Why become a member? ×

"Wham"....No1

diskwave

27 minutes ago, zrbass said:

What does it all mean? In my old school world its a superbly written iconic pop tune but is that the reason it's there or is something else going on...Surely kids today want something from there own scene making the top for xmas...Wheres Ed Sheeran, Adele, et al?

Wasn’t it last Christmas? 

• Haha 2

Assuming that this is based on streams, folk asking the service of their choice to play Christmas tunes, doesn’t count as a conscious decision to play that particular song. It’s a nonsense, unless you buy it, it doesn’t count IMO.

• Like 1

Thank f,?! it wasn't that awful Fairytale song that everyone seemed to think should have been. 

Sam Ryder has written a fantastic Christmas anthem that sounds exactly the same as any other Christmas anthem. So there is new music coming through. 

Edited by TimR

On 22/12/2023 at 20:29, Raslee said:

Modern day Tik Tok Whamageddon phenomenon….whatever that all means 🤓

Pretty sure this is what did. Been going for a few years now, but bigger than ever this year. Coupled with the fact it had never made the number one spot before.

14 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I couldn’t move fast enough to stop Gary Glitter’s “Rock N Roll Christmas” piping up from the Christmas tunes CD I put on this morning. Not having that on thanks. 

Why? It's still a great song, and definitely one of the better Christmas songs. And as Glitter sold the rights in 1997 he doesn't earn any money from it. 

• Sad 1

The charts are pure mockery now.

They want a chart based on streams rather than purchases, however ....

Apparently that doesn't work as many 'older' songs would be permanently in the charts, so .... 

They don't count all the streams of older songs, but ....

They also cheat if they feel like it, eg. Kate Bush running up that hill they 'decided' to count all streams and push it to number 1. Well, that's fair then ...

Maybe they do the same at Xmas with Xmas songs?

The whole thing is garbage as far as I am concerned. 

Still, what do I care, I haven't followed the top 40 for a great many years. Apparently 'Ladbaby' had the number one for the past 5 years. I've only ever heard their first. 

Edited by Angel
  • Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 18:23, zrbass said:

What does it all mean? In my old school world its a superbly written iconic pop tune but is that the reason it's there or is something else going on...Surely kids today want something from there own scene making the top for xmas...Wheres Ed Sheeran, Adele, et al?

But you told the kids that music today is rubbish, listen to the old stuff, that's better. 

2 hours ago, Angel said:

The charts are pure mockery now.

They want a chart based on streams rather than purchases, however ....

Apparently that doesn't work as many 'older' songs would be permanently in the charts, so .... 

They don't count all the streams of older songs, but ....

They also cheat if they feel like it, eg. Kaye Bush running up that hill they 'decided' to count all streams and push it to number 1. Well, that's fair then ...

Maybe they do the same at Xmas with Xmas songs?

The whole thing is garbage as far as I am concerned. 

Still, what do I care, I haven't followed the top 40 for a great many years. Apparently 'Ladbaby' had the number one for the past 5 years. I've only ever heard their first. 

You haven't missed anything, don't worry.

Do the charts actually mean anything anymore?