Why become a member? ×

One time GDPR pop up will be appearing from Wedneday.

Kiwi

Hi everyone, 

We've had a Q&A sub forum with Ezoic up for a week now with only one question so on the assumption that this means no major concerns, I'm going to restart the ad trial for lurkers.  But from Wednesday onwards you'll notice a pop up from Ezoic appearing even though you aren't seeing ads.  Please don't be alarmed - it's a one-time thing for every browser and it's about compliance with the GDPR, not about seeking permissions by stealth.  Jack @dewww has assured me that Ezoic don't mine data and sell it off to third parties on the sly.

If you still have lingering doubts then, as I've mentioned previously in this thread, an Ad blocker will provide the best peace of mind for you if one isn't already installed in your browser.  Feel free to drop me a message if you aren't sure how to install one and I'll try to help.  The process will depend on which browser you have.

• Like 1

Thanks for the 'heads up'; I'll be watching to see if there's any odd cookies popping up. All will depend on the way that cookies, if any, are presented, as 'essentiel for site to work properly' or 'optional, for legitimate use'. If the latter, it's a 'no go' for me without an opt-out. We'll see. :rWNVV2D:

Douglas

Hi bassers - it appears that I was the only one to ask questions to jack from Ezoic - which he answered 

I would be very interested to hear what  Dad 3353 can see over in France when the ads are switched on 

again on Wednesday  - lived over there for 9 years myself - but mainly to see if there is a difference to what 

we see here in UK with this common market departure , rules and regs seem to be a bit up in the air at present

ADDITIONAL - I got rid of it with uBlock Origin (right click on the orange blob, choose "Block Element", accept the settings that pop up (they work) and boom, it's gone.  That's Chrome on the desktop, ymmv in other browsers/platforms.  It would be better if we didn't have to get rid of it ourselves...

Some of the settings are disconcerting, especially the special features. I understand there is a cost to running the servers and all the good work that goes in to the site. This has just nudged me into paying my subscription again! But are all those privacy settings really required?

It's all well and good to have an assurance that this information isn't being used, but as someone who is very careful with their privacy (out of cussedness as much as anything else) I feel uncomfortable with having my devices profiled etc. (Yes I have denied that permission, run uBlock Origin etc etc.)

Who are the following, what do they do, and why can't we decline their cookies?

Skimbit Ltd

Confiant Inc.

Visarity Technologies GmbH

DoubleVerify Inc.

Adssets AB

Mirando GmbH & Co KG

Integral Ad Science, Inc.

Polar Mobile Group Inc.

Telecoming S.A.

Seenthis AB

HUMAN

Papirfly AS

NEXD

CHEQ AI TECHNOLOGIES

Adjust Digital A/S

Adnami Aps

Adsolutions BV

VRTCAL Markets Inc

Kiosked Ltd

Protected Media LTD

Oracle Data Cloud - Moat

Wagawin GmbH

Bannernow, Inc.

Jetpack Digital LLC

Acxiom

GeoEdge

Ensighten

IVO Media Ltd

GeoProve Limited

Redbranch, Inc dba Fraudlogix

Sirdata Cookieless

Silverbullet Data Services Group

Terminus Software Inc.

Stream Eye OOD

adbalancer Werbeagentur GmbH

PML Innovative Media

SmartFrame Technologies Ltd

Vyde Ltd.

Somplo Ltd

Sqreem Technologies Private Limited

TMT Digital Inc

dpa-infocom GmbH

Brandhouse/Subsero A/S

Convo Ink

xpln.ai SAS

AdInMo LTD

streaMonkey GmbH

Alkimi

Frii ApS

Zeit Agency ApS

Sitewit, Corp

AccountInsight Ltd

Aderize, Inc.

fraud0 GmbH

Viomba Oy

Channel99, Inc.

Videobot Ltd

Appstock LTD.

Dando online LTD

EMBRACE Systems GmbH

Zuuvi ApS

Some of the organisation names are a little disconcerting to say the least...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just encountered the pop up and thought I would use the manage the cookies option. The options and language used is either intentionally designed to confuse,  not describe or is just amateurish.  Given two choices: legitimate interest or consent. Both imply consent, no choice and no description of what is being consented too. Not a happy bunny on this development.

• Like 2

It's all purposefully obfuscatory language which is an attempt to confuse people into simply accepting. That behaviour is not something that the Basschat majority conform to so shouldn't be subjected to.

'This vendor stores cookies for up to 31536000 seconds'. They can also refresh that expiration once you've 'accepted' so that 1 year initial storage time is essentially moot. 

@Kiwi - Ezoics clearly are not a company who's morale compass points in the same direction at Basschat. There must be a better way?

What do our yearly subscriptions need to be in order for Basschat to not need to partner with the devil?

Screenshot_20230927_105305_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.be45d0848197bf8e4e4acc60775e4c49.jpg

• Like 6

I'm in France, with a VPN running from a UK IP address. The message came up in English, and all options pre-ticked to acceptance, with no option to refuse all but 'essentials'. This, to me, is unacceptable, and does not ispire confidence in the motives of this outfit. During the initial Test phase, I laboriously went through all of it and 'un-ticked' it all. I am not willing to do this again.

Whilst this remains, I shall not be participating in Basschat; I'll be back when it's gone, or not at all, whichever comes the sooner. Meanwhile, my avatar and signature will be changed to ...

kKt36pb.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, 3below said:

Just encountered the pop up and thought I would use the manage the cookies option. The options and language used is either intentionally designed to confuse,  not describe or is just amateurish.  Given two choices: legitimate interest or consent. Both imply consent, no choice and no description of what is being consented too. Not a happy bunny on this development.

Totally agree with the above - looking at the consent form there is really no choice. The form and language is designed to confuse, the orange flag won’t go away when you’ve attempted to have as much privacy as possible.
Can there simply be a way to say - no cookies or nosing in on my data please or is it merely a pretence of choice? Or is the choice to Basschat or not to Basschat? Now that is the question. 

• Like 1

If you're using firefox you can turn on Strict Tracking Protection which should block these.

It's a sad fact of modern life that the commercial model for much of the internet is this data farming. Installing an adblocker like uBlock origin and disabling tracking is a must for me.

52 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I laboriously went through all of it and 'un-ticked' it all. I am not willing to do this again.

I did this and noticed that some of the “consent” boxes were pre-selected and greyed out so it’s impossible to withdraw your consent.

Irrespective of the unfortunate UK position regarding GDPR, there are many users still within the jurisdiction of that regulation. The last time I had anything to do with that in my work, I’m pretty sure that consent has to be explicitly given and it’s not appropriate to pre-select the option, let alone deprive the user from deselecting it.

As a supporting member it’s not entirely clear if I’m immune to any of this nonsense but regardless, the crass and apparently unlawful way this business partner operates gives me great concern. 

• Like 4

As someone who does ethics and data protection review for research projects as part of my day job, the interface design here is stunningly bad. In order to not consent to tracking, you have to individually click on dozens of tiny checkboxes - realistically, nobody is going to do that, so this is not meaningful consent. You need to ask a clear yes/no question, not attempt to force users into agreeing with what you want. (And, realistically, I think it's very unlikely that you can actually meet UK/EU data protection requirements if you are "sharing" data with that many "partners" - there is no way to do meaningful review.)

• Like 6

I found the pop up massively unclear and misleading. The + or - sign and then a box for a consent tick. What happens if you leave the box unticked, but the plus sign remains? Conversely, what if the box is ticked, but you leave a minus sign? It should not be this opaque and smacks of prevarication.

• Like 2