Why become a member? ×

Convoluted NBD - having a right old moan

neepheid

I decided to treat myself to a bass.  I ordered it from Thomann on the 18th June, it was awaiting the arrival of stock so not worried about a bit of a wait.  However, the backordered stock arrived pretty quickly and it got despatched on 21st June.  Haven't heard a peep since.  Been staring at this ever since:

image.png.95073fe0eb9e7056da279998c2cbf5a5.png

So it's disappeared down a customs black hole I reckon.  I have been in touch with Thomann and they've asked me for a little more patience and to let them know if nothing changes by Monday.  What happens now?  Ask them to send another?  Cancel the whole effing thing and buy something else from somewhere in the UK?

What's especially annoying (and I'm not angry at them!) is that another BCer also ordered a bass from Thomann which got despatched the same day as mine and it got through no problem.

Just sitting here a bit grumpy.  Sympathise, tell me to grow up (first world problems and all that) or ignore, I just felt like having a whinge about it :)

No mate... i feel ya pain...

Something nice is bittered by things out of your control, made worse when these are everyday events that dont appear to affect others...

My forehead vein starts a throbbin' (easy!) When the queue next to me starts moving faster!

Whats coming? - something cheeky nice... long term um ah and thought plan or a spur of the moment I'll have one of them?

Can't beat that box opening specialness... it will be with you soon.

Box and that opening rush!

• Like 1

Nah, paid by card.  Always had good service from Thomann in the past so I'm not concerned about some of the interesting tales recently reported regarding returning goods.  This is a different situation anyway - it's not a return, I've never received it in the first place!

Besides, I have little doubt that this is a UK Customs snafu.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

No mate... i feel ya pain...

Something nice is bittered by things out of your control, made worse when these are everyday events that dont appear to affect others...

My forehead vein starts a throbbin' (easy!) When the queue next to me starts moving faster!

Whats coming? - something cheeky nice... long term um ah and thought plan or a spur of the moment I'll have one of them?

Can't beat that box opening specialness... it will be with you soon.

Box and that opening rush!

Been sooked in by all the Sire chatter of rolled fingerboard edges, roasty toasty necks and general niceness for the money, and always been vaguely curious about a '51/'54 P so thought I'd give the D5 a go.  Thought being the operative word at the moment...

• Like 1

It's a bit random at the moment as to how expeditiously items get through customs. I've had things sail through in no time at all and others go nowhere for a week. Unfortunately, things are not as seamless as they were...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Paying by card or bank transfer or PayPal gives you the same protection...

Which courier did Thomann use?

I found this website and/or App more accurate for checking in real time where is a parcel: https://parcelsapp.com/

I believe the parcel gets handed off to UK Mail/DHL.  Trouble is, the tracking doesn't come alive until the package clears customs.  I don't know how Thomann get their goods from themselves to the customs.  I know of the site you linked, and you're right - sometimes they seem to be able to glean more than the official tracking does!  No joy in this case though - nada info.  Because it's most likely stuck in customs limbo land...

• Sad 1

Ok, you gave the answer: DHL!

When it comes to "exporting" parcels DHL is a real pain in the derrière as they seem to have no real service for that.

I've had parcels stuck at their "customs" service for a week or two before they are cleared and I live in Belgium, the country just nearby, so imagine a real customs clearance...

You'll have to wait at least another week.

• Sad 1

Yeah, I know, but waiting for shiny things to arrive is rubbish.  I guess my main annoyance is the inconsistency - another bass gets dispatched DE>UK on the same day from same company using same courier and sails through.

• Like 2

It could be a UK courier thing. Since Tufnells went bust a few weeks back all the other ones have been deluged with extra work and are way behind in general. Throw in customs and international purchasing......

• Like 1

There's bound to be a couple of officious CITES jobsworth perusing over the fretboard ..

"  It's Gabon Ebony / Macassar Rosewood /  Cuban Driftwood "  ( delete as necessary )

" Nope you muppet. It's Horse Chestnut "

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, neepheid said:

Nah, paid by card.  Always had good service from Thomann in the past so I'm not concerned about some of the interesting tales recently reported regarding returning goods.  This is a different situation anyway - it's not a return, I've never received it in the first place!

Besides, I have little doubt that this is a UK Customs snafu.

That or Thomman didn't fill in the docs correctly, which would be unusual but if it can happen on the returns end it can happen on the sending end.

• Like 1

In my day job I work for a company which manufactures in Poland and Germany and then ships direct to customers in the UK. We have this happen an awful lot - since the unmentionable of course, before that it was fine…

Basically it’s sitting waiting customs clearance and there’s sweet FA you or Thomann can do about it. It will reappear soon I’m sure.

But don’t worry, your next passport will be blue 😃

Edited by Merton
Smelling pistake
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Merton said:

In my day job I work for a company which manufactures in Poland and Germany and then ships direct to customers in the UK. We have this happen an awful lot - since the unmentionable of course, before that it was fine…

Basically it’s sitting waiting customs clearance and there’s sweet FA you or Thomann can do about it. It will reappear soon I’m sure.

You want me to be... patient?  You know that's not how GAS works, right? ;)

26 minutes ago, Merton said:

But don’t worry, your next passport will be blue 😃

Unhappy to report I'm already there, and it makes me sad every time I see it.

• Like 3

Well, that's 2 weeks since it was dispatched from Thomann, still not heard a peep on the tracking since then :(

I've continued to bug Thomann about it - noised them up on Monday, they got back to me on Tuesday to say they'll investigate from their end to see what's going on.

HMRC - give me my bloody bass!

I think I might have been refunded by Thomann.  Haven't got an email about it yet, but something suggesting store credit being paid to my card has come up in my order history, even though it looks like a new bass order, which confused me greatly.

I await official news...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I think I might have been refunded by Thomann.  Haven't got an email about it yet, but something suggesting store credit being paid to my card has come up in my order history, even though it looks like a new bass order, which confused me greatly.

I await official news...

You’re based North of the border which may have a bearing on the delay if the port of entry, where clearance would normally take place, is South. And then there is DHL (Richard Heads Limited), which used to be an express logistics company. 
Your frustration is understandable but as you will, or at least should, be required to sign for delivery, if it doesn’t show up you’re covered. 

Edit. Crikey. Well I’m sure you get the Richard thing. 

Edited by Cliff Edge