Why become a member? ×

anybody watched This Town?

just watched This Town, good in parts, not so good in others, but the ending, although highly predictable was truly ridiculous, the whole crowd invasion thing to a song they'd never heard by a band they'd never heard off and worst song by the band in the whole series as well

That's what's known as failure of suspension of disbelief.

You can generally ignore all kinds of nonsense during fictional films as being necessary for the story telling. But of something that wouldn't normally happen in real life but is obviously not extreme and/or you have experience of it, the whole storytelling illusion is broken for you. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

• Like 1

I too enjoyed it but was slightly miffed that it wasn’t quite what the trailers portrayed which seemed more about the birth of the British ska scene. 

Enjoyed the acting though. Especially Lady Mary Crawley as the alcoholic mum with the voice of an angel!

I've read that there will be more. The first series' main purpose is to establish the characters, apparently.

I thought the crowd on stage thing (and the sudden influx of decent gear) was a bit odd. It was a good watch on the whole.

I'm afraid that it stretched my gullibility beyond snapping point, and, although I did watch it right through to the end, was rather disappointed at so much promise being squandered. There was a weft of decent plot running through it all, but the weave was not 'right'; the characters bobbed about in mawkish sauce in order to get to the unconvincing ending. I can't see it coming back without a re-write; might as well start afresh with more credible material. A wasted opportunity, especially after the preceding series. Never mind. :(

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I really enjoyed it.  As others have mentioned, a suspension of disbelief is essential.

For me the least believable element was that relatively new songwriters could be quite so advanced in songwriting and arrangement, but I understand watching them go through years of plodding about would be terrible TV.

I'm looking forward to a future series though.

Edited by James Nada
Typo

I enjoyed it. It’s a romanticised tale set in an era many of us grew up in. It’s neither gritty drama nor black comedy. A bit of a pastiche. Don’t expect too much and it’s entertaining nonsense.

I watched it all . I live a few miles from where it was shot in Druidsheath in Birmingham, so loved that connection and the whole Midlands thing. The Gregory Williams character turned a bit Tommy Shelby towards the end for me. However given its writer maybe to be expected. Music was great whilst the band outcome was seen a mile off it was enjoyable

On 29/04/2024 at 13:33, Lozz196 said:

I tried watching it as from the ads it looked great, sadly lasted 15mins and gave up.

Worth sticking with, we almost gave up at episode 3 but kept going for the promise of a bit of SLF's suspect device, episode 4 onwards was much more enjoyable! 

I watched it, expecting it to be about some people forming a two tone band. It was more about the IRA etc... was a good watch, but mis-sold.

They really have no idea about how a band works.. they painted the main guy as the lyrics person and the blond girl as the musical leader of the group, but they passed ideas between them or collaborated on anything.

At the drummer's audition they decided whether to give her the job by recording two versions of the song ... one with her on drums and one with no drums at all. If the one with drums sounded better the job was hers! Especially ridiculous she was obviously a really good drummer.

The girl in the record shop who had no had no musical experience at the last minute decided to take up bass. Next scene.. the band are playing a song with a cracking bassline.

But I suppose non-musicians won't have noticed and just enjoyed it on face value. And maybe people who know any thing about IRA situation at that time would have found lots of faults with that side of the story.