Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2023?

Al Krow

On 13/12/2023 at 19:38, SteveXFR said:

Best by miles is my Ashdown ABM600 head. An enormous upgrade from my old Orange Terror. I'm still working out settings but already sounding great. 

The Ibanez SRMS805 is very good but the pickups and preamp are a bit weak. It plays great though and was a bargain, like new for half the price of a new one.

20231126_154815

I play through one of these at a loose jam I go to regularly, it's like the house amp, and I just can't get a decent sound out of the thing. It's just always muddy and scoopy and disappears in the mix. Is there some kind of knack to it I'm missing? I always try pushing the mids, but they don't sound pleasing at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I play through one of these at a loose jam I go to regularly, it's like the house amp, and I just can't get a decent sound out of the thing. It's just always muddy and scoopy and disappears in the mix. Is there some kind of knack to it I'm missing? I always try pushing the mids, but they don't sound pleasing at all.

Try the shape button, it makes a huge difference to the mids.

Is it an ABM600? The older ABM500 and other earlier models are quite different. 

• Like 1

I've only tried the older models and found the same thing with the woolly tone but wasn't aware the button was different from other amps. I also didn't have enough time to fiddle about with it. 

Lot of great players use them and have a fantastic tone. I considered the new version 600 before buying the Handbox WB-100 but its wider than my cabs and that put  me off.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I didn't try, Lozz - I didn't have a lot of empty house time at my disposal.  I seem to remember an online review saying it stayed the same but that might be a false memory.  Seem to get a lot of those these days!  :D  Anyway, I'll give it some wellie when Mrs S is next at work, which will be Saturday.

I just watched a very good review of this by our very own @Dood, and yes fortunately adding drive or blend doesn’t add volume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Make sure the subharmonic muddifier is not engaged.

• Like 2

I already shared my best purchase. How about a couple of 'honorable mentions':

Harley Benton Marquess-5 Blue Stain (B-Stock but immaculate) - for the price it's an insane thing to have, yes I've gigged it. Shame it doesn't fit the blues band image but looking forward to playing Gasoline on it with the other bunch :-)

Two 5m leads, Sommer cable, Neutrik connectors (90 degree switched at one end). Worth it for peace of mind.

Lekato (or similar) rechargeable clip tuners, just so good - bright, fast and huge display.

And not really a purchase but a Christmas prezzy:

https://blackstaramps.com/amplug-2-fly/

It's really good, and now I can practice after 10pm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Try the shape button, it makes a huge difference to the mids.

Is it an ABM600? The older ABM500 and other earlier models are quite different. 

Not sure now that you mention it, I'll have a look next time I'm there.

Also will check the shape switch position and make sure the subharmonics thingy isn't turned up next time I'm playing through it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

If it's an ABM600 push the shape button in (to turn it off weirdly!), turn the compressor off, don't use the sub octave thingy. Then eq it with your ears and not your eyes. You can seriously whack up some of the frequencies to get the sound going. They're amazingly flexible amps in my opinion - one of the few I would have back in a heartbeat.

If it's an ABM500 throw it in the bin......

• Haha 2

Best is a MusicMan Stingray 5. I haven't had a 5 string for years (and the last one was a relatively cheap Washburn 2502) and joined a couple of bands this year that were playing songs that benefited from the lower notes.

IMG_20230413_113302.thumb.jpg.edbb7e7a2c0fa45fe601f4fd9f613968.jpg

Worst was a Sandberg California TM5 purchased from a bass retailer online and within minutes of it being delivered, I initiated a return. I was after something a bit lighter than the Stingray and saw the Sandberg advertised online with a weight of 7lb 10oz. When it arrived though, I unpacked it and was shocked at how heavy it was. It was heavier than the Stingray! It transpires that there had been an error and it should have been advertised at 10lb 7oz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Best was without doubt my Sire P8 5 string with natural finish ash body and a roasted maple neck: Everything I have always wanted in a P5: sounds fabulous, 9lbs, perfect balance, and looks beautiful.

Worst was probably the EHB 6 string.  A lovely bass, but I just need to accept that six strings is one too many for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franzbassist said:

Best was without doubt my Sire P8 5 string with natural finish ash body and a roasted maple neck: Everything I have always wanted in a P5: sounds fabulous, 9lbs, perfect balance, and looks beautiful.

Worst was probably the EHB 6 string.  A lovely bass, but I just need to accept that six strings is one too many for me!

Oooh pics please! 

Very tempted to get another active PJ 5er  at some point and I could never quite bond with my Yamaha BB735A. 

Guess I need to check out what the key differences between the Sire P5, P8 and P10 models are - have to fess I was totally unaware of the 8 series! 

• Like 1

Best two purchases for me, my GK Fusion 550 and my Spector Euro 4 LX. Both have been on my bucket list for a long time. Glad to finally tick them off. Also honourable mention for the NUX mighty plug pro, fantastic little gadget for rehearsing at home. Worst purchase has to go to some DR Hi beam strings. Purchased two packs and on both sets, the E string was totally dead after one rehearsal and one gig. I did contact DR to make them aware, and they said they send me a couple of 105 E strings, but nothing came of it. Maybe I’ll chase them up about that 

IMG_1954.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Best two purchases for me, my GK Fusion 550 and my Spector Euro 4 LX. Both have been on my bucket list for a long time. Glad to finally tick them off. Also honourable mention for the NUX mighty plug pro, fantastic little gadget for rehearsing at home. Worst purchase has to go to some DR Hi beam strings. Purchased two packs and on both sets, the E string was totally dead after one rehearsal and one gig. I did contact DR to make them aware, and they said they send me a couple of 105 E strings, but nothing came of it. Maybe I’ll chase them up about that 

IMG_1954.jpeg

I would LOVE to hear that! Spector and Gallien Krueger are made for each other. Sadly after going through about 10 of them over the years I've realised that I really don't get on with the Spector Euro necks. Still one of my favourite sounding basses though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Best of 2023:

• Jad Freer Capo - Just an incredible  versatile preamp.
  • EAE Halberd - Built for guitar but works great on bass, fairly transparent but you can really push it hard into think chewy fuzz territory.
  • Handbox WB100 - Didn’t think anything would dethrone the 40kg VBA400 but this did a great job and only weighs about 15kg.
  • Yamaha BB734 - Traded for it with the intention of modding it with Wal style pickups and onboard preamp but absolutely love the sound so it’s staying as is!

Notable mentions:

• EAE Dagger v2 - Great little distortion but didn’t stand out as much as the Halberd to my surprise.
  • Schecter J4 - Great bass, fun to play and sounded great, the BB734 is just a little better for the sounds I’m after. 
  • MOD Dwarf - Not the easiest to get to grips with but so interesting and capable of so much. 

No bad purchases, the Lusithand GnP wasn’t for me but it’s a great pedal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I would LOVE to hear that! Spector and Gallien Krueger are made for each other. Sadly after going through about 10 of them over the years I've realised that I really don't get on with the Spector Euro necks. Still one of my favourite sounding basses though.

I can confirm that it’s a wonderful combination! 

• Like 2