Why become a member? ×

Gig Bags - what are you using ?

dmccombe7

Did a search and couldn't see anything on this so apologies if i've missed it.

I currently use an lod laptop type bag that also has a lot of spare pockets etc.

I carry a spare class D amp, leads, Shure wireless, couple of pedals that i might use, spare strap and various tools and spare batteries. All the usual things you need for a gig.

I'm finding the bag is becoming too small for my needs these days.

What is everyone else using ?

Dave

I use a Wenger rucksack, very strong, well put together and plenty of compartments so I can keep things separate rather than in one big jumble.

I did recently buy a Mono Pedalboard & Case - mainly for the case - and now I’m going minimal will try this. I do like Mono gear.

For my basses - a very uncomfortable Mono M80 gig bag for the Gus and an Eastwood branded heavily padded gig bag that was supplied with the Hooky Bass.

For the Helix Floor the Line6 Helix Back Pack. All the leads specifically for the Helix plus the footswitch that controls the backing go in the front pocket.

For everything else a Line6 Pod/Floorboard bag. XLR and mains leads go in the main centre compartment, DI boxes and headphone amp in the Pod section, and tools and Gaffa tape in the small pocket.

Bits and bobs bag?  Eastpak Padded Double Backpack.  Pockets everywhere.  Fits all my stupid stuff and keeps it semi organised.  Main compartment also has a pouch which is where flat things like spare strings and toolkit go.

image.thumb.png.ece70f8b8d36eded011304c33498fdb7.png

• Like 1

I use Mono M80 sleeves, I need a better solution for cable storage, probably going to go with the Thomann accessory bag mini when I get the chance.

I mainly went with the mono stuff because you don't have to lay the bag down to get the bass out/put it in.

Got a camera bag with spares and tools etc in as well.

My Bass gigbag is a Protec Contego, which is a lovely bit of kit
https://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_bass_case_ctg_233.htm

My bits bag is a Gator GK2110, which is still going strong after about 15 years heavy use.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gk2110_multieffect_bag.htm
Room for everything you need, and lots of stuff you don't.

Other retailers are available.

I use Gator pro go gigbags, both a double & single depending on the gig & how many basses I need.

Within these I have spare sets of strings, Strap, Ipad, IEM’s,Guitar transmitter & a small ‘take-away portion’ size tupperware that contains tools,alan keys,batteries etc.

I also use a Pelicase style wheel-along case in the 1510 size which contains 2 guitar stands, 2 5m leads, Ipad bracket, drink holder for mic-stand, 3 power supplies & my Pedaltrain nano+ in its bag.

I like to keep things compact…

Edited by Bassman68

I have a Gator foam case and for now I just about manage to fit all my cables into that and the bag I carry my pedalboard in. It is getting to be a tight squeeze though so I might need to start taking a small rucksack with cables, extension leads, etc. in.

Edited by asingardenof

As I fulfil the traditional bassist's role as PA man, I've got mains extensions, mains leads, XLR leads, etc, so those all go in a wheelie suitcase. Bits for the bass go in the bass gig-bag. Everything else that needs a home (tablet to control mixer, last minute thoughts, spare T-shirt & towel) go in a Spada laptop bag that was a free gift at the Motorcycle Show ten years ago https://spadaclothing.co.uk/en/moto/products/accessories/luggage/gonzo-laptop-bag-luggage

When I am using gig bags for the basses I use Reunion Blues Aero series. The cables etc go in a Mesa Boogie cable bag. Similar to the Amazon one you are considering. 

I have a Wenger aircraft carry on type bag for rehearsals. It's more manageable for carrying the fewer bits I need and is the right size for folders etc.

• Like 1

Most of my kit goes in a Music Store Deluxe Gigbag, like this:

music-store-deluxe-gigbag-for-guitar-effect-pedals_1_GIT0019289-000.thumb.jpg.0689689dd5a3a97640862fb52c3339c7.jpg

The front pocket is huge and swallows up all my "crucial" bits and pieces - power cables, leads, tablet holder, wireless kit etc. My RockBoard 3.0 lives in the main section along with a hand towel and a black nylon cloth that I use to cover my amp stand.  I've also got a standard holdall with one big pocket where things like extension cables, gaffa tape and my little tool kit live, but for the vast majority of the gigs I do, I'll not need to open it up - apart from maybe getting out the gaffa tape! I'd advise anyone who gets any type of gigbag to get one that opens up as wide as possible so you can throw stuff in at the end of a gig and not have to worry too much about opening up secret pockets and hidden flapdoodles. I used to use a bag with loads of pockets and hidey-holes but I would always forget where I'd stashed everything. I find that just having one big space to put everything in works better for me. I know it's counter-intuitive, but...

I've got a Hercules double stand which I keep in a cheapo tripod bag. None of my kit needs much padding as it travels in a car 95% of the time, but there are so many bits on that stand which could get caught on something and get bent, torn off or damaged. The simplest of bags eliminates that problem.

I've probably spent more time mulling over storage solutions than I've spent on deciding on bass guitar purchases.

I have an ABS case for my amplifier, one of those with pull-off foam inserts so you can cut it to fit. That carries my amplifier and cables. 

Sometimes it's more convenient to use something I've seen described as a 'technician's tool bag' or similar. Big central compartment, with full side pockets (come in different sizes) and various subdivisions, pocket on the top... 

Mine is not this one but it's the same idea:

SG33741-40.jpg

I put a layer of hard foam at the bottom, and it fits my amplifier and a laptop, or my Zoom R16 recorder, or a multiFX, or... you get the idea. Lots of space for a folder with music, and cables, tools, etc. Quite handy those.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I have an ABS case for my amplifier, one of those with pull-off foam inserts so you can cut it to fit. That carries my amplifier and cables. 

Sometimes it's more convenient to use something I've seen described as a 'technician's tool bag' or similar. Big central compartment, with full side pockets (come in different sizes) and various subdivisions, pocket on the top... 

Mine is not this one but it's the same idea:

SG33741-40.jpg

I put a layer of hard foam at the bottom, and it fits my amplifier and a laptop, or my Zoom R16 recorder, or a multiFX, or... you get the idea. Lots of space for a folder with music, and cables, tools, etc. Quite handy those.

I like that bag but not sure i'd use the screwdriver holders but something like this would do the job better than the laptop bag i currently use.

Dave

59 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I like that bag but not sure i'd use the screwdriver holders but something like this would do the job better than the laptop bag i currently use.

Dave

Yeah, there's only so many pens you can carry :D but they will hold string cutters etc, so it's nice to have a handful of those. Look at different bags, some are a bit longer than others, and the compartment number and type do vary.

• Thanks 1

I use a Protection Racket Bass Guitar Case Deluxe. semi hard case for the bass, and a big enough pocket for my small pedal board (in its own case) and cables, then an additional pocket for some basic essentials (lube and condoms etc)

It's on the bulky side but nowhere near as heavy as a proper hard case. and the big pocket at the front means i i can normally get away without carrying an extra case... which I love.

There's no name on my bass gigbag, but it does the job very nicely. And it once belonged to dear OldGit, so it's going nowhere. Every time I pick it up, I can hear him asking for more baritone in the monitors :lol:

My pedalboard and its associated cable snake lives in a rucksack that could have been made to measure, all the amp leads go in a bag in the back of the rack, and all my tools and batteries and bits & bobs are in a wee cantilever toolbox that I've had since I was 16.

Edited by Rich

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

Yeah, there's only so many pens you can carry :D but they will hold string cutters etc, so it's nice to have a handful of those. Look at different bags, some are a bit longer than others, and the compartment number and type do vary.

I prefer pockets that fasten tight rather than the open top ones. Sometimes my bag has some issues remaining in the upright position and has been reprimanded on many occasions for taking these unwanted excursions during warp transport to and from gigs.

Dave