Why become a member? ×

Just to confuse the “Tone” debate further!

Velarian

This is true!

Also would you believe it, whether you are wearing socks or not makes a huge tonal difference too!

Proof:

I first played my just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, tuned to F# standard tuning, as in 2 half staps above regular E standard tuning, through my "amp-less" setup with headphones and socks on, then my regular 34" scale Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic, tuned in regular E standard tuning, through my 1 x 15" Trace Elliot combo, but without socks on, and believe it or not but the tonal difference was like night and day!

There you have it: tone socks!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

5 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Since eddy currents seems to be the most scientific explanation of the effect (if there is one), then I would expect screening the back of the pickguard and the Pickup cavities to have a similar effect.

Ah, that good ol' rockabilly twangster Eddy Currents 🎸

14 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

With the boots you'd be the cowboy Shurely Shirley... 

I thought it over and deliberate to BeeGees - Funky Billy Chin (kung fu fighting). No boots, no socks - balanced vintage tone.😍

Edited by nilorius
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

If i had to choose - aligator - wild west type boots - gives more midrange, i guess.😜

Crocodile shoes was a song recorded by an “actor” called jimmy nail, snappy is a weak pun 

31 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I used to be in a band with a guitarist who went on about the tonal effects of all sorts of stuff including paint. You can really hear minute tone the differences through his fuzz, reverb, wah and overdriven valve amp.

Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins is convinced guitars with white finish sounds the best.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

What about the Ritter Royal Flora Aurum?

Is the tone improved by having the details below? Remember it did cost £250k.

The fingerboard inlay features flowers made of 24-karat gold, with platinum-dipped black diamonds on each leaf. This bass is literally dripping in gold; the tuner, bridge, knobs, and buttons are all made of gold.

Not only that, but diamonds top each knob. The knob position marks are made of green diamonds. If this bass didn’t get any more extra, the nut is made of ivory from a 10,000-year-old Siberian Mammoth.

10 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

What about the Ritter Royal Flora Aurum?

Is the tone improved by having the details below? Remember it did cost £250k.

The fingerboard inlay features flowers made of 24-karat gold, with platinum-dipped black diamonds on each leaf. This bass is literally dripping in gold; the tuner, bridge, knobs, and buttons are all made of gold.

Not only that, but diamonds top each knob. The knob position marks are made of green diamonds. If this bass didn’t get any more extra, the nut is made of ivory from a 10,000-year-old Siberian Mammoth.

Sorry, but unless there is actual liquid gold dripping off this bass, it is figuratively dripping in gold.

I cannot abide how people use "literally" to mean "very".

• Like 3