Why become a member? ×

Is there a popular bass player, that you just don’t get?

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

YouTube is all about bringing attention to yourself. You won't get millions of people subscribing to a chanel where players are just playing roots or doing stuff anyone can do at home themselves. 

Thank god you cleared that up for me. I'd never have guessed.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Thank god you cleared that up for me. I'd never have guessed.

I'm not sure anyone is supposed to 'enjoy' it. It's done to serve a function. 

On 03/04/2024 at 21:48, Stub Mandrel said:

I wondered when someone would mention Lemmy. I would refer the Jury to his time with Hawkwind, especially Space Ritual

I couldn't agree more. I was a young lad in the early 80's and only familiar with his Motorhead output (mainly the Overkill, Bomber, Ace Of Spades and No Sleep albums) when I learned about his previous career with Hawkwind. I was recommended to start with Space Ritual and I was astonished at how fluid and melodic his bass parts were compared to Motorhead. 'Lord Of Light' is an excellent example, which is pretty much built around an excellent meandering bassline. 'Down Through The Night' and the high parts of 'Space Is Deep' are of a similar quality. But he gives a great performance on the whole album. Especially so given the number of...er...inspirations the band were habitually partaking in on a daily basis.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

To be honest, I’m a bit sniffy about chicken on a pizza too. I’ve only ever had one that was acceptable and that was because it was very heavily spiced and barely recognisable as chicken. 

Is this acceptable? spaghetti and meatballs pizza?

image.png.9a0598fba28c7f665513c3c2434fbaba.png

• Haha 2

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

Bit of carbohydrate overkill going on there. Bread or pasta, not both. I imagine it would be the oddest eating experience too. Pass.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Bit of carbohydrate overkill going on there. Bread or pasta, not both. I imagine it would be the oddest eating experience too. Pass.

maybe I can tempt you with this, supposedly 'invented' in South Korea

image.png.1981300088c7914f23f36883de2b2c60.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Veering off topic here 😁, but one of my local shops does a donner kebab pizza 

What do mean OT? We’re all about pizza now.

51 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

maybe I can tempt you with this, supposedly 'invented' in South Korea

image.png.1981300088c7914f23f36883de2b2c60.png

Looks like hot dogs and sausage on a pizza is a classic, albeit normally sliced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Hi Nik.

I just find his playing way more than is needed, and it leaves me a bit cold. It's all horses for courses, naturally enough. I don't profess to be the arbiter in any such discussion (none of us holds that distinction). I'm not much of a fan of any player that feels the need to draw attention to themselves, be they a YouTuber or virtuoso. Neither of them do stuff that I enjoy. 

I can't do much of what they do, but then I don't want to. I appreciate technique, don't get me wrong. It just doesn't float my boat.

That's totally cool, Steve... 

We're all entitled to like what we like, play how we like and not like, etc, etc.. 

IMHO, we're lucky there's so much great music and great players to enjoy and be inspired by. 

• Like 2

Is there a popular bass player, that you just don’t get?

Several...

• Lord Lucan
  • Yvonne Goolagong
  • Lyme Regis
  • Janet Street-Porter
  • Tony Gubba
  • The Larch
  • Archbishop Justin Welby
  • Ali Bongo
  • The Galloping Gourmet
  • Finsbury Park
  • Delia Smith
  • The Bakerloo Line
  • @Teebs
  • Maigret
  • Faith Brown
  • Jeremy Thorpe
  • Kendo Nagasaki
  • Lloyd Grossman
  • Lloyd Bridges
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Keith Floyd
  • Charlie (from Charlie's Angels)
  • Vangelis
  • Liberace
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

My favourite ever pizza was a CO-OP one. Garlic chicken. It was lush, but the CO-OP closed down round our way and I have never seen anything similar.

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Several...

• Lord Lucan
  • Yvonne Goolagong
  • Lyme Regis
  • Janet Street-Porter
  • Tony Gubba
  • The Larch
  • Archbishop Justin Welby
  • Ali Bongo
  • The Galloping Gourmet
  • Finsbury Park
  • Delia Smith
  • The Bakerloo Line
  • @Teebs
  • Maigret
  • Faith Brown
  • Jeremy Thorpe
  • Kendo Nagasaki
  • Lloyd Grossman
  • Lloyd Bridges
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Keith Floyd
  • Charlie (from Charlie's Angels)
  • Vangelis
  • Liberace

You don't like the Galloping Gourmet?  Philistine.  Maybe you'd like his early, edgier work with the Trotting Tosspots, before he made a habit of having a quick slurp.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

one of my local shops does a donner kebab pizza 

A couple of years ago I went skiing in Les Contamines where there was a rather fine but distinctly off-beat pizza place (L'Ours Noir) run by the ski guide we'd got to know... There were daily specials, the weirdest was probably a Thai Chicken Green Curry Pizza which was excellent, if a bit lacking in the expected chilli (we were in France, after all!).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

A couple of years ago I went skiing in Les Contamines where there was a rather fine but distinctly off-beat pizza place (L'Ours Noir) run by the ski guide we'd got to know... There were daily specials, the weirdest was probably a Thai Chicken Green Curry Pizza which was excellent, if a bit lacking in the expected chilli (we were in France, after all!).

I suppose it’s not that odd for an Indian though , if I have a dish I will normally have a bread with it, why not slap it on top of the bread (obviously not a chicken curry though 😂 )

3 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I suppose it’s not that odd for an Indian though , if I have a dish I will normally have a bread with it, why not slap it on top of the bread (obviously not a chicken curry though 😂 )

I once worked with a guy who would order a stuffed paratha with his meal. When it it all pitched up, he would put the paratha on his plate and add his curry of choice to the top, very much like a pizza, although I can’t remember if that included rice. I tried it and it was an odd eating experience as it did feel like eating a pizza and any flavour in the paratha was overwhelmed by the amount of sauce.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

It's exactly how the median works, by definition 

Unless my maths has gone the same way as most of my joints, I don't think it does.   As an example, we have 10 people of whom 9 have 10 GCSEs & 1 person has 1 GCSE. 

The average (mean) is 9.1 GCSEs so only 1 person is below average, not 5.  

The median is 5.5 so, again, 1 person is below the median, not 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lurksalot said:

suppose it’s not that odd for an Indian though

There is an Indian version of pizza... We used to live by a most excellent South Indian restaurant near Dollis Hill called Saravanas (no ' I'm afraid Doug!) which did a dish called Utthapam which had onions, fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs and lots of spices on a bread that was somewhere between chapati, naan and paratha. And it was lovely!

• Like 2