Why become a member? ×

Regrets, I've had a few...

Pete Academy

A few years ago I was looking for a nice s/h Musicman Stingray 5. After a long time trawling the shops and ebay, I finally gave up. Then one day I happened to go into a local small shop and spotted the perfect one - 1997 vintage sunburst. maple board, played like a dream, absolute mint condition. I got a great deal on it. I couldn't believe it. Then about 12 months later, in a fit of total madness, I sold it to buy an orange Bongo 5, which I kept for 5 minutes.

I've regretted this ever since. Why do we do these stupid things?

Anyone else done this, or simply bought something because it looked a bit 'different'?

I took me a few year for the regret to set in, but hacking my SB Elite and installing a Dimarzio Model One...

Oh and throwing my Dean Edge 4 off the stage at a gig. The bass had only been in my possession for about 4 hours. Of course, I didn't know I had done this until I opened the case at the next band practice and noticed cracks around the pots. Fortunately it came off pretty well...
I blame a let set time and way too much free booze...
:blush:

but remember the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='518722' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:43 PM']but remember the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done.[/quote]

Nothing itches like a temptation resisted, eh? :rolleyes:

But maybe I shouldn't have commissioned that fretted/fretless twin-neck all those years ago... :)

As far as instruments are concerned my biggest regret is selling my Chapman Stick a few years ago.
Somebody offered me twice what I paid for it, and in a moment of blind greed I accepted.

I've owned a few basses that I wish I still had, not because they were great basses ( they weren't) but purely because of how much they change hands for now.

My biggest regret is is drilling holes in my lovely USA Jazz bass to fit a chrome bridge cover/ashtray which only stayed on for a couple days. :) Now the lacquer has cracked around the holes and it looks pretty awful.

I've been thinking about getting it repaired by a luthier but I'm not sure how well it would turn out.

I bought an Alembic 20th Anniversary in 1989, and it took 2 years to pay of the loan for it at the time. I sold it for a small profit because I needed a good 5-string (I bought a Tobias Classic 5). I still wish I hadn't sold it, but I just couldn't raise the extra funds. I saw one on ebay a few years ago for £1500 and wished I'd bought it now.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='518743' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:02 PM']I bought an Alembic 20th Anniversary in 1989, and it took 2 years to pay of the loan for it at the time. I sold it for a small profit because I needed a good 5-string (I bought a Tobias Classic 5). I still wish I hadn't sold it, but I just couldn't raise the extra funds. I saw one on ebay a few years ago for £1500 and wished I'd bought it now.[/quote]That's harsh mate.

Doing a gig for this Elvis Costello soundalike who obviously wasn't going to do anything so I never called him back... who happened to be called David Arnold. B*llocks, Mr Bond! Also selling an AAAAA maple Warwick Streamer 6 for less than I paid for it on a whim, and also a lovely Sadowsky MV5 for silly money. That's what you get for being fickle! Oh and buying and selling no less than three Chapman Sticks!

My first and only real major regret (so far… :rolleyes: ) was selling a really nice Warwick Streamer “Bolt-On” that played beautifully and sounded incredible that I got in a trade deal for a Streamer Stage II. I traded it for a Musicman Sterling that I only kept for about a month before selling it on…

You’ve got to make mistakes to learn from them :)

My big regret is that I have never played music with other people. I lack confidence in my abilities now and can't see me ever doing it.

Is this music only? cos I regret not having sex with more girls before I got married! I'm the faithful sort so it's too late now!

[quote name='Golchen' post='518910' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:18 PM']My big regret is that I have never played music with other people. I lack confidence in my abilities now and can't see me ever doing it.[/quote]

You can do it man. It's never too late to start...

[quote name='Golchen' post='518910' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:18 PM']My big regret is that I have never played music with other people. I lack confidence in my abilities now and can't see me ever doing it.[/quote]

We need an action plan to get you to a jam night or into a band! Just watched one of your youtube videos and you have plenty of ability, and that's coming from quite a harsh critic.

Alex