Why become a member? ×

Regrets, I've had a few...

Pete Academy

Selling my first bass (Sunburst Gibson 1962 EB2) originally bought in 1974 for £120 in 1980 as I'd bought a Series One white Squier Precision which I sold a year later for £150. I don't mention the Jaydee sold for £400 or the Truvoice ( Selmer T&:) valve head I gave away to someone who cut down a tree in the garden for me!

[quote name='Marcus' post='519693' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:08 PM']Guys....

In 1986 I walked into a ropey little music shop in SUnderland called "Symphony Sound and Lighting" looking for my first Bass with my dad. In there was a (badly) beat up sunburst Fender Jazz. I tried it out because it was the cheapest in the shop and my dad only had a hundred quid to spend !! We haggleg with the guy in the shop and got it to a hundred quid. We but pushed a little harder to get a set of strings thrown in. The guy took a phone call about a pa hire..... lost interest in selling the bass and we left bemoning the poor customer service we'd experienced !

Later that day we took a train ride to Newcastle where we visited "Grott Guitars" and I became the proud owner of a Jedson Fretless, my first Bass guitar !!!

Only later did I realise that we'd turned down an early 60's (most likely pre CBS Jazz) for a hundred Quid !![/quote]

Grott guitar was mental im sure half the stuff was nicked,you could get bargains galore i remember a gibson flying V for 250 quid and a fender coranado for 200,i dont think vintage interest really went mad till the late 90s. The blokes in there were the funniest thet used to buy beers in the morning so if you went in the afternoon and they were mullered it was brilliant price wise. I suppose it probably flats or a coffee shop by now.

[quote name='tauzero' post='527561' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:35 AM']I had the offer of a Hofner violin bass for £75 (about 20 years ago) and didn't buy it because it was such a dreadful thing to play.[/quote]

If it's any consolation, you didn't buy it for the right reasons.

Selling my old battered mid-80s Jap Jazz. It needed some fret work doing, and the output was weak, but I should have just waited until I could afford it, it was so light!

Oh, and my GK 1001RB-II / Neo212 while I was out of work, but I fully intend to buy that rig again when I can afford it in a few years!

[quote name='YouMa' post='524124' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:08 PM']Grott guitar was mental im sure half the stuff was nicked,you could get bargains galore i remember a gibson flying V for 250 quid and a fender coranado for 200,i dont think vintage interest really went mad till the late 90s. The blokes in there were the funniest thet used to buy beers in the morning so if you went in the afternoon and they were mullered it was brilliant price wise. I suppose it probably flats or a coffee shop by now.[/quote]
I don't get much chance to get into the toon these days, but it was still a guitar shop last time I noticed, maybe a couple of years ago. Not Grott... something like Big 'n' Loud, or Fat 'n' Juicy, or Big 'n' Bouncy. I think it was run by the same bloke that has Making Music in North Shields. Mind you, I've got no idea if that's still there either. Fat lot of good I am.

Anyhoo, I can't see Old Eldon Square getting turned into flats any time soon. It's had a bit of a makeover, and it's much more commercially inviting. Not sure if the goths still hang out there though.

Not having any lessons when I started bass at 16
Not wearing earplugs ....um...ever (eh?)
Going to Uni instead of staying with the band
Swapping an Orange valve head for a bike in 1980 because I didn't realise you had to change the valves
Giving up bass for 10 years when the kids were small
Not buying a Wal when they were £500 s/h
Selling my brother my '72 Les Paul deluxe gold top ages ago - b@stard hasn't touched it
Not having the confidence to sing
Some of the dodgier stage gear. I won't go into the sordid details, just think "leather trousers".....

I feel quite depressed now :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='527690' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:10 PM']Not buying a Wal when they were £500 s/h
I feel quite depressed now :)[/quote]
Would it depress you more if I told you I paid £330 for mine..? :rolleyes:

Easy one this for me. When I was learning to play bass, my dream bass was a Musicman Stingray. When I got a record deal and our advance, I went and bought my dream bass, a brand new Teal Green 3 EQ Musicman Stingray from the old Bass Centre in Wapping. It was a beautiful bass and the best neck ever on a Musicman. I loved it. I recorded with it on our album and toured with it. In a moment of madness I sold it and I regret that so so very much. It was not my main bass and it did not suit my style but the memories of it, especially as it was my dream bass that I bought with my first advance gives it so much sentimental value. Just wish i still had her. Oh well.

Regrets : not studying bass when I was younger, I learned everything myself and this has its advantages but also its disavantages.
I landed in a coverband environment which is well paid but isn't really rewarding musically. To be honest I miss the drive of starting something now since I miss that enthusiasm when you are in your twenties.
Third regret : I bought a Wal MKI around 1993, I sold it "because it didn't sound enough like Mark King's basses..." (....!).
If I had kept it at the time it would have been my main bass since I ended up (about sixty basses later) on mainly Wal basses which I had to buy again..

Not missed out on any huge deals on basses, but I've missed a few amazing deals on guitars (eg. Ibanez Universe PWH for £400).

The only thing I really regret is not learning as much theory as I should have done when I started playing, at the time I was sick of all the classical music theory I had to do to play piano so I started bass with the mentality that I'd use tabs and not really focus on technical ability and just jam songs I liked.

Fast forward 5 years later I'm doing a grade 8 exam next week and my ear sucks (better than 5 years ago, mind you), I don't know nearly as much as I should about scales and my technique is a bit lazy.

[quote name='chris_b' post='518714' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:34 PM']No.[/quote]
Nearly "no"

My one regret was that I didn't buy a Ken Smith VI in 1998.
My then girlfriend said it was too expensive, and I listened to her. Last time I've done that.
These days, new instruments just magically appear.

I [i]resent[/i] the fact that one band I was in disintegrated, but that was beyond my immediate control...

Slightly OT, but my worst live playing mistake was probably at the beginning of a new song at my church which was in 6/8, and the intro was G | G | C | C| then some other typical worship stuff, but I kinda read it as G | C | and when everyone was playing something else I presumed it was another song and didn't realise it was the real song until about 3 1/2 bars in.... This was ina church with about 600 people. *face turns to beetroot

[quote name='jensenmann' post='528219' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:35 PM']Definitely my biggest mistake was to sell my custom coloured 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH it still gives me sleepless nights[/quote]

Ouch! :) What colour was it?

[quote name='iamapirate' post='528158' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:39 PM']Slightly OT, but my worst live playing mistake was probably at the beginning of a new song at my church which was in 6/8, and the intro was G | G | C | C| then some other typical worship stuff, but I kinda read it as G | C | and when everyone was playing something else I presumed it was another song and didn't realise it was the real song until about 3 1/2 bars in.... This was ina church with about 600 people. *[b]face turns to beetroot[/b][/quote]

[Emphasis added by me]

Schoolboy error there. For future reference, pretend it was a solo and put on your best [b][i]Bass Face[/i][/b] [sup]TM[/sup]

[quote name='Rich' post='527716' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:43 PM']Would it depress you more if I told you I paid £330 for mine..? :)[/quote]

Come the revolution; you will be the first against the wall, and your Wal liberated by the proletariat (ie; me) :rolleyes:

[quote name='jensenmann' post='528396' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:12 AM']Metallic green. That made it look kind of UFO-ish[/quote]

Damn, that sounds lush. never heard of / seen that custom option. Any pics?