Why become a member? ×

Metal specific basses

SteveXFR

Having never actually played a metal specific bass I'm curious about whether they're actually anything more than just a bit metal looking.

Do they actually fo a better job of producing a good and clanky tone?

I ask because I'm a bit curious about the Ibanez Iron label basses as a replacement for my P bass

By the way, which metals have been used in basses, and by whom?

Kramer/Travis Bean/Hoxey/Aluminati...: Al necks

alusonic: Al bodies

Ogre: Mg bodies and necks (but no basses)

Gittler: steel body and neck

Anything else? Ti?

I think it's an "image" thing to shift units. 

If you look at what metal bassists are playing, there's plenty of Ps, Js, Warwicks that aren't Vampyres, G&Ls, Gibsons (especially T birds), Ricks, regular Ibanez, Stingrays, etc.

It's only a few that favour the pointy items.  And they seem to use BC Rich and similar. 

That clanky tone (for me, at least) comes from nice,  fresh strings,  a moderately low action,  appropriate EQ/ Drive and a slightly more aggressive playing technique. 

A pickup swap to something hotter/ brighter might help,  but not as much as EQ, strings and technique. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

You should get a really long strap; it's well known they increase the metallicness (metallicity?) of the bass.

Super long straps are more of a punk thing (yes I know, Church of Misery).

I did wonder whether they were just an aesthetic thing. 

An Ibanez SR 5 string would probably do the job quite nicely. A set of super bright strings and a bit of overdrive should get me to a disgraceful metal tone

• Like 1

I think it's more or less just an esthetic thing. 

I used to prefer the looks of a more modern bass ( my tastes are slowly changing ) For a good few years I've played a Traben as my main bass, and they're very much considered "metal". The band I'm in is about as far from metal as you can get, and the thing sounds absolutely sublime with an excellent tonal range that would fit nicely in any genre. 

On the other side of the coin you have people like Steve Harris who almost defined the genre and has happily played a P Bass for decades. 

My main gigging bass is currently an SR iron label MS5.  Have to say, it's lovely, so easy to play, looks great, lovely tones.  I'm looking to get a BTB iron label as a pair.  When I bought it, I wasn't looking for a metal bass (we're a function band!) but it just played so well, it stood out over the dozens of basses I tried at the time.  Honestly, I love it.

• Like 1

I reckon "metal specific bass" is sales malarkey.. 

In no particular order.. Amp, Fx, Tuning, and "how you play it" would all be more relevant I'd say. 

On the odd occasions when I've been recruited into doing metal-y  type stuff ( purely as a hireling ) I've used a. a Rickenbacker 4001.. and b. a Hohner Jack headless, in the case of the latter tuned down to a kind of drop C. 

Both of those functioned perfectly adequately for the purpose. 

• Like 2