Why become a member? ×

Standard pick or Triangle Pick

As a guitarist I played using the standard teardrop shaped pick 

On bass I find the need for the Triangle style due to the larger string resistance and less pick movement in my fingers 

Anyone else discovered this ?

I also play fingerstyle but the question is best pick shape when picking several songs in a set 

• Like 2

What is the best pick for metal? 

On a more serious note:

No!

I even tend to use the round corners of regular teardrop shaped picks.

As does Bobby Vega, who got to be the absolute master of pick playing on bass.

That said it is completely down to personal preferences, as is pick material and gauge.

If there really was only one ultimate pick for bass and one ultimate pick for guitar, regardless of individual/personal physics, preferences, style, pickups, string choice, amp, cab, and song, everyone would be playing just that, and it would be the only 2 different picks on the market.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Anyone else discovered this ?

I also play fingerstyle but the question is best pick shape when picking several songs in a set 

I haven't, no...but the best pick is the one you feel comfortable with.

If the larger ones give you a secure grip then go for it. I've always used smaller 'guitar' ones, but it's horses for courses.

• Like 3

Always used Tortex Trangle in 1.0 flavour on the bass.  I've got big hands, so that and the need to get those big strings moving make them ideal for me.  Our rhythm guitarist is a big lad and I gave a couple to him and now he's switched to them as well, although he uses the lighter weight ones in Yellow.

• Like 1

I've kinda found the same, back when I used to play a lot of guitar I preferred the Jazz III size/style picks, but on bass I prefer standard size (Tortex 1.14mm specifically). I can use either for either quite happily, but I do like having a bit more to grab onto for bass. I can't get on with the big equilateral triangle size ones though, they feel really awkward in my hands! 😅

• Like 1

When I first started playing I went to the local guitar shop and bought a load of picks in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours as that's what my "Teach Yourself Bass" book told me to do 😄 

The "standard" shape is the only one that felt good and I've stuck with them ever since.

I currently use these Hercos, they're a bit lighter than expected for use with a bass but I like a bit of give. A much more expressive sound for me.

81Rk-rmNRSL.jpg

• Like 1

I got into large triangle picks because they're popular with mandolin players, but found I preferred that shape for everything. With the larger surface area I find I can use a more relaxed grip, and having three interchangeable corners reduces fiddling about when changing between fingers and pick. I don't use the same gauge and type across everything though - I like the 0.88mm Ultex triangles on bass guitar and thicker Wegen and Hawk triangle picks on acoustic guitar and mandolin family instruments.

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I just use a little metal bar to play my triangle, not a pick.

Many little metal bars only have a stage big enough for you to play your triangle.

• Haha 3

I switched to Dava picks on skinny stringers a few years ago, which are really grippy and generally do a great job.

However since I got the Bass VI a while back, which I only play with a pick, I've discovered the Dava's are too fragile for banging out chords and are prone to snapping, so it's been a return to purple tortex dunlops, which are much more robust.

8 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

When I first started playing I went to the local guitar shop and bought a load of picks in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours as that's what my "Teach Yourself Bass" book told me to do 😄 

The "standard" shape is the only one that felt good and I've stuck with them ever since.

I currently use these Hercos, they're a bit lighter than expected for use with a bass but I like a bit of give. A much more expressive sound for me.

81Rk-rmNRSL.jpg

I use the gold Herco for mandocello, once I tried them I've not used anything else.

• Like 1

I mostly use my fingers nowadays, all sort of finger picking techniques combined, regular traditional 1, 2 and 3 finger plucking technique, depending, classical acoustic guitar style finger picking technique, flamenco guitar style middle and/or index finger flicking technique, as well as double thumbing. 

When I do use a pick it is either a Dunlop Tortex .60mm (for an aggressive snappy attack), one of the round corners of a Dunlop Tortex .50mm (for a more clicky attack) or a Dunlop Max Grip Nylon .60mm (for a somewhat softer snappy attack), but my most favorite pick is a Wedgie Soft 3.1mm rubber pick (for a softer pick attack, somewhere between pick and finger plucking), sometimes it even happens that I use a Wedgie Soft 5mm rubber pick (for an even softer warmer subdued attack).

On occasions I also use a ceramic slide, and sometimes a rubber covered plastic stick for a hammered dulcimer effect.

All depending on the musical context.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash