Why become a member? ×

what style of bass do you prefer?

nash

Used to be a Fender & MM man (MusicManMan!) All bolt on maple necks, but now getting into set neck Gibson inspired instruments - especially hollow bodied short scale and non reverse long(er than a fender) scale Thunderbirds. Don't know why, I suppose 23 years of the same old thing can end up pushing you the other way. (I hope my wife doesn't read this thread....)

I love retro styles so the Precision bass is king for me. I always used to like maple fretboards but more recently I've come to embrace rosewood fretboards too. A 50s, 60s or 70s style P-bass with ashtrays is my ultimate.

I also like old Gibson style basses and even modern basses that look like they are old school (like the new Jaguar bass that is from this decade but doesn't look it or the Italia range). I also love a good old double bass.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='593386' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:32 PM']Usually it's graphite and headless all the way for me, but more recently, I'm moving towards a little bit of a change with exotic timbers and multi-laminate set necks...[/quote]

^^ If you run it by him and he doesn't like it, I probably will. :)

I like natural woods but understated looks, like older model Warwicks, walnut-topped Wals. I'm also a sucker for Jazzes with blocked + bound rosewood fingerboards.

Been thinking about this for a while and I have come to the conclusion that it is not at all easy to get a bass that fits... so best to have it made so I am shying away from exotic woods and styles... as I have done that..

I think a nice Jazz 5 with a decent paint job....possibly a cherry burst and maple neck or vintage colour with rosewood....and can't decide which atm.. The neck profile is key here as is the string spacing so it will likely emulate my current bass necks

The electrics will be single coil jazzers, so no soapbars, and maybe a Retro pre-amp..

so, a luthiers version of the Jazz with a pretty trad headstock... must be a 5

[quote name='henry norton' post='593312' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:26 PM']Used to be a Fender & MM man (MusicManMan!) All bolt on maple necks, but now getting into set neck Gibson inspired instruments - especially hollow bodied short scale and non reverse long(er than a fender) scale Thunderbirds. Don't know why, I suppose 23 years of the same old thing can end up pushing you the other way. (I hope my wife doesn't read this thread....)[/quote]

That's damn spooky - I could have written that. You're not me are you? :)
And I used to have an old Triumph ('66 650 Trophy)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='593670' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:48 AM']That's damn spooky - I could have written that. You're not me are you? :)
And I used to have an old Triumph ('66 650 Trophy)[/quote]

Could be! Mine's a '65 Bonnie with a '66 engine, so maybe you're my slightly more pragmatic long lost twin. Now, if I could find a 1965 Thunderbird for the same money as my bike's worth I may take up cycling....

I'm more than happy to be you so long as I get to keep your collection of basses. In exchange you can have my half finished barn conversion and my 3 kids :rolleyes:

Edited by henry norton

My collection is very diverse, but I mainly tend to lean towards Fender-type instruments (especially the Jazz). I also love my Ibanez ATK's (MM-style), my Italia (big hollowbody with a Sidewinder and a humbucker) and my Rickenbacker though, and play all of them frequently. If I were to choose one specific style of bass though, it would be a Jazz.