Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you own.

metalmaniac

[quote name='BigRedX' post='59992' date='Sep 13 2007, 05:25 PM']What colour is your Talbo Bass and is it the one with the aluminium body or just the wooden bodied one?

Any chance of posting some pics I can drool over...

Thanks[/quote]

It is the aluminium (nickel-plated, I think) one. Tokai made some wooden Talbo guitars, but as far as I know, the basses are/were all aluminium - some were painted, for reasons I'm unclear about.

I really will have to sort out some decent pics of the thing, this is all I have atm:

It's a stunning thing to look at & play sitting 'round the house - but live I've found it incredibly microphonic - I tend to use quite middly/trebly tones & sometimes distortion, which at gig volume makes it squeal like a piggy!

There's actually one (not mine!) on Ebay right now:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Talbo-Aluminium-Body-Bass-Guitar-Sale-MG_W0QQitemZ250162820562"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Talbo-Aluminiu...emZ250162820562[/url]

J.

Many thanks for the photo. I really like Talbos and own a Talbo Jr guitar (the one with the built-in amp and speaker). One day I'll get a Talbo Bass to go with it.

If feedback is a problem it might be worth opening it up, and packing the inside with some dampening material as the bodies are hollow. That should help keep it under control.

The eBay Talbo is the one from Music Ground in Denmark street which has been around forever and I check it out each time I go in, hoping that it's been reduced to a more resonable price considering that IMO the body is a second (it has numerous casting blemishes on it), and based on what I paid for my Talbo Jr in Osaka the UK list price is around twice what the price in Japan would be.

If you ever feel like moving your Talbo on please let me know first...

I was feeling guilty with 5---had 2 for many years-an Aria SB Pro II fretless 4 and a 1984 Wal but had always fancied a change-
Current crazy Wal prices persuaded me to sell it and its funded a MM Stingray 5 w/piezo,a Warwick Streamer Standard 5,a G&L L2000 and a Black Rose TeleBass( Warwick & Black Rose bought on this site).
Ive just got a Fender P Sting 53 reissue from states and big problem now is which one to play each time---having seen amounts other parties have I dont feel so bad--I can now point out this to other half.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='59692' date='Sep 13 2007, 08:39 AM']19 and counting. Or should that be N-N-N-N-Nineteen?

In fairness, 14 of them are my collection of vintage Hofners.

But they ALL get played.[/quote]

:) Any pics of your Hoffers?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='59735' date='Sep 13 2007, 10:21 AM']Er... lots?

Westone Raider 1
Columbus series 2 fretless
Vigier Passion III (std) V
Warwick Streamer LX VI
Ovation Celebrity
Musicman Stingray V fretless
Iceni Zoot Chaser
Some Botched-up old Arco EUB
Ibanez SRX 700
Yamaha Attitide BS sig 10th Anniversary
Warwick Infinity SN4
MIA Fender Jazz (S1)
Squier 70's VMJ (modified further)
Ibanez EDB600 "Ergodyne"
An old aria that's in bits...

Oh dear. 15.
I have "issues", don't I?[/quote]

How's the Ovation? I'm very drawn to them and wouldn't e suprised if it were my only horizontal in the future.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='60140' date='Sep 13 2007, 10:02 PM']Any pics of your Hoffers?[/quote]

How about a CD-full?

Anything in particular interest you? I have a 1959 500/5 (the Sutcliffe bass), a 1960 500/3 (pre-Senator, with a toaster pickup), a wide range of 1960's basses, and my secret weapon ... the only known example of a 500/5 with active electronics.

Currently working on my Stealth Hofner, a 1964 Hofner 185 (Artist) fitted with a John East U-Retro. Flick a switch, and my bass suddenly sounds 40 years younger.

• 1 year later...

From 20 I've managed to work my way down to 11, I think.

I've one on the way too.

Rickenbacker 4001CS
Rickenbacker 4001C64S
Yamaha TRB4P
91 Warwick Thumb NT 4
Warmoth ACG Darkstar
Bass Collection SB320
Allparts ACG Jazzbastard
Peavey T40
Yamaha BB1500A
Aria Pro II shortscale - For sale
Les Evans Custom - For sale