Why become a member? ×

Who's good for couriering basses at the moment?

franzbassist

Have had success with parcelforce. No hassles with the length of the case (for some couriers it's too long). Even managed a delivery to a remote part of Scotland with no problems. 

Worse ever was Hermes, now called Evri I believe. It's still the same company and if the name is the only thing that's changed I wouldn't touch them with a hazmat suit on.

• Like 1

The thing to watch out for (which is basically a scam) if you go with ParcelForce etc directly is that they will happily charge you for insurance but by their own wording, "musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation" (https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation).

I've been using Overland Express - https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/musical-instrument-courier - who partner with ParcelForce, DHL, etc; but importantly the difference is that they will insure musical instruments.  It's about £40 to send on a 24-hour service within UK with £1000 of insurance.

Best to read their T&C yourself, but to qualify for insurance you need to send the bass in a hard case, inside a cardboard box.  Take photos of the whole packing process, and ask the recipient also to take photos when the bass arrives.

I haven't had to make any claim myself but the recommendation came from another basschatter who had used customer service and reported that they did make a proper effort to resolve any issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DPD, always use DPD.

They're the only courier who always turn up on time, and whose tracking always works.

Others shipping stuff to me use every courier known to man, with entirely predictable (and usually unhappy) results. I've used only DPD for the last five years when shipping stuff to others, and I have yet to encounter a problem.

• Like 1

I use UPS (they have a drop off near me, so I'm not waiting in all day for collection) with Secursus protection added separately. Normally works out at about £40 in total. No problem yet, I'm not selling much compared to some but obviously until a problem happens I still can't 100% be sure. For now it's the best I can get to reassure myself. As BigredX said, it's all down to the weakest link, which could be anyone at any company any of the time. At least with this way I know the guy at the drop off but from there it's pot luck really.

18 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

DPD, always use DPD.

They're the only courier who always turn up on time, and whose tracking always works.

Others shipping stuff to me use every courier known to man, with entirely predictable (and usually unhappy) results. I've used only DPD for the last five years when shipping stuff to others, and I have yet to encounter a problem.

I agree DPD are great for the recipient with their accurate live tracking - but as a sender, I can never get their website to accept a bass-sized package (e.g. 8kg, 130 x 50 x 20cm).

I just looked it up, and https://www.dpdlocal-online.co.uk/help-centre/parcels/question/pricing/what-are-the-size-restrictions-of-the-dpd-local-online-services says "Max length: 100cm".

How are you doing it?

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

Have had success with parcelforce. No hassles with the length of the case (for some couriers it's too long). Even managed a delivery to a remote part of Scotland with no problems. 

Worse ever was Hermes, now called Evri I believe. It's still the same company and if the name is the only thing that's changed I wouldn't touch them with a hazmat suit on.

I could have written this. 

43 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I agree DPD are great for the recipient with their accurate live tracking - but as a sender, I can never get their website to accept a bass-sized package (e.g. 8kg, 130 x 50 x 20cm).

I just looked it up, and https://www.dpdlocal-online.co.uk/help-centre/parcels/question/pricing/what-are-the-size-restrictions-of-the-dpd-local-online-services says "Max length: 100cm".

How are you doing it?

I say Length = 100cm and the courier never even mentions it when he arrives. 😂

• Like 1

Ah, I see.  Could work some of the time.  FWIW I've been pulled up by ParcelForce for having the wrong dimensions.

(Edit: Actually I'm doing myself a disservice - pretty sure my dimensions were correct; they claimed I was wrong and would have to pay a fee before they delivered it; I asked for a photo of their measurements and a copy of my order showing my declared dimensions; they never replied and did finally go ahead and deliver the item.  The point is that some carriers might sometimes check - just something to bear in mind if underdeclaring.)

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Ah, I see.  Could work some of the time.  FWIW I've been pulled up by ParcelForce for having the wrong dimensions.

(Edit: Actually I'm doing myself a disservice - pretty sure my dimensions were correct; they claimed I was wrong and would have to pay a fee before they delivered it; I asked for a photo of their measurements and a copy of my order showing my declared dimensions; they never replied and did finally go ahead and deliver the item.  The point is that some carriers might sometimes check - just something to bear in mind if underdeclaring.)

I had the same form UPS once, they said they'd cover the extra fee so not to worry, but I wonder if they realised that they were in fact wrong after all as it was measured properly!

On 20/07/2023 at 13:08, Dad3353 said:

Some basses can be shortened by removing the neck (or so I'm led to believe...). It's no fun couriering a drum kit, either. B|

The last bass I posted (fairly recently) I did just this.. Took the neck off and packaged it all up very securely, I always go belt and braces with packing. 

I declared it as "luthier component parts" which technically it was (particularly as there was a bag of "bits" in there too) to have a fighting chance if it went sideways and I had to claim. Obvious if its a complete "guitar" they automatically wriggle out as we know. 

It went Parcelforce 48 collected from me, tho the collection time was cutting it a bit fine as it was finally picked up abut 6.30 pm and I was wondering if they'd turn up at all. 

It arrived with the recipient fine with no issues luckily anyway. 

BTW.. I booked it online directly with RM Parcelforce

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Thanks 1

That's the one.

If you dont mind spending a bit extra  ( 55 quid ) for sending a bass, then Lenspeed are brilliant. Used them 3 times now.  You get the owner when you phone or message them.  They dont require a hard case, and they dont require a cardboard box.  Just a gig bag will do, and you're fully insured. You'll get texts from his driver on impending delivery.

• Like 1

Just an addendum.  I just recently sold a bass that wasnt considered that valuable  (  200 quid )  so decided not to use Lenspeed. I tried  Send My Bag,  who in my case, sent Parcel Force.  I gave info on the SMB booking form that it was a bass,  and they accepted this as they have their own insurance.  A hard case wasnt needed, just bomb proof packing.  Handy since i dont have hard cases.  PF turned up on time, and the bass was delivered on time  ( 48 hour with tracking )

That cost 28 quid, including 4 quid extra insurance to take cover to 200 quid.  I'd certainly use SMB again, for inexpensive music gear.  Anything valuable i would use Lenspeed again