Why become a member? ×

The bass model design that You hate with passion.

Not hate, but some I just cannot get on with...Ric's with that really thin neck...G&L tribbys with that fat neck...anything that weighs more than my car....mostly it's all about feel and tone. I used to play an RD Artist, so not much bothered by weird body shapes...

Oh, agree about coffee table basses, unless you are a hardcore jazzer...

I don't hate any, don't dislike many - just have an order of preference.  I am not keen on single cutaway basses, especially those that resemble a cartoon whale with a large overbite.  But I have owned single cutaways.  Conversely I am a sucker for a symmetrical double cutaway and find my heart pulls me towards that shape, even if my head might advise me otherwise.

• Like 1

As is often the case in these discussions, I’ll get the elephant in the room out of the way before 

anyone else chips in. I love this design, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc….

IMG_0277.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

It's funny how much variation we have on what we like/hate. Guess that's why there are so many choices out there....

I don't care for the way a longhorn bass looks, but love the way they play....

Mostly though, I don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job. 

8 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

It's funny how much variation we have on what we like/hate. Guess that's why there are so many choices out there....

I don't care for the way a longhorn bass looks, but love the way they play....

Mostly though, I don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job. 

There is nothing wrong with that, keep doing that !!!😉

I'll leave the hate for the politicians but Ive never been drawn to any other bass other than P basses and Rays, tried Jazzes once...nope.....A bass has to hang comfortably on the strap and sit well, and they do..plu they both sound solid.

Unpleasing to my eyes are Non-reverse Thunderbirds, The single cut Telecaster bass, Dingwalls, and everthing that Ibanez and Yamaha have put out.

Given how much grief it gets for looking like a toilet seat, no mention of the Bongo yet. I don't mind it all. However, the...

1 hour ago, pst62 said:

Unpleasing to my eyes are Non-reverse Thunderbirds,

are not one I'd ever want to own, I love the original T'bird, but the non reverse looks like Gibson just couldn't be bothered to me. That said, I know that there are plenty of folk who love them and the Ox used that shape his Fenderbird, IIRC. Horses for courses, beauty in the eye of, etc.

• Like 1

It’s not the body designs that usually make me dislike a bass, it’s the headstock (or lack of). G&L, Mike Lull, Sadowsky etc. All amazing basses though I’m sure!

Edited by interpol52

1 hour ago, interpol52 said:

It’s not the body designs that usually make me dislike a bass, it’s the headstock (or lack of). G&L, Mike Lull, Sadowsky etc. All amazing basses though I’m sure!

Hmm..if we talk about headstock dislike - Sire.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, neepheid said:

How's the report you're authoring for your powers-that-be back on your home planet coming along? I fear that we're failing the test... ;)

"Mork calling Orson, come in Orson..."

• Haha 5

Vox Starstream (especially the silly feet).

Any Alembic with stupid pointy bits or too many controls (but not sensible ones).

In fact any bass with a gimmicky appearance (e.g. rudely shaped metal tubes around the body, wearable basses, etc.)