Why become a member? ×

You have to spend £300 on effects pedals for tonight's gig…

max_overdrive

I used to play most of my gigs without effects . When I got more confident ( and the songs required effects) I used a Zoom B2 1u 

All good for a time , until the unit decided what sounds should be played , and not what I selected. A tad embarrassing .

In answer to the question , a Digitech Bass Synth Wah  would be my choice . That should also leave enough change to get pleasantly sozzled ..

• Like 3

A Zoom B9.1ut. They tend to go for £200 second-hand. I had one for a couple of years and I loved it, only switching to a Zoom B3 as it had a smaller footprint. You've then got £100 to spend on a round of stiff drinks (to calm your tattered nerves) and a chippy tea on the way home.

s-l500.jpg.e6c7c4d89d28b676e64f7b334b0a0e18.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

HoTone MP-80 Ampero One - 219£ (digital multi effect with IR loader and up to 9 effects simultaneously)    

image.thumb.png.10472678ced594fa15e1d53e20402d95.png

Electro Harmonix Nano Overlord Overdrive  - 79£ (extremely versatile OD/Dist, with clean blend)

image.png.e0bc37d0526bca7e14aff92242a0cd18.png

Alternatively:

For amp and cab emulation/simulation + DI = NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI

Boss LS-2 for mixing a Zoom B1on and a Zoom G1on in parallel with each other or one of them with clean signal and bypass on/off switching.

• Like 2

was watching a band a few weeks ago, the bass player had about 8 pedals in front of him, his sound was not good, just the occasional low end thump, about half way through the second half one of his leads packs up, he quickly went straight into his amp, bingo, the bass was suddenly cutting though the mix beautifully.

Now, I'd had a few beers so at the end of the gig I went and told him, he looked at me like something you'd scrap of the bottom of your shoe.

On that basis, I'd take Ace of Spades out of the set and plug straight into the amp and save £300 for something that the band really needed  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'd get a Boss BC-1X Bass Comp and a Boss BB-1X Bass Driver — which are coincidentally the latest additions to my pedalboard.

Fair play.. that’s my little DIY rehearsal board! You could absolutely play a gig with them.

rehearsal_board_23.thumb.jpg.69efdcfd619b5fc2317df4b127e19b57.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'd get a Boss BC-1X Bass Comp and a Boss BB-1X Bass Driver — which are coincidentally the latest additions to my pedalboard.

This, but without the driver.

The rest can go on calming measures for me and the drummer 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Really depends on the setlist - if it was disco/funk stuff then I'd plump for an octave and envelope filter, if it was a rock/metal set then I'd plump for an octave and envelope filter ;)

@paul_5 has it exactly right here I think. If you were near Gear4Music with £300 and the need fo’ impress with some swift effects purchases, you’d get the EBS Octabass and MXR Bass Envelope Filter for £335.21 which is near enough. Mmmm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

was watching a band a few weeks ago, the bass player had about 8 pedals in front of him, his sound was not good, just the occasional low end thump, about half way through the second half one of his leads packs up, he quickly went straight into his amp, bingo, the bass was suddenly cutting though the mix beautifully.

Now, I'd had a few beers so at the end of the gig I went and told him, he looked at me like something you'd scrap of the bottom of your shoe.

On that basis, I'd take Ace of Spades out of the set and plug straight into the amp and save £300 for something that the band really needed  

Don't you think the issue was that lead all along and not the fact that he had 8 pedals, and don't you think he knew perfectly well?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Don't you think the issue was that lead all along and not the fact that he had 8 pedals, and don't you think he knew perfectly well?

no, because I've seen the band before and was less than impressed with the bass sound, I tend to think it's the classic, "the bass sounds great on my own so it must be good with the band", he's probably sucking all the mids out with his pedals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

no, because I've seen the band before and was less than impressed with the bass sound, I tend to think it's the classic, "the bass sounds great on my own so it must be good with the band", he's probably sucking all the mids out with his pedals

So it was how he used the pedals and not the fact that he used pedals that did it...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

So it was how he used the pedals and not the fact that he used pedals that did it...

yes, I'm nothing against pedals, I use a zoom B1on myself, all the time, mostly to give me a bit of overdrive, subtle though, I've left it in tuner mode several times and not noticed 🤣 I guess the point I was trying to make is that for 90% of bassists for 90% of the time it's perfectly possible to get by without any pedals, and not used properly can mess up your sound.

Unlike guitarists , pedals don't make a huge difference to a bassist's sound (exceptions do apply), I see bass players at gigs stomping on various pedals, can't notice any difference most of the time

When I've been trying something different, a different bass or setting on my pedal I ask my partner if it sounded ok her reply? "it's a bass none noticed"😂

• Like 1

Darkglass B7K Ultra. Done. I have the regular single-pedal B7K currently, and it's all I use really. I play in a melodic doom metal band with a fairly modern sound, so none of the sludge and oldschool doom tones but a supertight graphite-necked Status S2 Classic through an Ampeg tube preamp. A modern sounding drive pedal with a good EQ is all I need. 

• Like 1

If I arrive at an important gig but forget to pack an essential bit of gear, I am more likely to be fired than I am likely to be given £300 to go shopping for new gear. Thus I struggle to relate to the essential point of the scenario, but I think I have it figured out:

(a) If I have my bass, amp, leads and a sound engineer who can run a decent DI then I'm generally good to go;

(b) If I arrive at an important gig and forget to pack my amp and cabs, I would  make do just running a DI from my pedalboard; 

(c) If I arrive at an important gig and forget my amp, cab or pedals I would just run a DI straight from the bass and hope that there is a fold back monitor; or

(d) If I I arrive at an important gig without my bass, my amp, my cabinet or my pedals then I probably wouldn't play the gig on account that this scenario would probably only occur if I am concussed or mentally impaired to the point I should be taken to hospital. If I am somehow not mentally impaired or already fired I would buy the cheapest bass I could find that sort of looks like a Fender and then play the gig under option (c) above.

• Like 1