Why become a member? ×

How many of us are in bands that have broken up?

Jonesy

4 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

I'd guess that most folk here with more than a year's playing, have been in bands which are no more. As George said, "All things must pass." (Sadly) 😢

Yes, but are we still in them? How many have broken up without us knowing!???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

That's a different matter entirely. Reminds me of Pink Floyd and Syd; Stones and Brian Jones. I seem to recall many years ago, that Santana was thrown out of Santana. Yep, Bandworld sure is a strange place to inhabit. 😵‍💫

I'm technically still in a band I joined in 1997. Had a couple of rehearsals, then the guitarist said he was away with work for a couple of weeks and he'd arrange rehearsals when he got back. Never heard from him again.  

Edited by TheRev
  • Haha 4

My old ‘80s cover band are still technically a band, even though we are very much geographically broken up. It was a southwestern, M25 based band, where the bass player has now moved to Scotland and the keyboard player to Blackpool. The FB page is still active and, I guess, we may all be in the same locale, at the same time, whereupon a get together or gig would be eminently suitable. I miss those guys.

I teach English online via webcam and my office is my studio with all my instruments in the background. 

I constantly get asked by my students about music and often tell them all about my band.

We haven't played together in almost a year but according to the old YouTube channel we're now very popular in China. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm in a couple which are in indefinite hiatus, and possibly in another one which I departed from the offshoot of.

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

I was once in a four-piece band where at no point were the four band members ever in the same room at the same time. That was around 1996.

As far as I know we're still together.

You can break up if you ever manage to all get together……

• Haha 2

The last band I was in broke up finally and very acrimoniously (drummer in the red corner and singer in the blue) at the start of my wedding anniversary party and refused to play. Thanks!

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, TheRev said:

I'm technically still in a band I joined in 1997. Had a couple of rehearsals, then the guitarist said he was away with work for a couple of weeks and he'd arrange rehearsals when he got back. Never heard from him again.  

That reminds me of Mika Hakkinen a bit.

Technically he’s still on sabbatical from Formula One but hasn’t heard when he’s coming back! 

• Haha 1

I was in a band that sort of did that. It was 1988, we were a (ok I'm biased) really bloody good Go West-ish pop rock band with 2 record companies interested. I knew the drummer was having musical differences and it finally came to a head and he quit. The remaining 4 of us arranged a band meeting to decide the way forward; I assumed we were going to audition some new drummers and get back out there, and get one of those labels (Island and Virgin, IIRC) to sign us. The obvious move, yes? Hah.

What happened was that the two main songwriters had already discussed things (EDIT: on reflection, one of them had talked the other into it), and arrived at the meeting to present his/their decision to split the band as a fait accompli to the other 2 of us. I think he thought they could do a Tears For Fears and present themselves to the record companies as a recording duo with live hired guns. Unfortunately what the companies liked was the live 5-piece they'd seen, and all interest instantly evaporated. Thus buggering it up for all of us. I was *this* close to being a household name. 🙁

Edited by Rich
  • Sad 2

Technically, I'm the bassist in a band called 'New Dog Old Tricks' which formed in 2022 and played one gig. While we never formally disbanded, all four of us are in other bands and haven't got together as a quartet since August 22. I sense the opportunity for a reunion gig sometime in the future as we're all still on friendly terms. 

• Like 1