Why become a member? ×

Another hissy fit - Sleaford Mods this time

mr4stringz

14 hours ago, Rayman said:

That’s a shame

We go to some gigs together, we have enough in common to share similar tastes. It’s a nice thing to do with your other half.

Yes. Probably badly worded. I mean I don't take her to gigs that she doesn't want to go to.

We've been to plenty of gigs together. 

The other members of the bands I play in bring their other halves to some gigs, but they sit at the back and look bored. I've been playing in bands for 40 years now and she's seen me play enough times now.

I've had far worse in terms of someone looking bored.

It was a barn dance that we were playing in a village hall. The stage had some steps leading up to it, front and centre. My then teenaged stepson Sub Zero was bored and lay on the top step of said steps, playing games on his phone. Well, at least he did for one dance, until I told him to bugger off.

It's all rather pathetic, really, the taking to social media to snipe when not everyone loves you...it's very needy, more than anything...

I took my lad to a gig of ours a few years ago at a smallish festival, he wouldn't even stay in the same space as we were playing: I found him later wayyyy across the field sat on the grass reading a book with his headphones on...

I don't think it's needing everyone to love you, at all. We've all played to disinterested crowds who, at least, have had the decency to fosters off to something they prefer and let you get on with it. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, everyone who has played live knows the score, I'm sure Sleaford Mods are no exception.

We all like a performing artist to engage with, and feed off the energy coming back from, the crowd, not to just go through the motions, so how can we expect them not react when someone stays right up the front showing utter disinterest, at best? It has to be distracting, at the very least. Putting a photo on twitter was bad form, most definitely, but at least they were emotionally engaged and gave enough of a sheeet to notice. Perhaps they haven't done enough gigs in pubs to an audience more interested in the football on the big telly for it not to still be something of a novelty for them? They haven't had the enthusiasm to care ground out of them and still value the reaction of the crowd and let that feed into their performance, I would guess.

Not a fan, btw, but did enjoy that song with Orbital recently. That's about it.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2023 at 10:16, mr4stringz said:

One half of the above band posted this on Twitter yesterday. 

He since deleted it and I’ve deliberately cropped out the photograph as it REALLY clearly shows the audience member.

Chewed out on social media for not being entertained by and into a band’s performance, and having your likeness posted along with it? Regardless of my, or anyone else’s, view of their music, I do wonder where thin-skinned eejits like this get off posting this kind of thing. What an absolute weapon.

IMG_5348.jpeg

Vegan's for you. He's got Beef with her I think. 

Dear oh dear, oh dear. Clearly this 'artist' hasn't performed at the Dog & Duck on a Friday night with all the house lights up and two old geezers and a dog sat right in front of you looking at you like you've just landed from Proxima 5. Until you've suffered that then you have no idea. 

As much as it's a shitty thing for him to have done, I bet lots of us have done things after coming offstage at a bad gig we're not proud of.  Mine was when my band had played a Boxing Day gig (probably in 2007 or so) and we had sucked.  It hadn't helped that the venue was tiny, overcrowded with bands and their gear, bereft of a decent PA etc etc, but the bottom line was that our band stank that night.  Usually we were pretty... memorable(?), but on that occasion we were out of time with each other, missing cues etc, generally dropping the ball.  I couldn't wait to get offstage, and as I threw my guitars into their cases a guy came up to me and said "Oh, you're the guitarist from that crazy band.  I really enjoyed your show".

To my eternal shame, I blanked him.

It didn't take long to realise what a Richard move that was, and I learned from my mistake; from that gig on I've always taken time to thank audience members for their comments, whether positive or otherwise.

• Like 1