Why become a member? ×

I am not a Glasto aficionado, but I watched Elton on Sunday night and couldn't help but realise that this was something rather special.  I've rarely seen a performance that unified people like that one. I can only think of Queen at Live Aid, really.

It's a terrible cliché but it's true, those songs have become part of people's lives and part of the cultural fabric of our nation. What's great about Elton is that he doesn't pretend to be a normal person. He's had fifty-odd years of being the superstar Elton John and he is unashamedly different and difficult. But ,paradoxically, ordinary folks identify with him and his music.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2

surprised at the criticism of Glen Matlock, he was so low in the mix as to be nearly inaudible even through my 15" PA speakers, or maybe this was on purpose because he wasn't very good, I really couldn't tell, same with Tony James in Generation Sex's set, the only time I heard the bass well was in Elton John's set, on the ones I listened too anyway, which I admit wasn't many

33 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Unfortunately, I suspect others will still churn it out...

😁

I'd rather listen to Reg & Bernie's music than the vast majority of the dross I hear on the radio, so... *shrug*

Yes, that probably makes me sound like an old fárt.
Yes, I probably am an old fárt.

No, I don't give a fck.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It's also lucrative. There is no supply without demand

Just picking up from your opening few words, it's obviously lucrative to the band, but the demand is more a rites of passage thing for many, like a gap year or going to Ibiza.  Remember that it sells out way before many of the acts are even announced.  I work with a lady in her early-mid 50s; credit where due she travels the length and breadth of the country going to gigs and festivals.  She was distraught at missing out on Glastonbury this year.  

The musical landscape has changed significantly since I were a lad; we've moved from being precious about purchases, buying an album (or two a month, maybe) that you'd listen to constantly eventually through osmosis knowing every note from start to finish.  Now the culture is pretty much everything available to everyone and people generally cherry-picking popular tracks by hundreds of artists and too many albums just full of filler.  I'd still maintain a good chunk of the tickets are bought by people (the Spotify Generation as a mate succinctly put it) who have little or no deep-interest in music, but know all the words to a couple of Lewis Capaldi tracks.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

By the time your favourite band is playing large arenas, or stadiums, or is high up on the bill at festivals, their best days are long behind them, anyway. If you didn't see them when they were playing small, filthy sweatboxes, you've probably missed the really good stuff already 🙂

I saw Lou Reed not long before he died. I was a bit worried as he had a reputation for tinkering with song arrangements and so on, but he was amazing. Played the whole Berlin album straight with "Satellite..." as an encore. Your favourite artist's best days may be behind them, but just occasionally they will pull off something special and you will want to be able to say you were there.

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

That's 15 musicians out of literally thousands 

..ok then here's another 15 and so.....Generation Sex (Billy Idol and Steve Jones both 67, Tony James 70, Paul Cook 66), Johnny Marr 59, Glen Matlock 66, Rick Astley 57, Steve Hillage 71, Robert Fripp 77 & Toyah 65, Steve Earle 68, Richard Thompson 74, Billy Bragg 65, Paul Carrack 72, Glen Tilbrook 65, Neville Staple 68, the Damned mid-late 60s I'm guessing. Didn't know they were even still going. And there were loads more guys from the electronica scene in their 50s. I'm not saying it's wrong for these older musicians to be there. I'm just surprised at how many bands from my youth and toddler years are still active. I don't buy music mags or read Pitchfork etc and nor do I listen to music on the radio so have no idea what's going on in the music world. I only listen to my CDs.

28 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

surprised at the criticism of Glen Matlock, he was so low in the mix as to be nearly inaudible even through my 15" PA speakers, or maybe this was on purpose because he wasn't very good, I really couldn't tell, same with Tony James in Generation Sex's set, the only time I heard the bass well was in Elton John's set, on the ones I listened too anyway, which I admit wasn't many

The TV coverage sound was all over the place - I only watched half of Guns & Roses because they had slash turned up to 11 and drowning out everything else - couldn't hear Duff or the other guitarist. For EJ though, apparently the sound mix was perfect.... 

21 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just picking up from your opening few words, it's obviously lucrative to the band, but the demand is more a rites of passage thing for many, like a gap year or going to Ibiza.  Remember that it sells out way before many of the acts are even announced.  I work with a lady in her early-mid 50s; credit where due she travels the length and breadth of the country going to gigs and festivals.  She was distraught at missing out on Glastonbury this year.  

The musical landscape has changed significantly since I were a lad; we've moved from being precious about purchases, buying an album (or two a month, maybe) that you'd listen to constantly eventually through osmosis knowing every note from start to finish.  Now the culture is pretty much everything available to everyone and people generally cherry-picking popular tracks by hundreds of artists and too many albums just full of filler.  I'd still maintain a good chunk of the tickets are bought by people (the Spotify Generation as a mate succinctly put it) who have little or no deep-interest in music, but know all the words to a couple of Lewis Capaldi tracks.

I agree entirely. People go to events, not gigs and, for many, they will have lapped up multiple over-the-hill acts and have ticked off a load of boxes. It's still demand, though, in whatever guise. People like to see "legends" play even if any musical merit they had exists only on old recordings. A cult of celebrity thing?

Debbie Harry owes me nothing, though. I've no problem with her picking up the cheques even if, as the saying goes, I wouldn't open the curtains if they were playing in my back garden. If someone wants to have the time of their life to what is utter mediocrity to my ears, let them at it. Legacy schmegacy. It doesn't change the old recordings.

I am probably the target market of legacy/nostalgia act circuit, but I have no interest in it. However, I can't deny it is the prime mover when it comes to ticket sales, these days. It is what the people seem to want.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

One man's meat... etc

"Blondie delivered one of the best sets of the weekend"

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66013118

Pretty well all of the BBCs reporting is how great it all was and how nothing was wrong at all. I guess they have recording rights to sell to other countries!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Pretty well all of the BBCs reporting is how great it all was and how nothing was wrong at all. I guess they have recording rights to sell to other countries!

to state the bleedin obvious, it's a lot different being there than watching it at home, being there the atmosphere has a lot bigger impact than sitting at home watching it on TV

There have always been old people on stage at Glastonbury. Here's Tony Bennett from 1998 at a very youthful 72 (youngster by all accounts this year!), and in incredible vocal form. Dig the end of Old Devil Moon and the note he holds for a full 12 bars, and the crowd knows they're hearing something special.

I was there in 1998 ('nam flashback 100 yard stare). Got there Thursday. Nice evening! Friday = rain all day, all night. Saturday = quagmire. Went home. Got out of the bath in time for Tony B on BBC in the afternoon.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I'd rather listen to Reg & Bernie's music than the vast majority of the dross I hear on the radio

One man's stinking pile of sloppy doggy do in the Middle Of The Road is another's piece of purest gold.

And while I don't think Elton and The Bernster's muzak is a stinky old dog poo, I do find it just a touch bland and not to my taste. Though I quite like Pinball Wizard (but wasn't that Pete Townshend?)...

Anyway, Chacun à son goût!

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

to state the bleedin obvious, it's a lot different being there than watching it at home, being there the atmosphere has a lot bigger impact than sitting at home watching it on TV

Of course its obvious, I said the same thing in the previous post.

But I still think they have to be positive as they own the video rights!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Which is why the loss of John Peel is felt even greater. IIRC, once on TOTP, he said, “If this gets to number one, I’ll come and pass wind in your kitchen,” a man who stuck to his guns and taste in music. Johnnie Walker would count in this vein too (sacked/resigned for refusing to say he liked The Bay City Rollers on radio, when he didn’t).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

I quoted the wrong post

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Of course its obvious, I said the same thing in the previous post.

should've been @Doctor J's

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Edited by PaulWarning

If everyone had the same musical taste then we would all just listen to Michael Buble and that's not a world I want to live in.

Frank Sinatra once used his mafia connections to get live rock music banned in Palm Springs because he didn't like it. That forced the local kids to go out to the desert with generators and make music which is where stoner metal started and eventually led to Queens Of The Stone Age. So I guess maybe banning what you don't like is good? I don't know now, I've forgotten where I was going with this.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

If everyone had the same musical taste then we would all just listen to Michael Buble and that's not a world I want to live in.

Frank Sinatra once used his mafia connections to get live rock music banned in Palm Springs because he didn't like it. That forced the local kids to go out to the desert with generators and make music which is where stoner metal started and eventually led to Queens Of The Stone Age. So I guess maybe banning what you don't like is good? I don't know now, I've forgotten where I was going with this.

You left them in the kitchen Steve. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I know there was a desert scene, but you know that Palm Springs isn't like a fountain and a few big houses, right?  The city is nearly 250 square km.  Four times bigger than Manhattan.  Twice as big as Manchester.  At least.

This is one of those stories that does the rounds every once in while, this idea that Sinatra roused up a few Italian/American arm-bending mafia-types who knocked up venues going, 'Nice little business you have here, you wouldn't want anything to happen to it, would you?' is preposterous.  

I don't know how palm springs is based on the desert scene or where that comes from, or how it relates to QotSA (who formed in Seatle), although it is fair to say that whatever the size of palm springs is (as above), it is a long strip with a desert either side, so you can pretty well get to some bit of the desert in a few minutes from pretty well anywhere.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't know how palm springs is based on the desert scene or where that comes from, or how it relates to QotSA (who formed in Seatle), although it is fair to say that whatever the size of palm springs is (as above), it is a long strip with a desert either side, so you can pretty well get to some bit of the desert in a few minutes from pretty well anywhere.

It was Palm Desert, California. Not palm springs. My mistake. 

Kyuss formed in this scene and when Kyuss split, Josh went on to form QOTSA

• Like 1