Why become a member? ×

Playing songs with a pick and fingers in the same set

BillyBass

Another partially pick player here -- I favour the pick for some songs either for playing ease, or when I want a harder edged tone. Can't believe I used to play Rancid's Time Bomb with my fingers, it must have sounded really flat! I've got a pick-specific patch set up on the Zoom MS60B (slight volume drop, roll back on upper mids, wee boost to low-mids) which I'll select if I don't want any particular tonal or volume boost (see earlier comment re: playing ease), but Time Bomb has a patch of its own based on an SVT model with a gritty edge. I use that same patch with my fingers for Too Much Too Young and it seems to work well.

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I always keep my spare picks in my back pocket when gigging. Nice & easy to get to.

Do you not have one of those wee plectrum pockets on your jeans? Some silly people try to say that it's supposed to be for matches, but we know what it's really for. Either that or just stick the plectrum in yer gub.

54 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Do you not have one of those wee plectrum pockets on your jeans? Some silly people try to say that it's supposed to be for matches, but we know what it's really for. Either that or just stick the plectrum in yer gub.

I do but the bass hangs in the way, plus the back pocket easier to get in/out quickly. I do always carry my picks in said pick pocket when not gigging tho.

I use a pick mostly (Dunlop Nylon 88s, always), but when I switch to fingers, I just put the thing in me mouf...can backfire, though: we were playing a festival over the weekend and the geetard/singist was last to arrive (from a solo set elsewhere), so I set his geetar up...and realised I'd put his pick in me gob while twiddling leads...ew. 🙁

• Haha 1

I mainly play with a pick (Dunlop Nylon 88's).... but when I need a slightly warmer finger tone I just pop the pick on top of my amp or between my teeth and play either above the J pickup for a warmer but tight tone.... or above the P pickup for an even warmer finger tone. No EQ changes and no hassle....

Edited by cetera

I've started playing some songs with a pick. They're the rockier, more aggressive songs in the set which would have been played originally with a pick. All I tend to do is turn the volume on my bass down a notch, or two, and go for it. 

Funnily enough, I recently bought one of these. I havent used it yet, so cant really comment on whether its any good.

I do however, have a quick change from fingers to pick during the intro to Lizzy's Cowboy Song which I keep the pick between my teeth.

Yes I know! 🤣

61AqCDaRn4L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I do however, have a quick change from fingers to pick during the intro to Lizzy's Cowboy Song which I keep the pick between my teeth.

I wonder of Phil Lynott did that?

'I am just a cowgoy, lonesong on the trail...' :D 

• Haha 3