Why become a member? ×

Is 5 String pointless?

MJJS

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

The thing is to appreciate the point as it applies to others, even if it is pointless to you personally.

I might keep this on my clipboartd and paste it into every thread :D 

You will get banned - we don't need that crazy positivity here!

• Haha 5

I found 5 string to be very liberating. It's not for everyone. It was for me. Small hands so 6 is out of the question. As is 35" scale. Ironically the Fender American pro line was where my comfort zone was. Life has been sweet ever since.

In my previous band the singer had us drop lower than E for quite a few songs, so rather than retuning my E string every other song, I bought a fiver.  I then spent 6 weeks getting used to it and it became the only bass I played.  I really appreciated the versatility the extra string gave.

I then joined a punk band and got to use all my 4 string basses again and I remembered how comfortable they are to play compared to a fiver.

My first band fell apart and since then, the fiver has been gathering dust and more 4 string basses have been added to the collection.

Yesterday, while discussing a few new songs to add to our set, our singer asked us to play one of these new songs in D.  So I dusted off the fiver and learnt the song with that.  I'm of two minds whether to bring my fiver to rehearsals/gigs for just one song but as we are talking about adding a second set of songs the chances are more songs will need D and Eb.

My take on 4 vs 5 is:

4 = comfort

5 = versatility

• Like 2

I've never actually owned (or I think even played) a five string. I went straight from 4 to 6. I actually much prefer the six. After a little modification in technique, mostly muting and learning how to use a floating thumb, I actually find the sixer far easier to play than the four. 

If it wasn't for the damn weight and my knackered back I don't think I'd ever pick up a four again. 

• Like 2

I switched to 5 strings for a while and quite enjoyed it, I didn’t find myself using the lower notes much even playing reggae but some basslines seemed easier to play going across the board as opposed to up and down, I’m glad I did it but at heart I prefer 4 strings , I also like my 70s fenders which are fours 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Everything in the end is pointless, eventually we are all going to die anyway.

Indeed .. but will you have a 4 or 5 or 6 string in your hands when it happens?

S'manth x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a good job that all 5-strings are absolutely identical so that if somebody tries a 5-string and doesn't like it because it's not comfortable, they don't have to try any other 5-strings before deciding never to use one again. And if you never play any notes below bottom E then a 5-string is completely pointless anyway.

• Haha 5

Perhaps somewhat unusually I played 5s for the first 10 years, then switched to 4s for 10 years, and am now 3 years into being back to 5s. I've had a couple of 6s along the way, but have concluded that they're not something I personally need. Still not 'pointless', though; just not useful enough anywhere near often enough.

Playing with fingers I'll use all the strings I have, but playing with a pick I tend to mostly just anchor my little finger on whatever the thinnest one happens to be. If I didn't do that then I think I'd probably have settled on BEAD-tuned 4s for my heavier-genre pick playing and 5s for the lighter fingerstyle stuff, but at this point I have no desire to try and change whatever passes for my 'technique', so 5s make sense for everything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyBass said:

In my previous band the singer had us drop lower than E for quite a few songs, so rather than retuning my E string every other song, I bought a fiver.  I then spent 6 weeks getting used to it and it became the only bass I played.  I really appreciated the versatility the extra string gave.

I then joined a punk band and got to use all my 4 string basses again and I remembered how comfortable they are to play compared to a fiver.

My first band fell apart and since then, the fiver has been gathering dust and more 4 string basses have been added to the collection.

Yesterday, while discussing a few new songs to add to our set, our singer asked us to play one of these new songs in D.  So I dusted off the fiver and learnt the song with that.  I'm of two minds whether to bring my fiver to rehearsals/gigs for just one song but as we are talking about adding a second set of songs the chances are more songs will need D and Eb.

My take on 4 vs 5 is:

4 = comfort

5 = versatility

If I was you I'd probably stick the 4 string, but install a D-tuner (or whatever they are called) tuning mechanism on it.

Will be quicker and more practical than both tuning down the 4 string manually or switching to a 5 string, in fact as simple as just flipping a lever (and flipping it once again to get back to E tuning).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I've switched permanently to 5 string. I've gotten so comfortable with it that 4 string just feels like a toy now. I use the B all the time. Makes playing much easier even at low E and above. After 4 years of 5 string, I now consider 4 string inferior to 5 string. I no longer even consider 4 string a real bass.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, joel406 said:

I've switched permanently to 5 string. I've gotten so comfortable with it that 4 string just feels like a toy now. I use the B all the time. Makes playing much easier even at low E and above. After 4 years of 5 string, I now consider 4 string inferior to 5 string. I no longer even consider 4 string a real bass.

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I can do everything I want on a 4, and all mine are real basses 

I thought everything was real once too, then I took LSD and realized that reality is just an illusion.

I don't even consider my 6 string basses real basses anymore.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash