Why become a member? ×

Is there a popular bass player, that you just don’t get?

3 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I suppose it’s not that odd for an Indian though , if I have a dish I will normally have a bread with it, why not slap it on top of the bread (obviously not a chicken curry though 😂 )

I think types of Asian bread ( naan etc) served with curry etc are completely different from the exotic pizzas

mentioned on here . Pizza is by definition ( for me anyway) a doughy base topped with a tomato sauce and mozzarella,

and then adorned with various other items. I dislike pizza without the tomato/mozzarella combo, and those with

toppings that any proud Italian would refrain from eating. 
Blimey, people will be having curry sauce with fish&chips next - oh, wait a minute………😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

a doughy base topped with a tomato sauce and mozzarella,

That’s me peckish now 🤤.

I love how this thread is now two different discussions of statistical terms and pizza. :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

two different discussions

There's more than that!

There's also the original topic and spin off about anti-intellectualism...

Talking of which, do overly-busy bass players prefer more exotic pizza flavours and die-hard root/fifth only folks favour a basic Margherita?

Intelligence measurement is normalised so that its an evenly distributed bell curve. 

Exactly half the population are below average intelligence. 

But it's like driving - some people are better than others, we set a lower limit and test, those that don't make the lower limit can't drive. 

Unfortunately there's nothing like this test for using social media. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashborygirl said:

You may well be correct, I vaguely recall some rule about omitting multiples of the same number in a data set but its been 40 years since I left school.

👍it's been a long time for me too, but can't ever remember having to use the median in real life.

42 minutes ago, TimR said:

Exactly half the population are below average intelligence. 

Hold up, for that to be true the other half of the population would have to be above the average, which would mean no-one was of average intelligence.  That in turn would mean my school reports were all lies.

Edited by Ashborygirl
  • Haha 2

On 06/04/2024 at 09:33, Ashborygirl said:

Unless my maths has gone the same way as most of my joints, I don't think it does.   As an example, we have 10 people of whom 9 have 10 GCSEs & 1 person has 1 GCSE. 

The average (mean) is 9.1 GCSEs so only 1 person is below average, not 5.  

The median is 5.5 so, again, 1 person is below the median, not 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median

In your example, the median would be 10, so admittedly there would be one below and none above. But in the example of education levels of a population, which would be a gaussian distribution, the numbers would be the same.

On 06/04/2024 at 01:03, Frank Blank said:

Several...

• Lord Lucan
  • Yvonne Goolagong
  • Lyme Regis
  • Janet Street-Porter
  • Tony Gubba
  • The Larch
  • Archbishop Justin Welby
  • Ali Bongo
  • The Galloping Gourmet
  • Finsbury Park
  • Delia Smith
  • The Bakerloo Line
  • @Teebs
  • Maigret
  • Faith Brown
  • Jeremy Thorpe
  • Kendo Nagasaki
  • Lloyd Grossman
  • Lloyd Bridges
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Keith Floyd
  • Charlie (from Charlie's Angels)
  • Vangelis
  • Liberace

I am gutted to find myself omitted from your list.

• Confused 1

On 06/04/2024 at 13:02, casapete said:

I think types of Asian bread ( naan etc) served with curry etc are completely different from the exotic pizzas

mentioned on here . Pizza is by definition ( for me anyway) a doughy base topped with a tomato sauce and mozzarella,

and then adorned with various other items. I dislike pizza without the tomato/mozzarella combo, and those with

toppings that any proud Italian would refrain from eating. 
Blimey, people will be having curry sauce with fish&chips next - oh, wait a minute………😆

Pizza is just an open topped italian pie. No ingredient is essential except the base.

I've eaten pizza at some of the most highly regarded purveyors of the craft in Italy, USA ect. Some were really good, some were very overrated. The best by far, however, was made by some Turkish people in Sheffield at a little local takeaway. I took friends from NYC and Chicago there and they were blown away by it, too.

Similarly, a certain strata of British foodie is preoccupied with finding authentic Indian food. In India and Pakistan however, they couldn't care less about such bourgeois ideas and are quite happy to adapt their own cuisine to incorporate modern influences, providing the results are tasty.

I'm not convinced by the idea that"authenticity" is the ultimate goal when it comes to any kind of food. It's a very middle class obsession, born out of self-doubt. So enjoy your chicken tikka meatball and spaghetti nan bread pizza without guilt. Put couscous on it too if you like, if you live in North London.

Edited by Misdee

Thundercat.

I really don’t get the hype at all. I’ve tried and failed to get into anything he’s done.

Oh…… and Mono Neon.

Don’t understand.

• Like 2

I can appreciate the work of any bassist in the context of impressive work in a band or ensemble, it's a difficult job being rhythmic and melodic and we have to pay attention to drummers...

That said, most of the solo exhibitionist work I see leaves me completely cold, doesn't matter who really, Jaco solo is not a patch on his work with Weather Report or Joni Mitchell, and I do love some Jaco, Joe Darts solos are dull dull dull, but he sits in the pocket with the whole band and grooves like a b*st*rd.

If you solo Entwistle's tracks they are a cacophony, but in the context of the Who in full cry, it's a thing of wonder.

McCartney's Beatles tone was absolute dogs*t solo, but works brilliantly in the band's overall sound.

Context is everything, as always.

Except for Geddy Lee, that guy just sucks donkey balls. 😜