Why become a member? ×

Playing songs with a pick and fingers in the same set

BillyBass

I mainly play with a pick but there are a few songs, recently added to our set that I play better with fingers.  So I've been looking for a way to even out the tone and volume between finger and pick playing, as far as is possible, easily and accurately.

My favourite basses from my collection are active PJs, so, when moving to fingers, I've been dialling more bridge and less neck and then dialling in more volume.  Easier than this, I discovered yesterday, is the 'Presence' switch on my Gallien Krueger Legacy 800.  Flick it up and, hey presto, my fingers sound a lot like my pick tone.  The volume still needs to be altered and you still don't get the attack a pick gives but the sound is close enough.  

Another thing I have done is to use these picks. These are my preferred range.  I don't like large picks and the plastic or whatever it is made of dulls the treble and attack a bit, and the thicker the pick, the duller it gets.  The thick 1.5mm pick is not ideal for widdling.  We cover 'Welcome to Paradise' by Green Day, which has a 40 bar bass widdle and I started off with the 0.96mm pick from this range when I was learning it/acquiring the chops.  I'm now ok with the 1.5mm.

Anyone else got any tips?

jim-dunlop-gator-grip-standard-1-50mm-guitar-plectrums-12-pack-p12434-24994_image.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's that much that needs to change, have you asked your band mates or sound guy or friends in the audience if any adjustments are necessary in the mix?

Otherwise a preamp pedal is the easiest handsfree solution I think, like the MXR bass preamp. A pedal that doesn't change the tone that much, transparent sounding but with EQ and volume controls which you can set and forget.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-bass-preamp/

Other preamps are available but it's a deep rabbit hole!

I’m not sure there are songs that I find easier with a pick, but I definitely swap between pick and finger style depending on how much attack I require.

I don’t worry about tone or volume though. I’ll usually dial in a bit more treble if I’m using a pick, because most of the songs that require it have that gnarly pick sound that is more present in the mix anyway. 
I use Tortex Standard 1.0mm - the blue ones that John Deacon preferred. I don’t really like anything heavier than that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Isn't one of the main reasons for switching between fingers and pick to get a different tone?

I swap to both get the sound the song needs and for ease of playing.  Most of our set is punk (=pick) but some songs sound better with fingers, so yes, to a degree, you are right.  'Pump it Up', for instance, I believe, sounds better without the pick attack and slides in songs sound better with fingers.

10 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m not sure there are songs that I find easier with a pick, but I definitely swap between pick and finger style depending on how much attack I require.

I don’t worry about tone or volume though. I’ll usually dial in a bit more treble if I’m using a pick, because most of the songs that require it have that gnarly pick sound that is more present in the mix anyway. 
I use Tortex Standard 1.0mm - the blue ones that John Deacon preferred. I don’t really like anything heavier than that.

I'm not sure how important evening out the tone really is, I'm sure the audience won't care/notice.  I would be happier with an even volume though.  I'm experimenting here.

Never had any problem switching between pick and fingers. However I mostly use a pick that produces a very similar tone to my fingers and I use a multi-effects with a separate set of patches for each song. For me the choice to play with fingers or a pick is almost always down to feel rather than sound.

The biggest problem these days is finding somewhere to put the pick when I'm not using it now I have dispensed with having an amp and cabs.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The biggest problem these days is finding somewhere to put the pick when I'm not using it now I have dispensed with having an amp and cabs.

That is simple.  Loosen the screws a weeny bit on the pickguard of your Fender bass and slip it underneath :D 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Never been keen on the poke a pick down the scratchplate business, often leaves a wonky scratchplate after a while. 

Not done any nudist gigs so I've always got a pocket somewhere 😁

No, I don’t like doing that either. I did do it when I had my Deacon Limelight for the Queen tribute as JD usually had two blue picks under the top edge of his pickguard. Since I  replaced it with the Shuker JJ, I feel less inclined to repeat the process as I don’t want to damage it. I’ve taken to using a tiny dob of blu-tack and sticking it to the bridge when I’m not using it.

I swap a lot, fingers, slap, pick. 

I don’t change amp settings ever as I want the differences to be obvious.

I use a chunk of compression to help even out the massive dynamic differences though.

I’ll often lower the bass tone for some songs but it’s not technique dependent, could be for any of the 3 ways. The song makes the choice really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I always keep my spare picks in my back pocket when gigging. Nice & easy to get to.

It's amazing how useful pockets are for keeping things in, isn't it? :D

And before BigRedX comes back saying his stage wear doesn't feature common or garden accoutrements like pockets, I usually keep a spare plectrum in my mouth.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I play fingerstyle, cant get used to a pick, however i like the tone from players with picks so i grew my fingernails enough to catch the strings. Also reduces the risk of blisters on my wee delicate fingertips.

When i did play with a pick at the beginning i decided to cover a pick with denim which gave me almost the same tone as my fingers at the time. I still have it.

Here we go. Top one is my first pick that came with my first Columbas Jazz bass in mid 70's then a row of other picks / items i tried to get a specific tone. One is a flattened out half pence and below them is the famous denim pick and the bottom one is my current one in an attempt to play punk songs with a pick. I gave up and went back to my fingers and grew my nails a bit. I now add a couple of layers of clear matt nail varnish to harden the nails before a gig. Just my plucking fingers tho.

I use a decent compressor to smooth out any volume changes whenever i attempt a pick. Just enough compression to keep the high levels even.

Dave

image.png.ae419190151f5f420ebba19e7d7e7036.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I swap between fingers and pick depending on the song but I do it because of the different sounds. 

You could probably even it out a bit with EQ and compressor pedals but it'll all depend on how hard you're picking with each style.

2 hours ago, matski said:

And before BigRedX comes back saying his stage wear doesn't feature common or garden accoutrements like pockets, I usually keep a spare plectrum in my mouth.

Actually for one band my stage wear doesn't have any pockets. Luckily this is the band where I play all the songs with a pick...

Currently the spare picks live on the shelf that holds the computer. However I'm hoping to be able have the confidence to move it somewhere off-stage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Never had any problem switching between pick and fingers. However I mostly use a pick that produces a very similar tone to my fingers and I use a multi-effects with a separate set of patches for each song. For me the choice to play with fingers or a pick is almost always down to feel rather than sound.

I finger palm it with my little finger. #magician 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

As someone who plays both finger style and with a pick in our set, I guarantee that the only person who will consciously notice any difference is you.

We used to record all our rehearsals and no matter whether i played fingerstyle using my skin or with fingernails or even a pick there was very little difference on the playback yet i could definitely hear quite a difference at my end.

Weird but  ever so true.

I guess i just sound like me no matter what i do. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

I found a method that mostly worked … set your finger style tone on amp with bass tone fully open and get a good sound. 
Then when switching to a pick back off the tone slightly on the bass to remove a bit of Uber bright sound.

Having 1mm upwards picks helps with the switch in methods 

I find I can play songs in the set 80% with a pick and on some less rocky slow or dance ballads etc I can play using fingers over a clean sounding guitar in the band 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I swap a lot, fingers, slap, pick. 

I don’t change amp settings ever as I want the differences to be obvious.

I use a chunk of compression to help even out the massive dynamic differences though.

I’ll often lower the bass tone for some songs but it’s not technique dependent, could be for any of the 3 ways. The song makes the choice really.

I use compression in the same way (I don't slap though)

A Darkglass Super Symmetry has transformed my pick tone, it has done wonders for my confidence. 

• Like 1