Why become a member? ×

Would you send a new bass back that had this damage?

markbunney

NBD today for something I’d been looking at for over 3 years, but for various reasons wasn’t able to get.

This was an Ibanez SR1600B in Caribbean Shoreline finish.

It arrived today and had a scratch on the fretboard and a ding in the back of the neck.

The shop said they were just minor imperfections, which I guess they are, but after spending £1100 on something I expect it to be perfect, so they agreed to take it back as faulty.

Just wondering if I was being overly picky, or right to expect a new instrument to arrive in perfect condition.

8F8A8664-7FA2-4E62-A488-BBD02C26CE13.thumb.jpeg.5688f9e175cee8d0d5c4f612f4bf6a97.jpegC564E093-CB28-40B8-8611-DDE0F05C622B.thumb.jpeg.c197cce08177bf2f21af078ca3f51feb.jpeg

You have absolutely every right to send it back yep...

Would have sent it back..... probably not from what I see in the pictures. If it was a sizeable scratch in the finish I would, or a sizeable ding, but from what I see there, I'd have probably ignored it. You're right though,  it should be perfect from new.

• Like 2

Yeah, the neck would annoy me if I could feel the ding. The fretboard scuff probably wouldn't worry me as much, but as a very general rule, if my immediate reaction was disappointment I'd put it straight back in the box and try again.

I actually had similar issues with an SR1825 around this time a couple of years ago. It was supposedly 'brand new in box' but had a chunk out of the neck, dings in the body and even a piece of veneer snapped off. That went back, no discussion.

IB1825-1.png.f690140513a4c932a0c1a9a4f0792647.png

IB1825-3.png.277db9d41d54142b188266df5e723808.png

IB1825-4.png.664e8c68e5349ddaa4436ab307d41fec.png

• Like 2

That's pretty poor for a brand-new £1100 bass & to suggest 'minor imperfections' (that look a lot like damage to me) are somehow to be expected is taking the p!ss.

I recently bought a cheapo (£140) guitar from cheapo guitar purveyors Gear4Music, which arrived with the box looking like it'd been kicked here rather than driven in a van. The guitar had survived pretty well but had a bash on the bottom end of the body & minor lacquer cracks around the neck pocket & end of the headstock. They straight away offered me an exchange, or a £30 discount - which I was happy to accept as it's minor cosmetic damage & I bought the guitar to mod & mess with anyway.

I might be willing to acept similar 'minor imperfections' on a high-end bass if they knocked, say, £100 off the price.

• Like 2

I think I'd be happier long term if I sent it back. There are presumably others without the flaws and it doesn't feel like a good start. And it isn't what you have the right to expect buying a new instrument.

A few years ago I bought a guitar from abroad with some flaws and I wish I sent it back. I didn't because it was fixable. I had the intention to sell it and still keep meaning to do so but the flaws are now in a way keeping me off it as any explanation I'd give an eventual buyer raises the question "why didn't I send it back?". Maybe I'm strangely wired but it bugs me a bit still and I rarely play it because I actually do regret keeping it. The pickups are great though😶

edit: If you decide to keep it I'd do what Paul above suggests; a partial refund as eventual resale value could be lower than expected. I'd be a bit greedier than I'd usually be comfortable with and go with it if it felt like a good purchase and a potential future sale was not a potential problem. 

Edited by HornetPinata
+

This is exactly why shops offer warranties that say "if you're not completely satisfied". I'd be talking to the retailer about an exchange or repair myself. If the box wasn't damaged then this has come from the factory in that condition, so somebody's QC process has fallen down.

• Like 1

They offered me a £30 gift card or a return, so I opted for the return.

They said that as it had £400 off it already there was nothing else they could do. I think this was £400 off the list price though, as i had bought it at the advertised online price which was £1,099.

it had been delivered directly from the distributor and it looked like some of the Ibanez tape on the box had already been opened and resealed whether this was for a final QC inspection or a return I don’t know.

It’s being collected next week for a refund.  

thanks all for the replies, it’s interesting to see other people’s perspectives on the issue. It would have been the most expensive bass I had ever bought, and I needed to be 100% happy with it.

I have noticed that QC across all consumer goods is terrible these days.

The amount of things (not just bass related) that I have to return due to poor manufacturing or damage on delivery  is terrible.

• Like 5

Personally it wouldn’t bother me as long as it was just cosmetic and didn’t affect playability.

I’ve had new basses where some paint has chipped off during transit and not sent them back. I did ask for some money off though, which I got.

But that’s just me because I’m not really bothered by things like that. But I also understand that most people would expect a brand new item to be perfect and would ask for a replacement if there were any issues at all. 

• Like 1

On the other hand, when I'm looking for something in particular on Amazon, for example, I'll usually look to see if the item I require is available 'occasion' (second-hand...). These are usually returned goods, sent back for whatever reason, most often slightly damaged packaging or a small mark somewhere. The items are guaranteed in the same way as 'new', and I've yet to be dissatisfied with what I receive. My Tascam audio interface, air fryer, electric kettle, model boats, too many books to mention and more  have all been as good as new, to me, and the torn or discoloured boxing went on the fire just the same as new would have done. It helps, maybe that I don't seem to suffer from ODC or the like. Just sayin'. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

You've paid for a "perfect " example so that's what you should get.

I'd be reluctant to go through the rigmarole of returning it TBH so would negotiate with the seller - but a £30 voucher isn't negotiating in my mind - the cost of the courier is half that, somebody's time to arrange for collection, etc and they're almost even. 

Refund may be the way to go if they don't want to be customer focused. 

• Like 1

It's all about expectation. If you're expecting an immaculate instrument then it's disappointing not to receive one. 

The only worry I'd have is resale value, would the marks be acceptable wear and tear if I wanted to sell it after a few months because its not exactly what I wanted? Buying it online you're buying blind and untried. 

I had a ding in the neck of my bass from new, I didn't notice it while playing it in the shop. It was quite distracting when playing. But took the edges off with some very fine sandpaper and it was OK. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

From the photo, the scratch looks like some grain with some filler in it, unsightly, but not a deal breaker. Dinged neck though - that’s a no no, even if it is a potentially easy fix. Shame, given you’d been looking for one for quite a while.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

They offered me a £30 gift card or a return, so I opted for the return.

that's what I would do, I bought a mandocello mail order a couple of years ago. There was a 10 week back order but suddenly one was available. It didn't feel right when it arrived though the only thing I could see was a couple of dead strings. I needed it for a gig and didn't want the hassle of a return to an overseas company. A few months later my guitar technician reported the neck was cracked. My guess is it was a return passed off as new. 

• Like 1