Why become a member? ×

Where next? An itch I want to scratch.

Pirellithecat

There's a sound in my head ...........
Love my Sandberg VM4, lovely to play, great quality, super flexible ..... but I'd love to try a slightly less "mid forward" sounding bass. 
EQ doesn't really get me there, so I wondered ....
Anyone moved away from Sandberg and if so, to what?  

How would a MM/Sterling Stingray/Fender Professional II/Performer, be?
Other suggestions?

I'm in the middle of nowhere so it would be great to get a "hit list" and then do the road trip to compare them. 
Primary use in Rock Covers band, but with the potential for that Blues/Rock vibe should the need arise........

• Like 1

I'd try a pickup change first. I'm a big Sandberg fan, and the neck feel and playability are like nothing else. However, the standard large pole piece pickups leave me a bit cold.... Conversely, their Alnico V pickups in my TT5 passive are absolutely killer, really toneful and organic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

There's a sound in my head ...........
Love my Sandberg VM4, lovely to play, great quality, super flexible ..... but I'd love to try a slightly less "mid forward" sounding bass. 
EQ doesn't really get me there, so I wondered ....
Anyone moved away from Sandberg and if so, to what?  

How would a MM/Sterling Stingray/Fender Professional II/Performer, be?
Other suggestions?

I'm in the middle of nowhere so it would be great to get a "hit list" and then do the road trip to compare them. 
Primary use in Rock Covers band, but with the potential for that Blues/Rock vibe should the need arise........

You don't see the Thundergun hanging up in every shop, bought mine online, but I think it's one of the best-kept secrets in the bass world.

Picsart_23-08-15_13-18-21-404.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I'd try a pickup change first. I'm a big Sandberg fan, and the neck feel and playability are like nothing else. However, the standard large pole piece pickups leave me a bit cold.... Conversely, their Alnico V pickups in my TT5 passive are absolutely killer, really toneful and organic.

I have the Sandberg (not Delano) pups in mine.   I have tried switching out the P for a Fender 62 Custom Shop, but the difference was only marginally better.   In particular the Humbucker at the Bridge position produces a sound I can't get my head round.  Maybe I should just try a VS (Passive), but then I should have a look at other options.  Or maybe move to a VT/TT??
As you say, in terms of playability/neck feel the Sandberg is the great  ......... 

• Like 1

Depends on the sound you're after - not sure what you currently have in your head?! 

Based purely on my own journey/experience when I moved on from my Sanderg TM4 (for the same pup reasons as @TRBboy mentioned, in my case Delanos):

• If you want more of a growl, then I'd happily recommend an Ibanez SR premium range - light, super fast neck, very decent on board EQ
  • Closer to a Sandberg VM4, then a used Yamaha BB 1024 won't break the bank and is a classy, purely passive, bass.
  • Something spectacularly good but not cheap - Spector Euro LX with EMG pick-ups or more off the beaten track Elrick.

YMMV 

Have fun!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Depends on the sound you're after - not sure what you currently have in your head?! 

Based purely on my own journey/experience when I moved on from my Sanderg TM4 (for the same pup reasons as @TRBboy mentioned, in my case Delanos):

• If you want more of a growl, then I'd happily recommend an Ibanez SR premium range - light, super fast neck, very decent on board EQ
  • Closer to a Sandberg VM4, then a used Yamaha BB 1024 won't break the bank and is a classy, purely passive, bass.
  • Something spectacularly good but not cheap - Spector Euro LX with EMG pick-ups or more off the beaten track Elrick.

YMMV 

Have fun!

Thanks Al ....
Had a High end SR - as you say fantastically fast neck etc, loved it in terms of playability etc, but needed a bit more of a Rock/Blues machine so traded it for a Fender Professional P.   Sounded great but I just didn't love the thing.  Tempted by the Yamaha's not really tried any of the higher end ones though - so I'll pop it on my list!! 
I had the Spector down as a modern-sounding device  - I'll see if I can find one to try. 

So thanks for the input 

No love for Stingrays?  Tried one very briefly recently and the "punch" was impressive!  

G&L L-2000. Perfect for the genres you listed.

I love the USA MM Sterling basses (neck to die for) but from my experience I find they are mids heavy compared to StingRays (which is not a bad thing unless like you is not the sound you're after )

2EQ StingRay? Have that lovely top end with big bottom sound.

All imo 

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 2

The VM4 is the reversed P and MM pickup model? Is the tonal issue on all pickup selections or one specific pickup? Is the MM wired in serial or parallel or can you switch? If it's hardwired serial (which would give a mid heavy sound as you describe), adding a switch to allow you to change to parallel wiring could get what you're looking for very cheaply.

If you like how the bass plays, I'd generally try to achieve what you desire on that before spending big money on something you may not get along so well with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The VM4 is the reversed P and MM pickup model? Is the tonal issue on all pickup selections or one specific pickup? Is the MM wired in serial or parallel or can you switch? If it's hardwired serial (which would give a mid heavy sound as you describe), adding a switch to allow you to change to parallel wiring could get what you're looking for very cheaply.

If you like how the bass plays, I'd generally try to achieve what you desire on that before spending big money on something you may not get along so well with.

Good shout, series/split/parallel mini toggle would be well easy to do. That MM humbucker at the bridge can be a bit overpowering 

1 hour ago, Pirellithecat said:

Thanks Al ....
Had a High end SR - as you say fantastically fast neck etc, loved it in terms of playability etc, but needed a bit more of a Rock/Blues machine so traded it for a Fender Professional P.   Sounded great but I just didn't love the thing.  Tempted by the Yamaha's not really tried any of the higher end ones though - so I'll pop it on my list!! 
I had the Spector down as a modern-sounding device  - I'll see if I can find one to try. 

So thanks for the input 

No love for Stingrays?  Tried one very briefly recently and the "punch" was impressive!  

I'll have to fess I've not had a Stingray - I guess my Sandberg TM4 was the closest with its J/MM set up. A Spector is definitely an acquired taste and not everyone's cup of tea. Many BC'ers swear by them and @casapete has more than one for every week of the year!

I've always loved the sound but found it uncomfortable to wear, at least for my first 4 years of ownership - so much so I had it up for sale at a couple of points but fortunately only received "offers that I could refuse", haha. So glad that was the case, as another £100 and it would have been gone...A change of strap to a wider and slightly shortened Minataur strap and it all fell in place. It's the only bass in my herd that both turns my bandmates heads and gets nods of approval for its tone (maybe the two are subconsciously related, haha). 

I should probably add that both EMG pups give the option of single / dual coil, so you have 4 pup combinations to mix and match which gives a really good tonal palette range. I'm currently being somewhat partial to full-fat dual coil neck pup dialled back a touch, in combination with a maxed out single coil bridge pup.

Rig & PBmini - 21.02.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

The best bass in my opinion for a blues rock band would be an EBMM Stingray 4H or 5H.

I've got a 1993 5H that I use in a rock band and it cuts effortlessly through a loud mix.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

I didn’t love mine but I think it had the notorious weak G string and if I had my time again I wouldve gone for a 2band EQ. However, the new specials are much better than the old one I had. If money was no object I’d have a 30th anniversary 5 string.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

For a less mid-forward bass I’d look at a Jazz bass.

This.  My favourite being my Geddy Lee (or any other J with 70s pickup positions).

Thanks - a few I haven't tried suggested so far ..... just need to find somewhere that stocks them all (or at least a city that does)
So far versions I might be able to try/buy, are : 
Jazz Bass - I always considered these to be more "mid bass forward" so haven't tried on e for years - but everyday's a School Day so ...... 
Stingray,(might need to be a Sterling Ray34 though ???)
A Yamaha PJ .... 
Schecter
G&L L2000 
I'd like to try these so are there specific mid price examples to seek out? (Mid price = £1000 or preferably MUCH less!!)

I'm reluctant to mod the Sandberg as it's far too nice for me to mess with!!  

Edited by Pirellithecat

If you're looking at a Jazz then give Limelight a look (if you're OK with relics). They can essentially build you a custom shop J for a lot less money. I picked up a Limelight P last year and love it. 

Heading in the complete opposite direction...........if you're playing rock/blues rock then a Gibson SG is perfect. I love mine and it's one of the most fun basses I've ever played. It takes dirt wonderfully well for that extra bit of grunt n grime, it's body is thin and light weight, neck is easy to play and it looks the biz. If you can't do neck dive then it won't be for you - it's so light that I've never found it a hinderance. Plus, my left hand is pretty much always near the neck, so it doesn't go anywhere!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Heading in the complete opposite direction...........if you're playing rock/blues rock then a Gibson SG is perfect. I love mine and it's one of the most fun basses I've ever played. It takes dirt wonderfully well for that extra bit of grunt n grime, it's body is thin and light weight, neck is easy to play and it looks the biz. If you can't do neck dive then it won't be for you - it's so light that I've never found it a hinderance. Plus, my left hand is pretty much always near the neck, so it doesn't go anywhere!

I would second this.  I recently got one for my blues rock trio and it is absolutely spot on for the genre.  It can sing, growl or thud. 

16 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I would second this.  I recently got one for my blues rock trio and it is absolutely spot on for the genre.  It can sing, growl or thud. 

I'd like to third this. SG or EB3 sound fandabidozi.

On 18/01/2024 at 16:31, OliverBlackman said:

I didn’t love mine but I think it had the notorious weak G string and if I had my time again I wouldve gone for a 2band EQ. However, the new specials are much better than the old one I had. If money was no object I’d have a 30th anniversary 5 string.

30th Anniversary Ray - yum, yum. Certainly love mine. Here it is with a couple of mates.

IMG_2050.jpeg

• Like 3