Why become a member? ×

Just to confuse the “Tone” debate further!

Velarian

Just when you thought it was safe to venture out, we now have ‘tone pickguards’ to add to the mix!

A new revelation in the quest for perfect tone or emperor’s new clothes?

Discuss 😉

If there are aftermarket manufacturers for it, there will be propaganda for it. If it can be used for one-upmanship, there will be propaganda for it. If there are bedroom players who only ever play in isolation and can obsess over microscopic perceived changes in tone when nobody can really hear it because the only part of this whole circus which actually matters in the end is the music these tools make, there will be propaganda for it.

• Like 5

Like all these "tests" the scientific methodology is so flawed that the test itself is worthless.

The proper scientific way would be first to see whether simply dismantling the guitar and putting it back together with the same parts produces any change in sound. 

Once you can prove that it can be done 50 times in a row without any difference, only then can you start examining the the effect of replacing ONE component at a time.

• Like 16

I am really not an expert but to be honest, if tone wood was a thing, then I would think that a thick bit of plastic that covers half of the body placed in between the wood and the strings and all around the pickup would also matter. And they would not all be the same

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

What about your mood being a factor in the sound of your bass, eh?

I tell you, my basses sound completely different depending on whether I'm happy or angry...

About as believable.....

My basses sound different depending how much alcohol is in my organism.

• Haha 4