Why become a member? ×

Another hissy fit - Sleaford Mods this time

mr4stringz

28 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm sure 70s Punk bands said far worse to/about their audiences, whereas Boyzone only ever complimented them. I know who I'd rather see live. 

Fair enough. Make sure you stand up with them for the key changes then. 

In all seriousness though, a lot has changed in 40/50 years in terms of what is seen as widely acceptable and what isn’t. You may not think that’s for the better, but if you’re suggesting it’s fair game to make a point of ragging out an individual audience member to thousands of social media followers with a photograph of them for the high crime of just standing there, I really can’t agree with you.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We’ve all had gigs where the audience or prominent members of the audience weren’t particularly engaged. How you deal with those gigs is just as important as how you act at a great gig. 

Agreed.

I do have some sympathy for the band, there's nothing more dispiriting than putting on what you think is a great show, only to spot someone right at the front displaying complete ambivalence. It also gets distracting, as all you can focus on is that person.

That said, there were probably a load of people there who really enjoyed it, so focussing on the negative isn't the way to view it. 

1 hour ago, jimmyb625 said:

I do have some sympathy for the band, there's nothing more dispiriting than putting on what you think is a great show, only to spot someone right at the front displaying complete ambivalence. It also gets distracting, as all you can focus on is that person.

Nope. No sympathy for the band.

My guess is that anyone who is hating the show won't be at the front of the stage, but will be at the back looking for the door.

If all the band can see, amongst the crowd having a good time, is one person not having a good time, then they should either try harder or get on with doing their job for the majority.

• Like 4

Personally I'd describe them as various things, but "band" isn't one of them. Seriously, when did a shouty bloke with a mic and a quiet bloke with a laptop and a can of wifebeater become a "band"?

• Like 1

Must admit at our gigs in theatres ( about as much of a polar opposite to S.Mods as humanly possible),

I am always amazed by how many times we get people on the front row who don’t seem to be enjoying 

it much when everyone else around them are going crazy. It’s easy to let their apparent indifference

start messing with your head - are we too loud / not playing well / a major disappointment etc. I usually

deal with this by trying not to look at them much, and concentrate on others. Even though I’m not the

best at ‘joining in’ when I’m in the audience at gigs, I do try to give off a positive vibe to the people I’m

watching. Mind you, I don’t go for front row seats either - often not the best sound wise and depending

on the stage height can be poor for vision too. ( Also at comedy gigs you’re pretty much guaranteed to

be part of the show at some point ).

Everyone is different and responds to what’s going on in their own way I guess.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Nope. No sympathy for the band.

My guess is that anyone who is hating the show won't be at the front of the stage, but will be at the back looking for the door.

If all the band can see, amongst the crowd having a good time, is one person not having a good time, then they should either try harder or get on with doing their job for the majority.

It depends on the gig. If it's a festival, then some people want to be at the front and won't move even if they don't like it. Similarly, people will get there early to save a good spot to see the headliner. You'll get some of these folks who won't be the slightest bit interested in the support and will have a conversation with their friends, or spend the entire set checking facebook.

I've been in that situation and it is a bit off-putting (bloke in the white shirt in the photo spent most of our set like that), although I've never been tempted to head over to social media to vent.

20221104_202600.jpg

• Like 2

I like Sleaford Mods a lot posting her picture was stinky poo. As they realised and removed it.I found it funny without it. 

I get the "respect the audience and the people who paid to see you" line of thinking but sometimes people are in the wrong place even though paid to be there. Remarkably often so in my experience.

I just remembered a lady who showed up on a Ryan Adams  acoustic guitar (solo) gig at a concert hall I worked for 10+ years.

It was a seated gig, slippy plastic chairs with no armrests, and people were dead quiet and very keen on showing how serious their interest in his music was. That all was leaning forward with keen interest.

Everyone was dead quiet until the aforementioned lady started shouting "I love you Ryan!" "I love you!" in the middle of a song. Ryan adams was looking at her with despair. "I love you!" was shouted back.

I talked to her and she was quiet for a song or two, only to then bring out a tambourine from her purse on the next one and she had no rhythmical sense at all. The "I love you!"'s had gotten even louder. I kind of loved it but gave her a "be silent and no tambourine" sign again and she nodded again and put the tambourine away.

A couple of minutes later she was shouting very loudly.

I was at the back of the hall at this point, and her proclamation of her love of mr Adams and the exuberant tambourine playing reached another level. "I love you Ryan!" had now changed to "I love your c**k Ryan!". Mr Adams face was a picture. Which made her shout it again and again. It was her grand finale and to be honest: to me it was the best thing of the night. I remember nothing else from the show.

Well of course she wouldn't leave her love voluntarily so we jangled our way out together in all friendliness with mad tambourine playing accompanied by shouts proclaiming love of mr. Adams genitalia. I tried not to show anyone how much I enjoyed it.

I don't think she'd have ever heard a song of his before in her life. And I don't think she thought she was going to see Bryan Adams either. 

Why this poorly worded story of little interest you ask?

Well, if the bobble hat lady had swapped places with the tambourine woman with a lust for very specific genetalia no one would have batted an eyelid at the Ryan Adams gig and I'm sure Sleaford mods would have loved the tambourine lady and her proclamations. Either the aliens are swapping people around or people make bad decisions on what concerts to go to. The truth is out there.

19 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

I assume they didn't start off by gigging pubs then!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rayman said:

I don’t know if I like them or not, but we’ve got tickets to see them in Manchester. Must remember to take my bobble hat.

Wouldn't that be great! If all the audience for their upcoming gigs wore bobble hats 😁

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

I assume they didn't start off by gigging pubs then!

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know much about them, but from what I can see on wikipedia, they've been around for a while. At a guess, I'd say they were more on the club/indie venue scene as opposed to pubs though.

On 10/06/2023 at 11:16, Lozz196 said:

Thing is (up until this) she might have got home, to work etc and told people that she had the best night ever and that the band were amazing. Just because people aren’t jumping about and waving their arms in the air doesn’t mean they’re not enjoying the show. It’s not the audiences responsibility to perform for the artists.

Completely agree. I'd be an awful audience member. I just stand there, dont move and just stare taking it all in.

I'll be enjoying it on a different level to the people jumping around, but I'd be enjoying it just as much, if not more.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1