Why become a member? ×

The Prince thread...

bubinga5

Do you have a favourite.?

Of course hes not for every one musically. But im sure most respect him as a musician.

Personally I consider him to be the greatest most accomplished musician of our times. .His piano playing is just fabulous as ive seen him playing the piano live in London.  His vocal range was just incredible. His guitar playing was very vocal in his approach. And the cat could play the bass very well.. 

I have a 3 disc album which contains all of the B sides of his records and its pretty mind blowing that they weren't hits.

These records are both B sides. Just fantastic records. imo of course.. The great thing about Prince was his shyness and his humility. The guy could play 20 plus instruments but he never ever mentioned it. I really respected him for his down to earth approach to humanity and music. But underneath he was a near genius. 

• Like 5

I hope that this isn't thought to be a de-rail; more, to me, a putting into perspective. I watched the first of a series on BBC TV, recounting the life of Beethoven...

BBC: Being Beethoven ...

I'm not one for proclaiming any G.O.A.T., in any domain; comparaisons are rather vain, with different epochs, styles, 'standing on the shoulder of' et al, but there have been, are currently, and will be in the future, many many Greats. Not, then, to belittle Prince, but the Pantheon is full of 'em, for our edification and delight. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I hope that this isn't thought to be a de-rail; more, to me, a putting into perspective. I watched the first of a series on BBC TV, recounting the life of Beethoven...

BBC: Being Beethoven ...

I'm not one for proclaiming any G.O.A.T., in any domain; comparaisons are rather vain, with different epochs, styles, 'standing on the shoulder of' et al, but there have been, are currently, and will be in the future, many many Greats. Not, then, to belittle Prince, but the Pantheon is full of 'em, for our edification and delight. :rWNVV2D:

Did you see the bit when I mentioned "hes the most accomplished of our time" ..? now im not sure how old you are matey but you aint as old as Beethoven. Who I consider, as well as Bach two of the greatest musicians of all time. BTW Just stick with with the subject pal. xx

• Haha 5

I lecture in music production in my day job. I often bring up Prince’s recordings to my students. There's never anything there that shouldn't be there.

Slightly off-topic. Check out Susan Roger’s book ‘This Is What It Sounds Like’.

She was Prince’s staff engineer for some of his greatest recordings.

I still clearly remember being in the car on the way to work and being amazed by some guy playing guitar and sounding like a modern day Jimi. I was surprised when the announcer revealed it was Prince, the track was Let’s Go Crazy.

No matter how highly regarded Prince is, he's still under-rated.

I remember looking at musicians wanted ads - nearly every one cited Prince as influences. 

Brilliant musician, brilliant producer,  brilliant showman. 

• Like 1

Had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times. Absolutely mesmerising live.

I've still got the 12" vinyl if 1999/ Little Red Corvette.

Fave track/performance is something he wrote for Maurice Day and The Time and performed live on the Welcome to America tour. "Cool"

http://youtu.be/jBlNeDFKDVo

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 2

Prince was a genius.

Sadly there are usually downsides when you are dealing with a genius.

He was a bit of a monster on the road. A few years ago, over the course of a world tour he managed to fire the entire road crew. I know the guy who took over as tour manager in France for the final couple of months. Apparently the crew wasn't allowed to talk to Prince and he even got upset if they looked at him.  Everyone had to address him through his manager. She was a lawyer who didn't have the first idea about anything that was going on. She thought it would be a good idea to do one of those gigs to a million people on a Brazilian beach and pencilled in a date a couple of weeks ahead. She was very annoyed to find out that getting visas wasn't guaranteed and for 60 people it would take a minimum of 3 months anyway.

Even so, I would have loved to be at one of Prince's after show parties. On the one in Paris Prince was joined by Larry Graham and they played for a couple of hours.

• Like 1