Why become a member? ×

Gunk

Graham56

I recently looked at my bass – I mean really looked. And it’s in a filthy state...

So how do I get rid of serious accumulations of fretboard gunk?

It’s an old P-Bass with flats and a rosewood board. And finger gunk has really built up on the frets and the board. What’s the best way of getting rid? Just a damp rag? A little water and a soft toothbrush?

When I change strings I usually apply some linseed oil, but while this preserves the wood, it doesn’t really clean it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Graham

If real manky, as in a second hand purchase i go with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol applied with 0000 wire wool, board, frets the lot... then Lemon oil applied with 0000 wire wool... again board, frets, the lot...

Then a nice wipe down with a clean soft cloth.

• Like 3

There are many sorts of disposable wipes now that will do the job. If you're worried you can buy the Ernie Ball ones which are designed for just this situation

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ernie-ball-wonder-ball-wipes/36025?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4NujBhC5ARIsAF4Iv6cCCQ19XBs0-k7Sfgi66k9iQhFR4k8-XHYZGmHbFYznu-ybKdBXxHQaAlf4EALw_wcB

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

Actual gunk buildup can be hard to dilute with liquid solvent type remedies. Use an old creditcard/membership card as scraper to get most of the gunk off, moving with the grain ofcourse.

After that, if you really want to get to it, check out this guy:

At 9 minutes something he goes well in to fret and fingerboard care.

5 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

If real manky, as in a second hand purchase i go with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol applied with 0000 wire wool, board, frets the lot... then Lemon oil applied with 0000 wire wool... again board, frets, the lot...

Then a nice wipe down with a clean soft cloth.

Good advice. Fingerboard gunk is dead skin, grease and associated detritus. Rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit is a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol and some contain oils, so best avoided on bare wood. Just use isopropyl. The alcohol will help dissolve the grease and will evaporate without leaving a deposit, which is why wet wipes and similar are best avoided. Many contain things like lanolin. The various gunks sold as fingerboard treatments are similar in that they contain oils, etc. Best is to get the board clean, dry and grease free and then rub on a little (only a few drops needed) lemon oil, which is non greasy. if the wood needs it. Buy lemon oil from health food shops. It's much cheaper than getting it from music shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Lemon oil on a brand new Allparts neck once. I have no idea what I did but had to have the frets all polished up again as it was gritty and horrible. Everyone else gets along with it fine, but I will never use it again. 

43 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

This was a grimy fretboard on a bass I bought, I used alcohol wipes to clean it which worked very good, and lemon oil to restore and condition it after 

IMG_2430.jpeg

IMG_2440.jpeg

Only the best for a Kay. 😉👍

• Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 12:44, Graham56 said:

So how do I get rid of serious accumulations of fretboard gunk?

Prevent the accumulation in the first place by always.. (or at least whenever it is possible).. washing your hands before going near the bass. Granted, some dirt and grit will gather anyway, but nothing like what you describe.

I have often seen guitarists and bassists pick up their instrument with hands that looked like they had just been working on a car engine. 😁

1 hour ago, velvetkevorkian said:

This is why I have a small tin of lighter fluid in the cupboard. Been a while since I've had to deal with any real filth though, fortunately.

Lighter fuel is excellent stuff, less smelly than regular petrol, I always have a tin in stock too 👍