Why become a member? ×

Another hissy fit - Sleaford Mods this time

mr4stringz

17 hours ago, casapete said:

Must admit at our gigs in theatres ( about as much of a polar opposite to S.Mods as humanly possible),

I am always amazed by how many times we get people on the front row who don’t seem to be enjoying 

it much when everyone else around them are going crazy. It’s easy to let their apparent indifference

start messing with your head - are we too loud / not playing well / a major disappointment etc. I usually

deal with this by trying not to look at them much, and concentrate on others. Even though I’m not the

best at ‘joining in’ when I’m in the audience at gigs, I do try to give off a positive vibe to the people I’m

watching. Mind you, I don’t go for front row seats either - often not the best sound wise and depending

on the stage height can be poor for vision too. ( Also at comedy gigs you’re pretty much guaranteed to

be part of the show at some point ).

Everyone is different and responds to what’s going on in their own way I guess.

In this era where everyone appears to be suffering with undiagnosed neurodivergence of some nature;

I liken these people who appear to be on another planet as the trainspotters version of music spotters.

I have a friend who goes to gigs, knows a lot of the artists and musicians names, knows what bands and other artists they've played. Knows what instruments they play and on what tracks on what albums they've played them. Is front row at gigs, often getting priority tickets. 

He doesn't dance, and doesn't appreciate even people talking around him.

I quite like the wedding gigs comment above, a few of them and you soon realise playing for 3 hours to a crowd who have no interest in dancing and are only there to catch up on family gossip reminds you that quite often, you're just providing background music. 

If one gig in 5 is a massive dance fest, then I'm happy, the problem is if you're only doing one gig a month you'll only get 2 gigs a year like that. 😆

Try playing in a jazz trio in a beer tent at a fete. No one is there because they enjoy jazz, not even the bass player... but at least you get polite clapping between piano solos. 

Edited by TimR
  • Haha 1

It’s one thing to be slagging someone off backstage and another to be calling someone out on social media, especially for this non existent crime. Not everything should be posted to the wider public. Well out of order. To be fair though, he’s deleted it so probably realised he was being a d**khead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, How1 said:

It’s one thing to be slagging someone off backstage and another to be calling someone out on social media, especially for this non existent crime. Not everything should be posted to the wider public. Well out of order. To be fair though, he’s deleted it so probably realised he was being a d**khead.

Definitely. Keep the comments within the band, no matter how frustrating it is, publicly having a tantrum just makes you look stupid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Definitely. Keep the comments within the band, no matter how frustrating it is, publicly having a tantrum just makes you look stupid.

Or shows how stupid you really are.

17 minutes ago, TimR said:

Try playing in a jazz trio in a beer tent at a fete. No one is there because they enjoy jazz, not even the bass player... but at least you get polite clapping between piano solos. 

I depped for a gig where the organisers wanted some low key jazz. I worked very hard to learn the set, was bricking it for most of the gig in case I let my friends down and then someone came up and asked us to play some rock and roll so they could dance. :facepalm:

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I depped for a gig where the organisers wanted some low key jazz. I worked very hard to learn the set, was bricking it for most of the gig in case I let my friends down and then someone came up and asked us to play some rock and roll so they could dance. :facepalm:

"Play something we know" 😆

12 minutes ago, How1 said:

I’m quite bored at work in my bobble hat, so looked him up. Apparently he was just confused about how Twitter works.

IMG_0140.jpeg

Yes. Doesn't everyone know that Twitter is just a massive collection of batshit crazy people.

In the old days every village had an idiot. Now we have a whole village full of idiots. We call it Twitter. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, casapete said:

Must admit at our gigs in theatres ( about as much of a polar opposite to S.Mods as humanly possible),

I am always amazed by how many times we get people on the front row who don’t seem to be enjoying 

it much when everyone else around them are going crazy. It’s easy to let their apparent indifference

start messing with your head - are we too loud / not playing well / a major disappointment etc. I usually

deal with this by trying not to look at them much, and concentrate on others. Even though I’m not the

best at ‘joining in’ when I’m in the audience at gigs, I do try to give off a positive vibe to the people I’m

watching. Mind you, I don’t go for front row seats either - often not the best sound wise and depending

on the stage height can be poor for vision too. ( Also at comedy gigs you’re pretty much guaranteed to

be part of the show at some point ).

Everyone is different and responds to what’s going on in their own way I guess.

They're not the IBMs are they - intense, bearded men? Usually avidly watching the guitarist's fingers, and wanting a set list at the end of the night. To be found at EVERY blues club, and most classic rock gigs.

I was once a very unenthusiastic member of the audience at a Hawkwind gig. I found a seat in the bar at the back of the venue and sat there trying to ignore everyone and everything around me. Thing is, though, that I am a lifelong Hawkwind fan and in fact I was (unknown to me) coming down with pneumonia at the time.

I've never heard of the band in question (have my own personal rock to hide under) but woman in a bobble hat sounds like the  sort of person I see in the waiting room while my wife has her radiotherapy. She might be doing the very best she can to enjoy music she likes, no one knows what's going in in a stranger's life.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

sounds like the  sort of person I see in the waiting room while my wife has her radiotherapy.

Very good point. 

It's a completely different story to thousands of fans not watching Royal Blood. 

41 minutes ago, TimR said:

Yes. Doesn't everyone know that Twitter is just a massive collection of batshit crazy people.

In the old days every village had an idiot. Now we have a whole village full of idiots. We call it Twitter. 

The next village to ours has an annual election for the official village idiot, who is awarded a cup for his trouble. Campaigning is very active! The same chap has won it for years, the cup is kept in the village pub and his name appears on it frequently. I know him quite well, and he is far from being an idiot!

There is also locally brewed beer called Village Idiot - it's very good!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

They're not the IBMs are they - intense, bearded men? Usually avidly watching the guitarist's fingers, and wanting a set list at the end of the night. To be found at EVERY blues club, and most classic rock gigs.

We ( fortunately) get very few IBM’s - our theatre gig doing ELO stuff doesn’t seem to attract many.

Other gigs I do can attract a few here and there. Fortunately in my acoustic duo my guitarist mate 

is so brilliant that they all make a beeline for him to talk about wound 3rd strings and ruptured 13th

chord inversions. Just one more reason why I love being a bass player.

• Haha 1

I would add you may be the best band in the world, consummate performers and giving it your all. However not everyone is going to dig your music. Lady in bobble hat may have been dragged there by her partner. Next week he/she will be suffering through Lana Del Rey or Gojira or whatever.

Edited by tegs07

Golden rule for me - if they're there and theres an option to walk away and they dont, then they're enjoying it.

The band is there to entertain the crowd, not the other way round :)

(although I do love a good whinge backstage if it's been a poor gig :) )

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Lady in bobble hat may have been dragged there by her partner. Next week he/she will be suffering through Lana Del Rey or Gojira or whatever.

I don't get this.

I don't take my wife to gigs and she doesn't take me.

She doesn't even come to see me play. It's healthy to have different interests. 

22 minutes ago, TimR said:

I don't get this.

I had a right laugh going to gigs with a mate that had different taste in music back at school/uni days. Highlights were The Proclaimers (his choice) U2 (his choice) The Pogues and The Wonderstuff (my choice).

Low lights were Transvision Vamp (his choice) and Fields of the Nephilim (my choice) we both suffered through our obligations with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Until now.. :D

Yeah, I did think that when I posted it, but in fairness, I wasn't really ranting about him, the disengaged 🛎🔚

Interestingly (or not) I was talking to a band this evening about the whole Royal Blood/Sleaford's thing and they told a tale of their own. They were playing a gig and there was a young lady in a wheelchair near to the front, who spent the whole evening engrossed in her phone. It turns out she was writing poems about how much she enjoyed their music.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I don't get this.

That’s a shame

We go to some gigs together, we have enough in common to share similar tastes. It’s a nice thing to do with your other half.

It's almost as if there's a PR agency out there suggesting to bands who's fortunes are sliding that being a complete silly billy in front or a large audience, real or virtual, is a great way to get your name back in the headlights. 

And if only there wasn't precedent, but ........ The spokesperson for a famous tech company who used to sponsor a sports team that was continually being found to have broken doping rules said that while winning races got their brand featured on the back pages of papers, being prosecuted for doping got them onto the front page, and in his opinion most people simply saw the name and didn't think to hard about the context. 

Understand how disheartening it is to see someone in the front row looking bored, but posting their face on Twitter is well out of order.
He's deleted it and (sort of) apologised, so that's to his credit.

I'm a big Royal Blood fan, but berating the audience at a Radio 1 roadshow for not knowing who they are makes him look like a right male appendage.

1 minute ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Understand how disheartening it is to see someone in the front row looking bored, but posting their face on Twitter is well out of order.
He's deleted it and (sort of) apologised, so that's to his credit.

I'm a big Royal Blood fan, but berating the audience at a Radio 1 roadshow for not knowing who they are makes him look like a right male appendage.

Royal Blood would have been better venting their frustration at their manager/booking agent.