Why become a member? ×

If you could, would you be a Pro player

TheGreek

3 hours ago, acidbass said:

I was a full time musician/music teacher in my early 20s and grew to hate music.  As has been echoed above - I love it as a hobby and hate it as a job.

Been teaching school music since 1980 and loved almost everything about it

• Like 1

In my 30’s I got tired of the local circuit. Cheap hotels , road food , and spending all of my time in a band vehicle became wearisome. So I decided that I’d sleep in my own bed and just take gigs in town. On my terms. And have a life.

And was much happier. 
Now I’m not a big star , but I’m happy being a simple working class musician. 

My 2 cents; I never have been a pro but I assume it might be easy nowadays with high speed internet... You can work at distance without even moving... i'm not sure if you can make a living with it as a "studio" recorder without gigging, but I know some pros (not bassists only) works that way ; a call, "make me this or that", send files, get files, send to producer ... etc... But I do realize making a living of it must implies a high level of notoriety ?

It's how I earn my living. All you need to do is drastically reduce your financial dependency. No expensive cars, no big house, no holidays, no drink or drugs, no fancy clothes, no hobbies.

Anything the money you make doesn't cover, you need you take the odd bit of cash work here and there.

In other words you have to really want it.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2024 at 12:11, Mickeyboro said:

I reckon you’re better off where you are too. She can sing, but he can’t….

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

She’s good. He’s a good guitarist. Should sell his mic tho.

Agreed, although I’m not that enamoured with his guitar playing either TBH.

Loses all the simple beauty of Mike Campbell’s original by playing silly OTT flourishes.

The female singer is rather good though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It's how I earn my living. All you need to do is drastically reduce your financial dependency. No expensive cars, no big house, no holidays, no drink or drugs, no fancy clothes, no hobbies.

Yup, that’s been more or less me for over 30 years!

We’ve had many holidays in the south of France and the UK, and okay a drink is sometimes

taken. My main hobby is walking so minimal expenditure there too. 😊 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, casapete said:

Agreed, although I’m not that enamoured with his guitar playing either TBH.

Loses all the simple beauty of Mike Campbell’s original by playing silly OTT flourishes.

The female singer is rather good though.

My band played a double bill show with them last summer. She came up to me and complimented me on our set .  She was wearing a long floor length dress ,big floppy hat and sun glasses.  She doesn't get down to the shorts and stuff until she goes on stage . She puts a large fan in front of herself to blow her hair around.

Daryl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Does the fan have to stand there all night? What happens if they need to use the bathroom, or get a drink from the bar?

I say she gets a A for effort. I think the fan is a pretty good idea for enhancing her stage presence. 

Daryl

Well, I have no issue with those white shorts at all @Bluewine, but I was concerned that the bass player seemed to be afflicted by a post-Vindaloo stomach-cramp requiring him to crouch and gurn at the audience in apparent agony - I hope he made it through the set with unstained undercrackers...

6 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Well, I have no issue with those white shorts at all @Bluewine, but I was concerned that the bass player seemed to be afflicted by a post-Vindaloo stomach-cramp requiring him to crouch and gurn at the audience in apparent agony - I hope he made it through the set with unstained undercrackers...

33 minutes ago, Gasman said:

. . . . I was concerned that the bass player seemed to be afflicted by a post-Vindaloo stomach-cramp requiring him to crouch and gurn at the audience in apparent agony - I hope he made it through the set with unstained undercrackers...

If I struck a pose like that I'd need someone to help me up afterwards!!

The one thing this thread has made clear is that it's not a matter of would you... the pros have worked like foooook and been prepared to make huge sacrifices (sometimes economic, sometimes artistic) to be pro. Those who were destined to be pro are pro, the rest of us are not, no matter how much we may like to think that we prefer not to be 🙂

Many of us made such sacrifies and devoded such effort and talent into other fields and have been a success.  That being the case, for some it will indeed be a case of prefer not to be. 

I'm good enough for sure, but at my age when I'm financially secure and retired anyway...why would I?  I've not even made the effort because I really would prefer not to be with my 57th birthday on the horizon.

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The one thing this thread has made clear is that it's not a matter of would you... the pros have worked like foooook and been prepared to make huge sacrifices (sometimes economic, sometimes artistic) to be pro. Those who were destined to be pro are pro, the rest of us are not, no matter how much we may like to think that we prefer not to be 🙂

My thought process was I could either continue being poor and rent in London, or get an office job to build a secure future and have time and money for my other interests. If I had loved every single minute of the gigs I played I might have made the sacrifice but I didn’t. I’m pretty sure that is choice over destiny.

I’d have loved to be a pro musician for a living, and if I could go back I would even now.

Despite all the pitfalls I’d need to experience and find out for myself.

But on the flip side, I’ve never had my love of playing music ruined by the business side of it, so maybe the route I’ve taken as a semi-pro muso was actually the right one, albeit unintentional.

As Sir Mick of Jagger once said, you can’t always get what you want but you just might get what you need….

• Like 1

For me, absolutely not.  Even if I had started early, not late, in life - the lifestyle of a professional musician is not for me and is nothing I would ever have aspired to.  Much as I enjoy playing bass and being in a band it is purely as a hobby and on my terms.   Being a bassist is a part of my life but it doesn't define me.

• Like 5