings account, I can recommend it :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='596517' date='Sep 12 2009, 01:00 PM']Im quite pleased to be able to say that I am GAS free and have been for quite some time, not because I found the perfect bass but because I felt like a bit of a pillock chopping and changing basses all the time and to what end? It didnt improve my playing and I never found that perfect bass. So now I just pick up, plug in and play, my wallet thanks me for it too, its an odd feeling having money in your savings account, I can recommend it :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1 :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='596465' date='Sep 12 2009, 12:05 PM']a Zon Sonus 8 string is still on my list :)

Just been listening to Faith No More from this year's download and I need a Zon like Billy Gould's - what a sound. It won't fit in with the sound of the wedding band but f@@k it[/quote]

Every time i watch FNM vids i GAS for a Zon. Billy Gould has an incredible tone, even if he is looking more like Bill Oddie these days

My name is Gareth and I gas everyday for new cabs and basses. Amps, I think, I am happy with. Even though I am happy with my cabs and basses, I want more.

This year, I have bought 2 new USA Fender basses, traded an Ampeg 810 + cash for 2 Aguilar DB212s, bought an Orange AD200b Mk3 with the OBC115 and OBC410 cabs, sold a Trace Elliot 400W SMX and added cash to get a Markbass LM3, completely reveamped my cables with OBBMs help, bought cab covers/flight cases for amps/amp bags and still got a Bergantino HS410 somehow, (thanks to Geoffs amazing price and helping with the meet).

I now have 5 cabs, 2 amps, 5 basses.

Guitar wise, I have sold my Fender Deville and Big Muff, and I have and Orange Dual Terror and PPC212 in Ltd 2009 White on order.

This year has been the craziest year for gear ever.

I still crave a small 2 x 112 setup. Preferably Berg.

I am gassing for a Tonehammer, Lakland JO/DJ 5, and more cabs. Why? Because its the most fun stuff to buy EVER. :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='596576' date='Sep 12 2009, 02:33 PM']Every time i watch FNM vids i GAS for a Zon. Billy Gould has an incredible tone, even if he is looking more like Bill Oddie these days[/quote]

Mike Patton looks like Robert Downey Jr in Ironman when they did Download

Edited by Delberthot

Hi, my name is Richard, and suffer GAS too :) I see that a lot of people trade, to feed their habit, but I just can't bare to get rid of anything! At the moment, I have 7 basses, 1 weird thing with 6 thin strings on it, 2 amps, 2 cabs, and 2 combos, and numerous pedals........

Current GAS issue is a Fender Jazz, preferably 70's spec, with rosewood board, and block inlays :wub: I was GASing bad for a Thunderbird, and even thought of parting with the EB2 to help fund it, but luckily Mrs Retroman helped me out, bless her.

With me, it's more of an issue to have a new toy, than go searching for the nirvana of basses........

OK, I'll see if I can list everything;

Gibson EB2
Gibson Thunderbird
Rickenbacker 4001
Ibanez IC200
Squier Precision Special
Aria legend
???? Precision
GS Les Paul
Ampeg SVT Classic
Ampeg 610HLF cab
Carlsboro Stingray
Ancient 1X15 cab
Peavey combo
Drive practice amp
Colorsound Tonebender
Boss DS1
Boss Bass Chorus
Marshall Guv'nor Plus
Aria stereo flanger

Although looking at other peoples lists, I am a complete leightweight!! :rolleyes:

[quote]I would still like a decent 8-string (octave pairs)[/quote]

Tried a Hagstrom 8'er last week, very odd experience !
I currently have 3 basses and a fourth in bits awaiting a respray (and a few other mods) and the only thing that tempts is something unusual. Like the Hagstrom for example or possibly a Stagg EUB otherwise I am fairly content with what I have. Now FX boxes........ having a hard time resisting some of the stuff for sale here and on Fleabay :)

On the other hand, if a Les Paul bass were to crop up or maybe a Variax at the right price.........

Maybe I'm not quite as GAS free as I like to think. Come to think of it, its probably only the likely reaction of 'er indoors that keeps my hand in my pockets !

"Are you a GAS addict?"

I never really thought I was was, although I have a few instruments they've been collected over time, but since joining this site my relationship with my credit card is getting a little tense, seeing Sei's, Fodera's, Jaydee's, Pangborn's etc. is giving me strange urges.

Is this normal ? :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='596779' date='Sep 12 2009, 07:29 PM']since joining this site my relationship with my credit card is getting a little tense, seeing Sei's, Fodera's, Jaydee's, Pangborn's etc. is giving me strange urges.[/quote]

Don't start me on credit cards, I'm lucky to have a wife who would remove my cobblers with a rusty spoon if I started buying stuff on a card, otherwise I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs.