Why become a member? ×

Favourite Brand

Lew-Bass

No comment...I've jumped from make to make like no bodies business...more so this year than ever!
I feel like a Poor Entwhistle...That being said then Warwick is my bag?
But so far I do like (but not favourite indefinite):

[b]Fender[/b] - P-bass for the win...May be a one trick pony but it's one trick is the best there is to offer. Like woody tone? Think P-bass LOL!

[b]Ibanez[/b] - LOVE my BTB's...shame tone doesn't do well in band.

[b]Yamaha[/b] - Trustworthy and you get ALOT for your money.

I guess favourite BrandS is more it lol!
Not ready for brand loyalty yet sorry...there's a world out there to try...and a limited wallet to do so!!! :)

[quote name='simon1964' post='485902' date='May 12 2009, 01:34 PM']Fender, so long as its a Precision! They may be a one trick pony, but they seem to fit in any mix.[/quote]

+1 on that one.
And may I add: "Have consistant tone from amp to amp". SOme basses sound COMPLETELY different though different amps...P-basses sound like a P-bass but either better or worse as the amp goes lol!

Edited by Kongo

If it's a mainstream brand then Warwick all the way. My 'Vette was under £600 new, an absolute bargain. Every inch a "proper" bass for not a lot of cash. Still one of the best necks i've ever played and looks the part as well as sounding fantastic

Edited by lemmywinks

Well, obviously top of the tree for me is Shuker. I've got one, built for me, it's lovely, etc etc.
Status basses are wonderful too.
As far as more 'off the peg' instruments are concerned, it's Yamaha for me. They turn out consistently high-quality basses, they're innovative without being wacky, they sound fabulous, and their value for money is simply amazing.

I've never played an Alembic or a Zon so can't comment on those but apart from that the best brand for me is Warmoth.

So many choices. i was able to get everything I wanted. My choice of woods, components etc. Made in the USA and all for second hand MIA Fender money.

When i get the cash together I would really like another Spector Euro 4. I owned one briefly but had a faulty truss rod and couldn't get another like it and ended up getting something else. I do remember that it was insanely good but that may be the rose tinted specs.

'Nother vote for Indie - my IB604 just feels right, and truthfully, there aren't many bass sounds I'd want to make that it won't do. I still get a little thrill each time I pick it up. :)

If it weren't for that, I'd say Fender. A Precision Bass must be a nearly perfect example of getting it right first time! And when it comes to the skinny-string department, I'd be completely lost without my Telecaster... (What was that I was saying about getting it right first time?)

Edited by PVTele

[quote name='PVTele' post='486688' date='May 13 2009, 10:11 AM']'Nother vote for Indie - my IB604 just feels right, and truthfully, there aren't many bass sounds I'd want to make that it won't do. I still get a little thrill each time I pick it up. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for that, I'd say Fender. A Precision Bass must be a nearly perfect example of getting it right first time! And when it comes to the skinny-string department, I'd be completely lost without my Telecaster... (What was that I was saying about getting it right first time?)[/quote]

great basses arnt they :) i was astonished when i first picked up my 606 in the shop. surprised you done see more of them

Yamaha and Ibanez.
Sure, I've got basses that are (supposedly) better, but I think as "brands" they've both done well to make quality instruments accessible at affordable prices, and they also make higher-end models for players to grow into. In these respects, at least, they are helping to drive bass playing / popular / live music along. That is no bad thing, and for that they should be applauded.

What only 1 person mentions Musicman???

Musicman for sure, I have a thing for anything musicman, havent picked up a bad one yet, love the tone, love the build quality (for a mass produced product) the forum is great. 'ray+Bongo+Stirlin+Sabre+25th Anniversary+er... which was the griphite necked one? either way, they dont have a bass past or new I wouldnt buy if the price was right. yes... even the new Big Al monstrosity!

Musicman.....they have their faults but nothing else sounds like a 'Ray. In the last 20 years I've only been without an MM for 18 months - it was too long.

Fender......loved Jazzes for years, currently like Precisions, why? because it does what it says on the tin.

Status.....especially the all graphite ones (I'd love a Stealth 2 or Streamline 5er). Brilliant all rounder, pull out a Streamline and see the grins/smirks at a jam night that turn to smiles when you plug it in.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='487273' date='May 13 2009, 09:01 PM']Status..... pull out a Streamline and see the grins/smirks at a jam night that turn to smiles when you plug it in.[/quote]

I get a similar thing with my Headless Status 2000.
I have only gigged it three times, but if one more more person comes up and tells me "The end is broken off"......

[quote name='Mr.T' post='487621' date='May 14 2009, 09:57 AM']I get a similar thing with my Headless Status 2000.
I have only gigged it three times, but if one more more person comes up and tells me "The end is broken off"......[/quote]

Never gets old does it :)

Edited by martthebass