Why become a member? ×

Another hissy fit - Sleaford Mods this time

mr4stringz

One half of the above band posted this on Twitter yesterday. 

He since deleted it and I’ve deliberately cropped out the photograph as it REALLY clearly shows the audience member.

Chewed out on social media for not being entertained by and into a band’s performance, and having your likeness posted along with it? Regardless of my, or anyone else’s, view of their music, I do wonder where thin-skinned eejits like this get off posting this kind of thing. What an absolute weapon.

IMG_5348.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Another one to add to the list of 'artists' that I didn't like that turned out to also be morons.

Morrissey and Bobby Gillespie are high up on that list.

Almost word for word the alternative wording I considered for my post.

Edited by mr4stringz

Thing is (up until this) she might have got home, to work etc and told people that she had the best night ever and that the band were amazing. Just because people aren’t jumping about and waving their arms in the air doesn’t mean they’re not enjoying the show. It’s not the audiences responsibility to perform for the artists.

• Like 25

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Thing is (up until this) she might have got home, to work etc and told people that she had the best night ever and that the band were amazing. Just because people aren’t jumping about and waving their arms in the air doesn’t mean they’re not enjoying the show. It’s not the audiences responsibility to perform for the artists.

Totally this. I’m always told I’m a grumpy looking git, but rarely am in reality. Also have a whole bunch of health conditions which limit what I can and can’t do physically (at gigs and generally in life). Saw Melvins twice last weekend and probably looked similar to the poor lass that got castigated here, but saw two of the best gigs I have in many a year. 

Proper rubbish way to use your platform.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s that sense of entitlement that gets me. There’s every chance that target of the tirade is on the spectrum and doesn’t react as you’d expect. It’s plain that these people have never played to ‘staff & walls’ in empty pubs and clubs. So what if one person doesn’t react the way you expect, what about the rest of crowd? If the whole crowd was less than enthusiastic, then they’re not the problem. I despair! :facepalm:

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Totally this. I’m always told I’m a grumpy looking git, but rarely am in reality. Also have a whole bunch of health conditions which limit what I can and can’t do physically (at gigs and generally in life). Saw Melvins twice last weekend and probably looked similar to the poor lass that got castigated here, but saw two of the best gigs I have in many a year. 

Proper rubbish way to use your platform.

I’m pretty much the same, if the criteria to see bands was leaping about and waving arms in the air then I’d be barred from every venue in the country.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

It reminds me of this:

At 9:08, was the girl with the black hair and black top (with white stripe) not enjoying it, or perhaps is she just a bit more introverted than the rest of the audience? I bet Iggy Pop didn't go on Twitter straight after that performance, and have a strop like a 14 year old girl.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It’s that sense of entitlement that gets me. There’s every chance that target of the tirade is on the spectrum and doesn’t react as you’d expect. It’s plain that these people have never played to ‘staff & walls’ in empty pubs and clubs. So what if one person doesn’t react the way you expect, what about the rest of crowd? If the whole crowd was less than enthusiastic, then they’re not the problem. I despair! :facepalm:

My first encounter with Sleaford Mods was when they played an all-day "festival" at a local music venue. They were lower down on the bill than the band I was in at the time, and IIRC they played to a mostly empty room. My recollection of the gig was that it was interesting for a couple of numbers but that was it. Personally I couldn't really see the attraction of a fairly incomprehensible shouty bloke and his mate checking his email (but that's just my musical taste). The point is that there was a time when most of the audience at their gigs wasn't that bothered, and they would do well to remember that.

• Like 1

Glad that The Teskey Brothers didn’t do the same in Bristol the other week. I also fit the angry face not overly enthusiastic profile. That gig in particular my back was playing up which made my natural visage even more surly. I found some of their stuff a bit samey and had it been a festival would have wandered off for a beer on occasion, but had a great time anyway and they are an excellent band.

In both this and the Royal Blood discussion there's an air of 'they get moody and say things I don't agree with.... I never liked them anyway, they're 1 trick pony's'.

Extend being offended by people in bands saying things you don't agree with and we'll end up with bland AI bands that never say anything contentious. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, SumOne said:

In both this and the Royal Blood discussion there's an air of 'they get moody and say things I don't agree with.... I never liked them anyway, they're 1 trick pony's'.

Extend being offended by people in bands saying things you don't agree with and we'll end up with bland AI bands that never say anything contentious. 

This may be so, but that's not what I took from the posts at all. We interpret things differently, it would appear. :|

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Nah, I think its possible to differentiate between bands which say something contentious; and bands which display some overly inflated entitlement/superiority and look down on their audience. We can avoid bland quite easily without the unpleasantness displayed by eg Royal Blood and Sleaford Mods.

• Like 4

Just now, paul_c2 said:

Nah, I think its possible to differentiate between bands which say something contentious; and bands which display some overly inflated entitlement/superiority and look down on their audience. We can avoid bland quite easily without the unpleasantness displayed by eg Royal Blood and Sleaford Mods.

I'm sure 70s Punk bands said far worse to/about their audiences, whereas Boyzone only ever complimented them. I know who I'd rather see live. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Can’t speak for others but was certainly at pains to avoid just that in my initial post -

“Regardless of my, or anyone else’s, view of their music”

• Like 1