Why become a member? ×

Regrets, I've had a few...

Pete Academy

[quote name='mike257' post='528808' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:41 PM']I got offered a lovely one for a little more than that from my old boss about 8 years ago. If only I had a DeLorean.[/quote]

That reminds me of my biggest regret, actually, which was selling the DeLorean in 3 years time.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

My biggest regret as far as basses goes is constantly buying crap ones, getting frustrated with them cos they're not as good as I've convinced myself they are and selling them at a massive loss. In hind sight I would have just saved up enough money to buy something actually worth having intead of spending £500 a go on basses that just arent really that great! In the past 10 years I've owned about 14 or 15 basses and I've whittled it down to a handful that I actually like! The problem is I kept looking at what people were playing and trying out really expensive basses and then realising I couldn't afford them I bought what I presumed was the next best thing which was obviously nowhere near as good! Nowadays I don't buy a bass unless I can see myself still playing it in 10 years time and I can actually justify owning it!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='528570' date='Jun 30 2009, 01:03 PM']Come the revolution; you will be the first against the wall, and your Wal liberated by the proletariat (ie; me) :)

Damn, that sounds lush. never heard of / seen that custom option. Any pics?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. That happend to be in times before digital cameras.

• 4 months later...

This year I have bought and got rid of a 09 P bass, A G&L L2000 tribute, a nice Mexican 60`s jazz and due to unemployment have had to punt my stingray. And I miss the 4 of them for various reasons.

Still it could be worse, I could be a drummer.

Jez :)

I have 2 big regrets -

I turned down a chance to do an apprenticeship in piano tech - every part from restoring the woodwork, metal frame mechanics to restringing and tuning (which can still be a very lucrative business) - This in turn led me to be unemployed for a couple of years, and finance got so bad I had to sell my '73 P bass, Marshall 100 valve and 3 4x12 cabs for the rediculous sum of £325.

The other was doing some really stupid jobs which led to the health problems which now plague me, and have had a major impact on my ability to play.

Still.....we live and learn :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='518910' date='Jun 19 2009, 09:18 PM']My big regret is that I have never played music with other people. I lack confidence in my abilities now and can't see me ever doing it.[/quote]

The problem is just that you can't visualise yourself doing something that the rational part of you surely must know is well within your capabilities.

If you allow fear to prevent you achieving something that could make you really happy, you'll always, always regret it.

Visualisation is a very powerful technique. I think you should try visualising yourself going to some band auditions, joining one (or more) and playing on stage, in front of people. The more you start to "see" yourself doing this, the more likely it is to happen, because your mental barriers will recede and it will start to seem more realistic and feasible.

What have you got to lose? The feelings you have to confront in order to go and play in front of others are a lot less painful than a lifetime of regret over not even trying.

[quote name='51m0n' post='519677' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:50 PM']Not working hard at reading when at music college, if I'd got reading and charts down I'd have been set to get work as a jobbing bassist. (that one _really_ bugs me)[/quote]

Yo dude!

It's never too late to learn to read and you could still seek out work (PT). You could do this easily.

[quote name='51m0n' post='519677' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:50 PM']Then giving up bass in all but name for about 4 or 5 years. At one point my technique was really really good, and I could play all day long at full tilt and not be fatigued, currently the amount of practicing I'm doing means my hands are utterly knackered :/ .[/quote]

I still think your technique is amazing - seriously funktastic! But I can understand the desire to constantly improve and can understand the hand fatigue issue, I wish I had started playing bass at school! I used to be able to play for crazy amounts of time, ten hour practice sessions would fly by. Maybe it's just that bass is a physically hard instrument but I can't practice for anywhere near the same time, much as I'd love to!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='518732' date='Jun 19 2009, 05:56 PM']Selling my 76 Thunderbird, I am a cock.[/quote]

[quote name='Rayman' post='518856' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:16 PM']Selling my extremely fabulous 1985 Yamaha BB3000S. I too am a cock.[/quote]

Selling my 83 Aria Pro II SB Elite so I could go on a lads holiday...

2 weeks of sun and hangovers = over 20 years of regret

I am a cock.
:)

That is truly bizarre Nigel.

My regrets. Selling my B2A and Peavey amp 10 years ago for a ridiculously low price. But I was skint and needed the money and I didn't know it's true value - there was no basschat back then.
Also not being able or ever having had a lesson. The result is my playing is frustratingly poor, to the point I sometimes just think I shouldn't bother.

Turning down the offer to teach scantily clad women how to jet ski in the Bahamas, selling my '79 Laverda Jota, getting engaged to a nut case, not studying while at school, swapping my Columbus Precision copy for some really crap darkroom equipment that I never used in the mid 80's.

But..... my most proudest and best achievement (even that wasn't entirely down to me!)..... becoming a Father for the first time at the age of 44 and seeing my wonderful Son grow up....... sheer magic of nature.

[quote name='Clarky72' post='757395' date='Feb 25 2010, 06:30 PM']Selling my 83 Aria Pro II SB Elite so I could go on a lads holiday...

2 weeks of sun and hangovers = over 20 years of regret

I am a cock.
:)[/quote]

Similar story - sold my gorgeous Jetglo Ric 4001 at the age of 18 to go on a lad's holiday to the South of France. Twat.

Oh lord, I regret moving on so much of my gear! but im in a happy place which kinda makes up for it...

I miss my Eden Nemesis NC810 so much, sounded great, wasnt [i]that[/i] much of a ballache to move round.

I think my Biggest regret though is selling my Bacchus Woodline Turbo 5 with J retro Pre. Man that bass was awesome. I Think I used half the money i sold it for on a G&L L2500 Tribute which i kept for about a week, and spent the rest getting bladdered. Lesson learnt.

[quote name='Pentode' post='757654' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:12 PM']You sold a '79 Jota!!!!!!

What the f*** is wrong with you Man?

Best bike I ever rode - sex on wheels! :)[/quote]

I'm ashamed to say it gets worse.
Some years later I bought another one, never rode it and almost gave it away, along with an RGS! I too admit to being a cock.

[quote name='silddx' post='757782' date='Feb 26 2010, 01:14 AM']Seconded :)[/quote]

It's the bike I had the most fun with certainly. I rode it to the factory in Breganze when Laverda were based there, enjoyed track days at Cadwell, Mallory and Goodwood, met up with 200 like minded loons on a couple of occasions in Holland and made some good friends I still see 25 years later. I sat in my garage one night, just looking at it. Some one once said the Jota looked like it was doing 100 mph while standing still. Nothing else sounds like it, I really do miss it.