Why become a member? ×

New purple Orange O bass.

jd56hawk

• jd56hawk changed the title to New purple Orange O bass.
36 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

most that have tried this bass find them overpriced neck heavy and offer nothing that many other cheaper PB pickup instruments offer cheaper better

Yeah, but... PURPLE.

• Like 1

I was at NAMM with @Silvia Bluejay when they launched these (in orange, not purple, natch) and I was dead keen to try one. They were $329 IIRC.

When I played one, frankly it was a bit 'meh'. It was a perfectly acceptable cheap Chinese bass, but it had no Wow factor at all.

If they're now $629 (just five years later) then I'd be inclined to wait for a pre-owned model to be listed for sale by a disappointed owner.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

This is starting to turn into one of those "are you paying attention?" type clicky quizzes - click on the colour, not the word type thing.

I actually like that "click on the color, not the word" exercise. I'll post it occasionally on Facebook.

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

most that have tried this bass find them overpriced neck heavy and offer nothing that many other cheaper PB pickup instruments offer cheaper better

Maybe, but neck dive is such an easily-solved solution I haven't considered it a problem since my first Thunderbird.

As for the price? I'd pay $600 for one before I'd pay $900 for one of those humdrum Fender Player Precisions. 

59 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

That's an awesome colour. That scratchplate looks like a home-made bodge, though. Not sure what they were thinking.

Plenty of unusual pickguards out there. I've always wondered why Fender went with this half-assed one. I really like the art deco Kay pickguard, though. 

PhotoCollage_1705579944360.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Plenty of unusual pickguards out there. I've always wondered why Fender went with this half-assed one. I really like the art deco Kay pickguard, though. 

PhotoCollage_1705579944360.jpg

I'd argue ('cos that's how I'm wired) there's nothing remotely unusual about a standard Tele-shaped plate - originally fitted to the world's first mass-produced electric guitar! I do quite like that Kay design though. I can be a bit weird about scratchplates - for example the standard Rickenbacker 4001/4003 shape looks like a slapped-on afterthought & is far less integrated & sympathetic to the design of the bass than the original 50s plate. I'd bet a quid Roger Rossmeisl had nowt to do with the redesign!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I'd argue ('cos that's how I'm wired) there's nothing remotely unusual about a standard Tele-shaped plate - originally fitted to the world's first mass-produced electric guitar! I do quite like that Kay design though. I can be a bit weird about scratchplates - for example the standard Rickenbacker 4001/4003 shape looks like a slapped-on afterthought & is far less integrated & sympathetic to the design of the bass than the original 50s plate. I'd bet a quid Roger Rossmeisl had nowt to do with the redesign!

I really like this one, but it looks like whoever designed the other one started to do it right but then came up blank when he tried to finish it, so he just decided to cut it short...that straight bottom just doesn't look right.

th.jpeg-610.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

I really like this one, but it looks like whoever designed the other one started to do it right but then came up blank when he tried to finish it, so he just decided to cut it short...that straight bottom just doesn't look right.

th.jpeg-610.jpg

I like that - it's a variation on the batwing design from the Thinline Tele. And what's weird is that the Thinline Tele was designed by Roger Rossmeisl after he left Rickenbacker!

• Like 3

I love the look of these, though I reckon a tort guard would work better.

What puts me off is 34" scale length. While most of my current basses are 34" the O Bass looks like it's going to have balance issues because of the small body/long neck combo.

Happy to be corrected if anyone with real world experience of one knows better.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I love the look of these, though I reckon a tort guard would work better.

What puts me off is 34" scale length. While most of my current basses are 34" the O Bass looks like it's going to have balance issues because of the small body/long neck combo.

Happy to be corrected if anyone with real world experience of one knows better.

It comes with a black scratchplate too. I think the white works well, tort on purple might be a bit much...

Screenshot_20240118-171433_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Certainly eye catching - and I'm known to buy gear on looks alone.

Seems its aimed at people like me.

I hear that.

I think the original one looked very cool.... this one is absolutely beautiful, love it. I know about all the reviews, cheap, nasty, uncomfortable..... but man it looks lovely.

• Like 2