Why become a member? ×

Cookies

Silvia Bluejay

Question

I get this message when I log on:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.

Well, I don't want that to happen. I don't want this website to share any information about my use of this site with your partners. But I'm only offered a button called "Got it!", so I can't deny permission. I'm not sure this is legal in the UK?

• Like 17

It appears that the agreement between Basschat and the third party whose name escapes me is in hold pending discussions. 

A lot of people aren’t happy about having their data passed to 3rd parties and lack of an easy way to

opt out. 

rob

Just visited the site this morning and was presented with a new cookie consent box. I selected “manage settings” with the intention of not consenting to any advertising data sharing and instead of a simple “Do not consent” option, there is a huge list of third parties where you have to manually deselect the option. It’s practically impossible to go through all of this and I noticed that some of the “consent” boxes were pres-selected but greyed out so you can’t opt out. 

This is not good and I’ll have to review my participation with the site in light of this. 

• Like 2

The new cookie banner is one of the most complex I've seen in recent times, stuck at the bottom of the page and the orange and black colouring is quite off putting. Just looking at a few of those vendors who are setting cookies as well as using 'other means' to track your device is alarming. Of the random vendors I checked who have a link to their own site, most are quite open about stating any data they collect will more than likely be shared overseas to other interested parties whoever they may be and to countries with different data laws.  Saying something is legitimate interest is such a grey area. It could be legitimate in that without being able to collect data they couldn't run their businesses. I think what is most annoying to me is you must choose a cookie option to either login or lurk so logged in users are treated no differently from lurkers in that respect and the greyed out options will be set in your browser even if you dont consent to the rest. I think the banner needs some fine tuning. A simple 'reject all' button would perhaps improve matters. Even the cookie setters have reject all buttons on their sites eg this is one from Skimlinks

Screenshot2023-09-27at12_25_26.png.48cc487952c8b9ae167a1fdfd75f2ec0.png

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 01:03, choob.squeemer said:

Well I went and asked some absolutely basic questions on that new sub forum set up by kiwi 

just to get it started cos - jack(Ezoic) seems to have said there is a week of his time to answer questions 

So if anyone else has some more advanced questions to ask him - you only have a few days left it seems

Where is this forum here? I looked and failed to find it so I'm assuming I'm useless (good default setting according to the CFO)

I for one welcome our Ezoic Overlords.

TBH, I've really given up worrying about this sort of thing. The only problem here is an above-normal level of transparency. I bet many of the folks up in arms put up with far worse from Facebook, Google, Amazon etc. because they don't realise how much they are being cookied.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I bet many of the folks up in arms put up with far worse from Facebook, Google, Amazon etc. because they don't realise how much they are being cookied.

Firefox has a facebook container option, which opens facebook in its own sandbox so it can't get to anything else.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

. . . . . I bet many of the folks up in arms put up with far worse from Facebook, Google, Amazon etc. because they don't realise how much they are being cookied.

If I understand it correctly regular running of Ccleaner will delete all cookies.

There is also a Firefox option to delete cookies at the end of the session.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Firefox has a facebook container option, which opens facebook in its own sandbox so it can't get to anything else.

35 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If I understand it correctly regular running of Ccleaner will delete all cookies.

There is also a Firefox option to delete cookies at the end of the session.

Nice to see that some people think the same way. I don't have Facebook at all because of their tendency to rape and pillage your private data. I have similar ideas to @Woodinblack and @chris_b to keeping my IT safe from this sort of overreach of data. I have stopped poisoning the well with bad cookes but might well start again.

I do realise how many cookies are set and how they are used.

Rob

To me, it's not a question of 'cookies or no cookies'. I'm from IT, and I know how and why they work, and what to do with them. It's a question of method used, cynically to obfuscate and render difficult the free and informed choice of the User (me, in my case...) as to what's really being done with the cookies, and by whom. I use CCleaner, and keep some cookies as being useful, either to myself or to a trusted site (BC is on the 'trusted' list...), so that, when CCleaner empties the cookie jar, the 'good ones' remain. The 'good ones' that I've retained have all informed me of their purposes, and I've agreed to those purposes. This Ezoic malarkey has a deliberate way of presenting this choice to me which I find objectionable, and inspires no confidence whatever in me. I would accept, as a bare minimum, a 'Reject All Non-Essential Cookies' option, an option available to many other sites, and that I use, if I am confident that it's truly rejecting all but the essential cookies. I no longer have any such confidence in this case, given the manner in which the current 'information' has been presented. It may well all be innocuous; I don't trust it to be so. If the site needs this so much as to not have any other option, it will continue to operate without me (with much regret, as it's a fine site ...). Yes, I could use work-arounds, and clean out any rubbish I find on my PC (without being sure that I've not missed some...).My opinion has not changed soooooo ...

kKt36pb.png

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

These cookies are leaving a nasty taste in the mouth :(

There is also a small privacy banner on the left hand side of my iPad , like an irritating bluebottle 🪰

please make it stop 

Theres an orange tab on the left of my phone screen, and one on my PC screen.

We've been tagged like cattle! 😆

• Haha 2